Menu

S/O Fairy Tale Thread - rec. fairy tale compilation

piraterose

I'm been going around and around with this for a while, and the Fairy Tale thread brought it to the foreground again.

When I was little we had a wonderful compilation book of fairy tales that had beautiful artwork (very soft and flowy). I'm not necessarily looking for the same one for my daughter, but something similar that is a keeper. I found this one that I finally settled for, but the pictures are very Richard Scary style and the stories have been somewhat modernized in a way they gives the characters a bit of an unfavorable attitude.

I looking for one that has a good selection of stories including lesser known ones like Snow White & Rose Red and Twelve Months and well as the usual suspects.

Does anyone have and suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

You might scroll through the books in this vintage collection to find your childhood book.

A very nice all-in book is this Reader's Digest Anthology: The World's Best Fairy Tales (Belle Becker Sideman) -- 69 classic tales from around the world. The illustrations are weak, though. Mine is copyright 1967. Here and here are used 1977 copies for sale -- I don't know if they are the same as my older edition or not.

stories included:

The pied piper of Hamelin - Snow White and Rose Red - It's Perfectly True! - Tom Thumb - The Nightingale - Chicken Little - The Frog Prince - Cinderella - The Princess and the Pea - Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves - The Golden Goose - Why the Sea Is Salt - The Ugly Duckling - Jack and the Beanstalk - Two Frogs - The Snow Queen - Six Sillies - The Hedgehog and the Rabbit - Thumbelina - The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Red Riding Hood - The Little Mermaid - Five Wise Words - The Goose Girl - Beauty and the Beast - The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - The Tinderbox - Little Fir Tree - The Bronze Ring - Three Billy Goats Gruff - The Boy Who Kept a Secret - The Magic Kettle - Jorinda and Joringel - Puss in Boots - The Emperor's New Clothes - Billy Beg and His Bull - Little One Eye, Little Two Eyes and Little Three Eyes - The Red Shoes - The Steadfast Tin Soldier - Snegourka, the Snow Maiden - The Three Little Pigs - The Shoemaker and the Elves - Doctor Know-It-All - The Six Swans - Dick Whittington and His Cat - Rapunzel - Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp - The Three Bears - Rumpelstiltzkin - The Golden-Headed Fish - hansel and Gretel - The Brave Little Tailor - The Gingerbread Man - A Horned Goat - Seven Simons - The Little Match Girl - East of the Sun and West of the Moon - The Musicians of Bremen - Blue Beard - The Princess on the Glass Hill - The Half Chick - Sleeping Beauty - The Magic Carpet - Jack the Giant Killer - Twelve Dancing Princesses - Little Claus and Big Claus - The Colony of Cats - Sindbad the Sailor

Not exactly what you asked about, but my DH has been slowly finding for me thru ebay the series of "Book of..." by Ruth Manning Sanders with wonderfully detailed B&W line drawings by Robin Jacques, published in the 1960s-1970s. Each book has 12-14 stories all based around a type of fairy tale character (Book of Dragons, Book of Mermaids, Book of Giants, Book of Dwarves... etc.). Lovely, well-written retellings of fairytales from around the world.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I looking for one that has a good selection of stories including lesser known ones like Snow White & Rose Red and Twelve Months and well as the usual suspects.

Our two favorite anthologies are Classic Fairy Tales (exquisitely illustrated by Scott Gustafson) and The Golden Book of Fairy Tales.

For lesser known tales, I'm collecting all of Andrew Lang's fairy books. I think there are 12 in all.

We have this Little Golden Book Treasury I picked up at a garage sale that my kids love http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-Rhymes-Little-Library/dp/B000NQI8AK/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1 and also this A Treasury of Children's Literature http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Childrens-Literature-Armand-Eisen/dp/039553349X I picked up at a used curriculum sale. These two are my kids favorites.

Guest Cindie2dds

We love A Treasury of Children's Literature (it has beautiful illustrations). Andrew Lang's collection is great, although there aren't color illustrations, if that matters. I got 50 Bedtime Stories from B&N's bargain rack. It has some unusual stories in it, and my girls love it.

Guest Cindie2dds

Oops. Didn't see this right away.

Their TOC had the stories divided by type and includes the reading time from 3 to 25 minutes. Some section titles are: Bold Lads and Brave Girls, Strange an Magical Tales, Along the Road, What Nonsense, Birds Beasts and Dragons, Good and Bad Wishes.

The stories in Good and Bad Wishes are: Carrie's 3 wishes, Good Luck Is Better Than Gold, The Fisherman and His Wife, The Golden Snuffbox and Woman's Wit.

Hope this helps!

I haven't found a single fairy tale volume I've loved; mostly I've found that I prefer different illustrators, etc for different tales. However, the Barefoot Books are beautiful, and there is a very pretty edition of Anderen's Fairy Tales (which are quite dark) by Lisabeth Zwerger. There is another one called Classic Fairy Tales (Candlewick Illustrated), adapted by Berlie Doherty and illustrated by Jane Ray.