Menu

Poll: Please read BEFORE voting

Which history schedule would YOU choose in my shoes? Please read post before voting.  

1. 1. Which history schedule would YOU choose in my shoes? Please read post before voting.

• Start all over at the beginning with TOG Year 1, Ancients.
    • Jump in where you "should" be with TOG Year 3, The Nineteenth Century
    • Other--please let me know what you're thinking.

Ok, confession and question time.

Confession: I should be on TOG Year 3 beginning in August. I purchased TOG two years ago and should have done Ancients, then Middle Ages.....but in reality, history has really not happened on ANY kind of consistent basis at my house.

Background: I work 30 hours a week out of my home and I can no longer ignore the fact that I am in desperate need of a time-management overhaul. My girls will be 7th, 5th and 2nd this year. I am in the process of doing a lot of planning and hope to have a schedule to work from, with lots of organization behind it, so that I can be diligent to get school done well while also managing to get my work done AND be a better wife and mom etc.

Question: With the above in mind, I have asked my husband to help with history because he loves it, understands it and it's not work for him. I am trying to decide whether to go back and start all over with Ancients (sadly, I won't be repeating much) OR to just jump in where we "should" be (TOG Year 3) on the schedule. My goal was to have the schedule be that my oldest would be scheduled so that she gets the full 4-year cycle of history in High School. If we stay on track the schedule would "work" for her but not for my younger two. My middle's high school schedule would be (TOG 3, 4, 1, 2) and my youngest's high school schedule would be (TOG 2, 3, 4, 1). Not sure how to think about it. (No matter what we do, two of them will have a "weird" history schedule.)

One added caveat is that my two best homeschooling friends are on the same history schedule as I am--meaning that they will be starting Year 3 (of a different curriculum) this year. My original planning idea was to stay on schedule with them so we had the opportunity to do group activities if/when we wanted to. For example, we planned to go to Williamsburg in February for their homeschool days next year which is perfectly timed with the curriculum.

So, what would YOU do in my shoes?

Thanks in advance for your votes and input. I'm headed out for most of the day. Will check back later.

I don't see a poll, but I'm right there with you! My kids are about the same ages as yours, too.

I say, move ahead with Year 3. All of your kids will still get the 4 year cycle and even though you don't feel like you covered much of the other time periods, they probably picked up more than you think.

I think the modern history is more valuable to know, anyway...JMHO.

Best wishes!

ETA: OK, I see the poll, now. :)

Start where you are. There is no such thing as "where I'm supposed to be" for history when approaching it chronologically, just where you are.

You also don't want to burden your dh with someone else's schedule, so let him know where you are and be from it.

You may also consider cutting back to a program with less involved, like the Mystery of History. They provide maps and lit. suggestions, and MUCH less teacher responsibility. That may be welcomed by your dh (who may not have teaching experience?)

Give yourself permission to do what works best, not what is ideal. Working outside of home schooling, especially at 30 hours/week is a huge workload. :grouphug: I know just what you mean.

:iagree:

with the advice already given....move on, leave the "past" behind.

Pun intended. If mind games help you start fresh, here's one:

Yrs 1 & 2 are "World History" and 3 & 4 are "Modern History." It makes sense to start at 1 or 3. I agree with the other poster about the importance of modern history. I am planning the switch to TOG when dd starts 8th grade...she'll be using Yr 4.

Geo

Edited by Geo

Hi,

I voted "other" in your poll, and I have a question for you. Why do you have trouble getting history going at your house?

Could TOG be part of the problem?

I have used TOG at dialectic and rhetoric level off and on. It takes a lot of your time IMHO! (I know you said dh will help.) When I was working 25-30hrs/wk IN my home I could not have done it and kept up. I had 2 schooling at that time and I used SOTW for the little and TWTM logic level history study for the older pretty much as outlined in the book. It worked well and older dd has actually gotten a decent understanding of the flow of history and retained via TWTM.

TOG is a great program and I really value its world view. I could not teach that way without TOG's help. I will return to it in high school for older dd. That's year after next for us. We'll do y3 in 9th, y4 in 10th.

Whatever you decide to do, I agree with those who say pick up where you feel you left off and continue. Good luck!

Mary

We jumped into year 3 without much consistency in history programs until 3rd grade. We did it because there were quite a few people doing the same year and we could do activities together. None of my kiddos will be with the "right" sequence in their high school years. It doesn't matter too much to me.

Beth

I voted 'other' too.

I was having the same sort of problem, it took 2 years of using TOG year 1 and I was only on the third section of it, not even done...

I have planning problems too, life problems...I went to another more open and go history/lit program- started off about where I left off with in TOG, which was the founding of Rome- and used the other program. I split my group of kids into 2 different cores- but even with TOG, they were on different levels and using different books, not much different, really.

It's gone better, not perfectly- but my 10th grader in the fall and 8th grader in the fall are on schedule to finish the core before the end of summer- perfect would have been to finish with the school year- but, this is still really great improvement.

good luck with your decision. Whatever you decide, jump into it with your whole heart and don't look back or beat yourself up.

I had voted for you to start at year three and then thought better of it!

Are you REALLY going to have time to do activites with your friends? If it were me I would just feel pressure to join because like you said, you are busy. I think you would be better off choosing a more open and go curriculum. TOG is a lot of work for those people who don't work!! You need doable. Doable is much better than not doing history at all because realistically, you don't have much time.

I want to re-do my vote and say OTHER! It is so easy when you are planning to think you can pull off a tough schedule AND have time for field trips but is another thing when it is happening.

Thank you for all of the wonderful replies. I appreciate everyone taking the time to vote and respond.

A couple of clarifications....

