Menu

Camping with a Popup Camper ??'s

Every summer our family goes camping for a week. We have always used tents, but this year, we're going to take a pop up camper (renting it). I'm hoping I can get some help. :001_smile:

I'm not sure if you're supposed to (or can use) sheets and blankets on the beds, or do you use sleeping bags? If we use sheets and blankets, can you fold up the beds with all that on or do you have to make beds once you get set up?

Any other pointers would be much appreciated. :D

I use blankets, but I make the beds after we set up :) We used to be tent campers, b ut love our new pop-up!!!!!

Talk to the kids about opening and shutting the door. They constant in and out is really annoying :) plus it lets in bugs...and if you have ac it lets the cold air out.

I would have the kids go to sleep before you an dh...the constant fidgeting of kids going to sleep is a bit difficult. It sorta rocks the camper.

We hang Christmas lights around the awning. Thats all I can think of right now!

We were tent campers for 10 years. Now we have a pop-up and we love it!! We also use sheets and blankets and we set them up after we set up the pop-up. Bring plenty of blankets because the a/c in pop-ups is usually pretty cold. Most campgrounds now have cable, so if you are a tv watcher you might want to bring one. We do not allow the kids to watch tv or play video games until they are showered and ready for bed. Then they usually watch a dvd or play games quietly. We also bring lots of board games and cards. We love to play board games when we camp. We also have a microwave that stays in the camper. I make dinners before we leave and then heat them up in the microwave. I also bring coffee singles and heat water up in the microwave to make my coffee. You are going to love having the pop-up! Enjoy!

We own a pop up. I grew up camping in pop up and just love it. We use fitted sheets for the beds. And I bring some blankets as well as a few sleeping bags. If the pop up has AC, it can get rather cold at night. When we pop down, I remove all the bedding.

We hang rope lights around our awning. Looks pretty and provides light too!

We bought a porta-potty type thing that slides into a cabinet. Great for night time bathroom needs. Otherwise you'll have to walk to the bath house. Before the age of small porta potties...my mom always brought a fish bowl for us LOL.

We use a piece of indoor outdoor carpet under the awning, in front of the camper.....it runs nearly the legnth of the camper. It helps cut down on dirt getting on everything.

I hope you guys have a fun trip! I love our pop up.....I couldn't sleep on the ground in a tent with no AC LOL.

We love our pop-up. We make the beds BEFORE we get there, so it is folded down with beds made (not pillows obviously) We use sheets/blankets. I always have extra blankets just in case. We also have a indoor/outdoor rug in front of the door under the awning. There is a great forum that I frequent for ideas- popupexplorer I think is what it is. Google it. :-) Have fun!

We hang rope lights around our awning. Looks pretty and provides light too!

We use a piece of indoor outdoor carpet under the awning, in front of the camper.....it runs nearly the legnth of the camper. It helps cut down on dirt getting on everything.

We did these exact same things when we owned our pop-up! Brings back memories.

We used ours every weekend possible. And it was nice having A/C and not having to sleep on the ground:)

We also put sheets on the bunks. If you've got a younger child you may want to put a water proof pad down too under the sheet to protect the mattress. For some reason my little's leak more at night while camping. We don't have air but we do have a small plug in fan for hot nights (which we've used just once! in two years!) We've found that the nights really cool off even if the day is hot.

I saved the kids's old comforters and use those in place of sheets as I like having more layers than just a sheet between stinky campers and the mattresses. We lay those out on the two pull-out beds and pack the rest. Everyone then can choose if they want to bring their blanket or sleeping bag.

We leave the propane stove and tank at home and bring electric appliances--especially love the hot pot for heating water quickly, plus a toaster oven and an electric skillet come along all the time. I add in a crock pot or my 6 quart Nesco roaster for other cooking.

If you'll be using coolers, plastic peanut butter jars with duct tape wrapped around the lid seal the food in and water out well.

We love our pop-up! We actually use sleeping bags underneath, and a sheet or light blanket on top. I don't want to make beds at home, much less on a camping trip.

Ditto the indoor outdoor carpet. We keep a small broom by the door so we can sweep several times a day to clear out dirt - that way it never really gets bad.

We don't take any electronics - other than a weather radio. Plenty of board/card games. We also use the rope lights on the outside, as several pp mentioned.

Right now our camper is popped up in the backyard - ds has friends sleeping over and we set them up outside.

All this talk makes me want to pack up and go!!

Have a great trip.

We tented for a decade faithfully before getting a pop up - due to too many rainy rainy trips. We love our pop up and use sleeping bags though we put fitted sheets on the mattresses to protect them. I don't let my kids go on the beds during the day since they tend to track stuff where they will be sleeping and then complain about it later. We don't bring any electronic things and only use the stove that is attached to the outside of the camper, rather than the stove inside. And no, we have no AC. We live in the northeast where it usually gets cooler at night! Enjoy!