Menu

? about Netflix

Kelly in IL

Hi

I haven't even considered joining Netflix before, but after reading some of the posts suggesting ways to use Netflix as a homeschooling aid, am giving it serious consideration.

I would be using these movies along with TOG, and was wondering how that has worked for others in terms of being able to access the movies you need when you actually need them. If there are a bunch of us needing the Egyptian movies at the same time, how can we all possibly have access to them?

Probably a silly question, but we're not in a position to join something like this unless we are really going to be able to use it!

Thanks in advance

Kelly

Hey Kelly,

We have had Netflix for about 2 years and love it. I'm using it a lot right now to focus on Science (since that slips a lot around my house).

The great part about Netflix is that many of the movies, TV shows, documentaries, etc. are on instant play now. Many times you don't even need to wait for the disk to come, you just push play. We watched a Nova program about the Mars rovers today. It's so nice not to have to watch commercials, too!

I think it's a great way to supplement any educational subject.

Blessings,

We've never had a problem getting DVDs, with the exception of a just released title that might have a short wait. I assume they have many many copies of popular movies. Other than that I just doubt there are a huge number of people seeking the same educational videos at the same time.

We've been using it for several months now and haven't waited a bit. We're actually discussing bumping our membership since we only have the 1 DVD at a time membership. We use the play now membership regularly and have enjoyed many play now movies this summer for the children...and for me :) it's nice to see all the chick flicks I want w/o dh feeling like we're tossing money at Blockbuster (which, btw, I will not go to now, b/c between Netflix, Redbox, and Blockbuster Express for $1 why would I?)

If there are a bunch of us needing the Egyptian movies at the same time, how can we all possibly have access to them?Thanks in advance

Kelly

They have distribution centers all over the place. It never takes more then a couple days to get a movie. Even with new releases Netflix will often say there is a waiting period and we still end up getting it right away. The one thing you should know with new releases is that Netflix gets them about 4-weeks after they are released! I think that is one way they keep costs down. It's the best $11 a month we spend. In fact, we are going to cancel cable after our current promotion price is over.

I was concerned about turn around time when we joined Netflix. I've been very pleased. Our distribution center is in the nearest large town and I can return a movie on Monday and have the new one on Wednesday, Thursday at the latest. Many options are available on instant watch too. It will tell you when you put something in your queue whether it is available or if there is a short wait or a long wait. The only thing I've had on long wait for over a week is a new Bill Nye DVD. Bill is popular guy.

we dont' have cable so netflix is our entertainment and source for educational movies as well. love love love netflix!!! with the instanawatch feature, I have been known to take the laptop in the bathroom with me to watch a movie while taking a bubblebath!!

We love Netflix and using it through the Wii has improved it tremendously. The only caution is that when the Netflix disc is in the Wii, the kids can browse through all titles. I haven't found any way to filter these so we hide the disc and they aren't allowed to watch anything w/o us. The TV has controls anyway, but I look forward to the day when we can put a G maximum rating on the Netflix account. We have found that it is great for Science, History, and there are a few 'classics' (Dickens, Twain, etc.) movies on there as well. The kids watched Shiloh last night and really enjoyed it. It has been a good experience.

Since we were studying Ancients, we watched the 'Egypt Unwrapped' series. We also watch Blue Planet and a lot of BBC stuff. We watched James and the Giant Peach after reading it as well as The Secret Garden just to name a few. The kids like to compare the books to the movies and always remark how much better the books are. We talked about how Spiker could have been cast differently, we didn't like the cartoonish bugs, etc. It is a great tool.

My younger ones liked the Walking with Prehistoric Beasts and things like that. I think they were BBC series. You have to explain your theories on evolution/young earth/old earth, etc. but they are great series. You will be surprised by how much is on Netflix and how much the young ones will be interested in. I am not sure if this is on there or not, but all of my children loved the John Adams series by HBO (editing the tar and feather scene of course). There is a wealth of info available. Get the free trial and see how you like it.

We love Netflix here. I wish I could convince my hubby to cancel cable as we rarely even watch it.

Recently we watched the original version of "Clash of the Titans" (the story of Perseus and Medusa) and my 6 year old was ENTHRALLED. He called it the "best movie in the world, ever." It was a neat little exposure to ancient Greece.