Menu

Read Alouds

Diana B

What ONE book would you say is a 'must read' for 1st/2nd grade? (These are books I'd be reading to him!)

I'm making our read aloud list for the next couple months. DS is almost 7, going into 2nd grade. I figured this would be a good way to make my list. :)

So what should we not miss? I don't want to get to 3rd or 4th grade and have him not be interested in something that would have been a great read now! :)

Here are a few chapter books my kids enjoyed this year. They were in K and 1st grade.

Stuart Little

My Fathers Dragon

Charlotte's Web

The Trumpet of The Swan

Mr. Poppers Penquins

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

James and the Giant Peach

Yay! I've got Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and My Father's Dragon on hold at the library already. I just had to check with the kiddo 'cause I couldn't remember if we'd read Charlotte's Web. He says no, so I'll have to dig that one out this year too! Thanks for the list! Keep it coming! Don't worry if we've read it, I'd love to satisfy my need to 'keep up' by knowing I've read some of the "Must Reads"! :D

My 7 year old dd has been obsessed with anything by Roald Dahl. Take your pick - they're almost all wonderful for that age. ;)

She has also recently loved Charlotte's Web, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and (of course) Winnie the Pooh. And try William Steig - we enjoyed The Real Thief recently and we're looking forward to Abel's Island.

My boys at that age enjoyed The Iron Giant, The Stories Julian Tells, My Father's Dragon series, Wolf Story, Animal Family, Stone Fox, Poppy series, The Smartest Man in Ireland, Chocolate Fever, Chocolate Touch, Wingman, Homer Price, A Lion to Guard Us, Harry Potter.

Anything by Dick King Smith (Water Horse, Babe the Gallant Pig) and Beverly Cleary (Ralph series, Henry Huggins) is a great choice.

My all time favorite is The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. ;) Because of Winn Dixie is a winner too.

Have fun reading!

Edited by lisabees