Menu

s/o audio books

from the audio book thread it seems as if many of you/your children enjoy audio books. We will soon be taking a multi-day driving trip and I'd like to have a couple (few) audio books for the whole family to enjoy in between videos, games & whining.

My oldest has already read the Harry Potter books and is now reading the Percy Jackson series and enjoys both very much. We've all read (or had read to us) Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, Heidi, War of the Worlds, etc.

Any suggestions of audio books available for Ipod (I can listen to my ipod through my car stereo) that would keep the oldest & middle (10 & 8) interested and perhaps the youngest (6) while not causing me to fall into a coma and drive off the road?

Will you be in an area where there are Cracker Barrel restaurants? If so, you can buy an audio book at one of their stores (in the restaurant), and return it to another store along the way. You do have to pay up front, but they refund you the purchase price minus $3.49 per week you've had the book.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

The Hobbit by Tolkien

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman-This is my favorite childrens book of the decade. There is a trilogy so if it is a hit on audio they can enjoy the next two novels.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

The Hobbit by Tolkien

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman-This is my favorite childrens book of the decade. There is a trilogy so if it is a hit on audio they can enjoy the next two novels.

Good choices. DS1 has already read Inkheart (and most other Corneila Funke books. He's like me in that when he discovers an author he likes, wants to read every book every written by that author until it sickens him).

I hadn't thought of The Golden Compass and a trilogy sounds like a good bet for 30 hours of driving. Do you think my very conservative christian mother who is accompanying us will be offended by any of the content? I only say this because of all the brouhaha about the movie.

ETA: Just read a review of The Book Thief and may get it for myself!

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

Will you be in an area where there are Cracker Barrel restaurants? If so, you can buy an audio book at one of their stores (in the restaurant), and return it to another store along the way. You do have to pay up front, but they refund you the purchase price minus $3.49 per week you've had the book.

I hate to admit that I have never been in a Cracker Barrel. <yikes!>

Some of our recent favorites have been:

Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Tiger, Tiger by Lynne Reid Banks

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

Great suggestions - everyone (I am not motivated to figure out multi-quoting). Keep 'em coming and Thanks!:)

I rarely listen to audiobooks. These really may not work (or be appropriate), but I really enjoyed listening to Walter Cronkite's Autobiography. He reads it and if you're of an age to remember him on the news, it was fun listening to him again. (He does the voice of Ben Franklin on Liberty's Kids, so that may be a draw for younger kids.)

Also, Angela's Ashes is read by the author, Frank McCourt. Depressing stories about his childhood in Ireland in extreme poverty, but his voice is just so fun to listen to. It also really makes you appreciate what we have.

Again, these were two I really enjoyed on a long commute I did regularly (over a decade ago... eeek!).