Menu

Has anyone used Beautiful Feet Books?

*AM*

I bought one and was going to use it. But the main books I need are constantly on hold at our library so I haven't had the chance to use it. Trying to catch them now on paper back swap or book mooch.

They all look really wonderful. The one that I have I think will be a big success if we ever get around to it. I know, that's much help for a review. :)

We have used geography and ancient history (not solely, but incorporated it into our other curriculum) and we enjoyed it. It is simple, yet you can make it more complex. We were able to just buy the tm and get library books so it was inexpensive.

We just finished the Primary Early American set. We have also used the Primary Character through Literature. We really enjoyed both of them. We have History of Horses and the Geography set, but we haven't used them. They both look really good. I really love the books that they use.

Suzanne

LOVED the Beautiful Feet Geography Guide and Map Pack to go with the 4 Holling C. Holling books -- the books are wonderful, and the program was a high water mark in our elementary years of homeschooling.

...dd will do BF Geography this coming year, and I'm so excited! I love the maps, too.

Other BF stuff we've used:

Early American History - Primary

Early American History - Intermediate (5th grader did this while 3rd grader did the Primary)

History of the Horse

We liked it all! I added a bunch of independent readers, sonlight-style, to our early american history year, and we ended up not using America's Providential History. But I liked doing American history where the topics are arranged mainly by biographies. A couple years later, ds did US history using the textbook approach, so it was great to do both methods.

HTH!

I've used quite a few.

Primary:

US History - not a great hit unfortunately

Intermediate:

Early US- great experience! Everyone loved it

Westward Expansion- not so much a hit. It goes back in time and repeats a fair amount from Early US. Now, when I say repeat, I don't mean "word for word", but rather content. For example, both cover Lewis and CLark in some depth. It was fun and we enjoyed it the first go round, but none of us were too thrilled with studying the same topic again. If I had to do it over again, I would get both guides and do them together.

Jr. High:

US and World - I liked it, dd did not. Dd does not like a literature approach study to begin with, and she found the Foster books very dry. She did learn how to research and dig for information so I consider the program a success learning wise. She retained a great deal of historical information as well. But, she really, really, really did not like it. I won't be using it for high school

Misc:

Geography- cute, enjoyable

History of Classical Music- wonderful! Thoroughly enjoyed it! One of the best curriculum choices of the year.

History of Science - okay. I certainly don't regret this choice. The biographies and audio cds were very nice. Of course, The Way Things Work is a fun book. It was not a great science course, but for what it offered, it was a nice course. Both dc retained a great deal about the inventors and scientists studied.

I did not care for their character studies. The books selected were nice and we enjoyed reading them, but I found the study questions to be rather dry.

If you have a dc that likes the literature approach, BF is a good choice.

I love their books. I used their Primary American history years and years ago along with SL. The books we used are still on our shelves all these years later.

I also have the guide for ancient history that I picked up for free and am saving in case we ever need a gentle, laid back year with ancient history in the future.

My dd (9) has been doing History of the Horse this summer. I got most of the reader books either used or from the library, then bought the Guide used online here at the WTM forums. She has been enjoying reading the books, doing several geography projects as well as drawings of horses. She skips over the bible verses (reading then, but not writing them), and I haven't been adamant that she record everything in her notebook, but I think overall she is getting a lot of information. She is crazy about horses, and I thought the Marguerite Henry books were just fantastic.

• 1 year later...

We used Early American History Primary for 2nd grade, there are two versions to it--basic & complete. For my son, basic was the way to go at that grade. He could discuss the books, & help with the timeline, but notebooking was not a skill he was ready for.

We used Geography for 3rd grade. Again, mostly we read the Holling books & discussed them & did the maps together.

The book choices were great. The teacher's manual had directions for questions to notebook answers to, we did them orally.

Ginger

homeschool mom

We are about to wrap up BF Early American History - Primary. It has been a fabulous year of history for us, and my son has enjoyed every book we read. The D'Aulaire books are especially nice, and we will be holding on to them for grandchildren someday.

For a true living books curriculum, I don't think you can go wrong with BF.