Menu

The NEW First Language Lessons 1 and 2 are available!

Renee in NC

So I just bought the FLL 1/2 book. Was that a mistake? Is this new version the one everyone will be getting now?

Not a mistake - the new books are basically the same, but broken into two books and the redundancies between FLL and Writing with Ease have been fixed. The older version is still just fine!

Thanks for the update! I love PDFs, off to purchase...

The Level 2 PDF is out of stock already, wonder if that's a mistake, hehe.

I noticed that as if I were going to use this, vol. 2 is the one I'd be looking for. When you click on it, it says "Coming soon!".

I just remembered that a while back both were listed as out of stock. Maybe it's only vol. 1 that's finished?

I've got SOTW 1 on the iPad, bought it as a Kindle book. That's the only version available for the Kindle so far. I love Kindle for the iPad, and hope to keep finding more and more curriculum to use on it!

I'm sure you could use the PDF file and MP3 audio off PeaceHillPress.com too!

Edited by Satori

Would someone who has purchased it look and tell me if "The Caterpillar" has been updated? In the original edition, and edited version of the poem was used.

This is Rossetti's version:

Brown and furry

Caterpillar in a hurry,

Take your walk

To the shady leaf, or stalk,

Or what not,

Which may be the chosen spot.

No toad spy you,

Hovering bird of prey pass by you;

Spin and die,

To live again a butterfly.

They kept that poem the same inside the lesson, but as a footnote in the lesson, it mentions this:

Several versions of this poem have appeared in print. The best-known alternative version was first published by Macmillan in

1893 as part of Sing-Song: A Nursery-Rhyme Book:

Brown and furry

Caterpillar in a hurry,

Take your walk

To the shady leaf, or stalk,

Or what not,

Which may be the chosen spot.

No toad spy you,

Hovering bird of prey pass by you;

Spin and die,

To live again a butterfly.

Thanks. Though it's funny they call the original the "alternative." :tongue_smilie: As far as I can tell, the version contained in FLL originated in the Treadwell Primers and dates from the early 1900's.

They kept that poem the same inside the lesson, but as a footnote in the lesson, it mentions this:

Several versions of this poem have appeared in print. The best-known alternative version was first published by Macmillan in

1893 as part of Sing-Song: A Nursery-Rhyme Book:

Silly question, as I have never used FLL. Is level 1/2 only done orally? There are no worksheets?

Yes, it's mostly oral. Many lessons instruct you to write out a copywork exercise, but there are no worksheets for this.

Silly question, as I have never used FLL. Is level 1/2 only done orally? There are no worksheets?

We've been doing FLL 1 (the first half of the "old" version) orally for Kindergarten -- it's gentle, repetitive, and perfectly fine to do orally. There are some copywork suggestions, but we mostly skip those. As the teacher, I do some writing. I use a piece of notebook paper and a pencil for every lesson. That's it!

We skip the actual narrations, too, because I do those with other material (a bit differently).

We skip the picture narrations, too, for the same reason.

So, what we "use" out of FLL is the grammar (e.g., nouns, pronouns, verbs) and mechanics (e.g., capitalization, punctuation). And that's really enough. We plan to do the second half of the old version (FLL 2) for 1st grade next year. It's not too tough, I think. HTH.