Menu

Property Taxes---rates for the year

We must own some really expensive/valuable property.......actually I own 13.3% of the property (my father's estate).

For one piece the bill was $14.90 for 3 acres. Another piece was smaller and the bill was $2.50 for the YEAR. It is likely costing the county money to send us these bills.

Someday we are going to visit some of these places and see where they are----mostly likely straight up a mountain with no access roads. Most of the properties are in West Virginia.

We must own some really expensive/valuable property.......actually I own 13.3% of the property (my father's estate).

For one piece the bill was $14.90 for 3 acres. Another piece was smaller and the bill was $2.50 for the YEAR. It is likely costing the county money to send us these bills.

Someday we are going to visit some of these places and see where they are----mostly likely straight up a mountain with no access roads. Most of the properties are in West Virginia.

Huh. My property tax bill for my business property (land + building) was about $45,000.

Most of the bills for the properties are under $100/year, most far under that. These though are "prime" pieces---mostly in very rough, rural areas, no access roads, straight up a mountain, in the middle of no where type things.

Sad to say my property taxes on my house are NOT this cheap.

My father had inherited a piece of property from his father. If I remember the story correctly, it was one of those things were my grandfather had bought the piece of property over the radio probably in the 1920's or 1930's. I think the property taxes were about $50. My dad kept it until he died and then we had to decided what to do with it. It turned out to be land locked property in another state, on a hill, surrounded by cows I think. It was cheaper for us to turn it back to the state because we would have had to file probate in another state. I feel bad that my dad and his dad paid taxes for something they never could have used. I guess it was the thought of owning a piece of land back then that was so attractive.

That is likely the type of property some of this is. We do own the gas/mineral rights on some of it and are getting some money in for those pieces. Some is worth the timber on it. I think we own an easement but none of the land as well.

This is all just coming in and at some point DH and I would like to drive to find these places just to see what they are/where they are, etc.

*sigh* Wild, wonderful West Virginia.... Your post is making me want to break out into a John Denver power ballad.