When I say we've hardly done history, I LITERALLY mean that we've hardly done it in two years. The reason is that I have done a really poor job of time management (working, schooling, housekeeping, being wife, mom, friend, etc.), so I've been making sure I hit the majors (learning to read, phonics for the youngest and math/spelling/reading for the olders). These I've done very regularly, but everything else has been hit or miss....or in the case of history.....miss, miss, miss.

We have paid for TOG. We own it, so I will be using it. I am hoping to be very organized so that we CAN get to this and do it and enjoy it.

My husband is HELPING me teach. I'll be making sure the reading is done, activities are done and he'll be doing the discussions and capturing their imaginations. He's fine to use TOG and will prep with the materials as we go along.

I WAS in the "pick up where you already are" party for a long time. Over the last few days, I've been convicted (not sure if that is the right word--but I was pretty adamant before about staying on track and now I'm thinking starting over makes sense).

Just not sure. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Thanks, All!

Thank you for all of the wonderful replies. I appreciate everyone taking the time to vote and respond.

A couple of clarifications....

We have paid for TOG. We own it, so I will be using it. I am hoping to be very organized so that we CAN get to this and do it and enjoy it.

If you *only* own TOG1 from a previous purchase and have not used it, then that is where you should start. No sense throwing more money after a program that has failed to prove its worth for you. (Not saying TOG is worthless AT ALL, just that you haven't gotten any value out of it yet).

If you own both TOG1 *and* TOG3, here are some questions for your considerations:

1. Do you already have resources for either year? Think about starting with the one that will require the least work to gather resources.

2. Do you, your husband, or your children have a particular enthusiasm for either historical era? That can be a factor in tipping the decision.

3. If neither of the above considerations help, you should just probably start at Year 1 and get the benefit of studying chronological history from the beginning.... Your 7th and 5th graders will be old enough to appreciate and learn from the flow.

HTH,

I see that I'm in the minority, but because you've barely covered years 1 and 2, I would go back and start with year 1. Your oldest can do Years 1-4 in the next 4 years, then a year of American history and senior year on government or civics or geography or world history. Your second child would be on track to do the 4 year cycle twice before graduation and who knows how life will pan out by the time your youngest is in high school. I wouldn't worry too much about counting through the 4-year cycles so far in advance for him. But keep in mind that whether you choose year 1 or year 3, your kids will be fine in the long run.

I voted start at Y1. No matter what year you end up doing, may I gently suggest going lightly on the many extras TOG includes? It sounds like you've got your hands full. I know you said your dh is doing history, but will he be doing TOG's related artist & composer & inventor studies, maps/geography, writing, church history, and world view stuff too? I apologize, I've never seen TOG in person so I don't know if all of that is even included, if it's woven into the history, or if it's off to the side as separate options.

I say go through WTM logic stage history & see what the bare requirements are that you can get away with. Then use TOG in a trimmed down fashion, maybe just the actual history + world view + geography, if it's easy to separate out the other stuff. When planning your weeks, plan lightly or try to include more independent things for the olders.

HTH!

I say go through WTM logic stage history & see what the bare requirements are that you can get away with. Then use TOG ...

When planning your weeks, plan lightly or try to include more independent things for the olders.

:iagree:

1) Re-read the WTM logic stage history chapter to get focused on what your logic stage kids should be doing. Read, outline, timeline, map. Think of it as a minimum, if that helps.

2) Start doing that bare minimum. Don't complicate it with trying to do everything bec. 1) you cannot do everything, and 2) you'll end up doing nothing. (At least that's what happens with me! :) )

Use TOG, Kingfisher, whatever. It doesn't really matter as long as you just get started.

Start over with Yr. 1 or continue with Yr. 3. It doesn't really matter. Either way, if the kids are studying history, you're ahead!

I found that I can be the biggest obstacle to my kids' actually moving forward. I would analyze every subject to death --what's the best curriculum? What order should we do it in? How should I tweak it to get the most out of it? What can I add? Ad infinitum. Analysis is much easier for me than actual teaching.

When I take myself out of the middle, just start with a curriculum, give them a checklist, my 9 year old boys are old enough to be able to get a lot done on their own when I get out of the way. They just keep plowing forward! Yes, we discuss, we correct their work, we talk a lot, but, boy, they can read a lot and understand a lot on their own. THEY've got the time and the mental cycles. I'm spread thinner.

Just my (recent) discoveries! :)

Good luck to you!

yvonne

Ok, Ladies,

You are all marvelous and very encouraging and helpful. Guess I needed that.

I am coming away from this thread:

Leaning towards starting "over" (if you only knew how little we've done, you'd laugh out loud at that statement). I own the first 3 years of TOG. I probably have the most books purchased and ready for year 1. My husband, I think, would like to start at the beginning and I'm feeling more and more inclined that it's the best thing to do for OUR family and circumstances.

That said, I'm also feeling encouraged that starting at Year 3 is not bad and my kids will learn no matter where we start so I can relax about this.

Love the suggestions to re-read WTM section and to plan to do minimums at first. This is great wisdom for our current circumstances.

SIGH. Truly grateful that you guys took the time to share your thoughts. Very appreciative of the sisterhood I felt reading them.

Have a great day, All!

My vote . . .

Turn a "new" leaf and start at the beginning--especially since your husband leans towards year 1. If there are areas that the kids seem to know pretty well, move on to the next thing.

Your progression would go something like this:

Year 1: 7, 5, 2

Year 2: 8, 6, 3

Year 3: 9, 7, 4

Year 4: 10, 8, 5

Year 1: 11, 9, 6

Year 2: 12, 10, 7

(this gets your 12th grader through history up to the 1800's) maybe you could have your older read a modern history book/text in the summer before college?

year 3: 11, 8

year 4: 12, 9 (perfect for your middle child!)

year 1: 10

year 2: 11

year 3: 12