Menu

Poetry Anthology for Kids

MelanieM

I bought Favorite Poems Old and New when my twins were four, and I can honestly say it is one of the most read books in our library. It is a vast collection of many different types of poems, and my children return to it again and again. I highly recommend it.

I love Random House. I suggest you buy them all, and then some! :)

RH is nice because you can look up poems by subject, author, first line, title, and by category.

I've collected quite a few poetry books for children, especially vintage ones. If your children enjoy this sort of reading, they will find that each book in their collection offers different poems and illustrations to enjoy. I've been going through my books tonight, picking poems for next year. I can honestly say that it is not redundant to own a collection of poetry books.

Well, I should know better than to expect to come out of a thread like this without leaning toward "get all three!" :lol:

Thanks for all the feedback! It sounds like these are all great and I can't really go wrong. Perhaps I'll do eeny meeny and pick one, then kid myself for a while that I won't just go ahead and buy the others next month. ;)

I just ordered Favorite Poems Old and New. I had a chance to preview it in person -- with over 700 poems, it is quite comprehensive! The selections are wonderful.

I also ordered An Illustrated Treasury of Read-Aloud Poems. It is a very engaging book that dds like to browse through on their own.

We plan to use these during our "Tuesday Teatime" as part of the Bravewriter lifestyle.