Menu

Pop Up Camper?

I was reading the Pop Up camper thread. Could someone post a link to the Pop Up camper you have? Are you talking about the flat looking thing where the whole top pops up? Are there certain ones that are better than others? Is there anything in particular to look for, if one were looking to buy one?

Anyone happen to tow one of these things with a Honda Odyssey?!? :)

I tried tent camping with the kids a couple of times last summer. I would so love a trailer, like we used when I was a kid. But that's not going to happen. My dh _might_ be willing to splurge on a pop up camper, though.

Thanks for any suggestions!

yvonne

We have a Camplite by Damon popup and absolutely love it. It has a slide out for the table area and makes it much roomier than the usual pop up camper. They're not being made any longer but I still see a lot of positive reviews for them and they can be found for good prices.

You will want to check on weight capacity of your van, and then go from there. Unless you have a factory installed tow package it would need towing stuff plus they usually do something else on the engine end of things (you can tell how closely I paid attention to that part).

We have an old Coleman = I can't find a link to the older style anymore, but it's like the Sun Valley layout on this page (two king beds), but with an addition storage trunk like the Cheyenne has.

We pull it with a Chevy Venture (extended). I LOVE it. Things I would change - if I could find one for a reasonable price, I'd love one with a pull-out dinette like the newer models have, to have a bit more walking space. Running water = awesome.

I'm getting so excited! And being able to tow it w/ our Odyssey would be perfect!

Now I have to hunt down the Odyssey paperwork to see how much weight it can tow, just to be sure what the limit is. (I was just reading that the ones with the popout table area are much heavier, so that might not be an option...)

And then to stalk craigslist for a while and see if anything decent shows up there.

Thanks, everyone!

yvonne

We have one like this but it is about 8 years older

http://www.colemantrailers.com/theamericanaleseries - Cheyanne style. It does not have the pop out kitchen table area. My sister has that kind and she pulls hers behind a truck.

We pull our camper behind a 2000 Honda Oddessey and it works fine but we were told not to pull it over the Rockies. We pulled it to Bar Harbor ME from MA one years and it had to work hard to get over the mountains, but we did it fine. We love our camper and there are 6 of us. Mu older two sons are just about and over 6 feet tall and they have enough room. We love the space the trunk gives you. I will admit that this was the first year we actually had txo take two vehicles because of weight issues. But to be honest we were carrying 6 bikes and and a bike trailer along with all our regular gear and that probably was the issue. Oh, and if you pull a camper behind a car you'll want to get a special brake on your car to help your car stop.

I'm getting so excited! And being able to tow it w/ our Odyssey would be perfect!

Now I have to hunt down the Odyssey paperwork to see how much weight it can tow, just to be sure what the limit is. (I was just reading that the ones with the popout table area are much heavier, so that might not be an option...)

And then to stalk craigslist for a while and see if anything decent shows up there.

Thanks, everyone!

yvonne

Yes, that's why we didn't buy one with the pull out dinette option. It does give more floor space, but it's quite a bit heavier, so our Quest would not pull it.

We pull our camper behind a 2000 Honda Oddessey and it works fine but we were told not to pull it over the Rockies.

Oh, and if you pull a camper behind a car you'll want to get a special brake on your car to help your car stop.

That's great! We have a 2002 Odyssey. I had a hitch put on it when we bought it, hoping to have some sort of camper someday. A "towing package." I wonder if they put the special brake thing in then, too.

Thanks for the input!

Yvonne