Menu

Mom...why so much reading in history?? Help please

My daughter (14 in Aug.) does not care to read much at all. My plan was to have her do Sonlight Core 100... and she is not excited at all. It really looks great, but there really is so much reading! I also have Biblioplan 4 and am really considering just doing that. I don't know.. Then, I thought about weeding some of the readers out of Core 100..

I am feeling very obligated to complete each and every book in Core 100 because I have it.... :tongue_smilie::confused: I don't know why I do that to myself. I guess I am wondering if more is better?? Or is less more in this situation??

If we just do Biblioplan 4, then I will move on the MFW High School for all 4 years...

Yes, I am rambling.. help:001_smile:

Some children just do not naturally love to read. For some, it is not their learning style. My oldest loves to read, but does not learn well in a literature program. My plan was to use BF high school, but the reading was so not appealing to dd that we have chosen a spine.

Some children just do not naturally love to read. For some, it is not their learning style. My oldest loves to read, but does not learn well in a literature program. My plan was to use BF high school, but the reading was so not appealing to dd that we have chosen a spine.

My younger one is the same. What do you use for you non-reader?

My older one eats books up. I wanted to use Sonlight with my 7th grader, but it's torture. For her and me. She complains and it takes her forever and she just does not enjoy reading that much. She loves textbooks, so I will be using BJU and adding in selective readers for her, the ones I feel are not to be missed. But i'd love to see what you are doing Holly

I have 6 kiddo's and really the daughter I was explaining above is the only one who hates to read! AND..hates history. Actually, after talking to them this morning, they told me they like it when "I" read the same history to both of them and discuss it. They feel like they get much more out of it. hmm.... We did MFW Rome to the Ref. a few years ago and they remember SO much from that year. I remember feeling like it was a "light" year, but it was one of our best learning years EVER. So, yes, less is more in some cases.

I think I may just do MFW year 5, add in some sonlight readers and call it a day.:lol:

Now, this daughter that hates to read can play guitar, write songs, and sing like crazy. She has a few gigs at several coffee shops coming up too.... It must just be about learning style:) SIGH..

Of course I cannot keep enough books around for my oldest son and middle daughter! LOL figures:glare:

I have 6 kiddo's and really the daughter I was explaining above is the only one who hates to read! AND..hates history. Actually, after talking to them this morning, they told me they like it when "I" read the same history to both of them and discuss it. They feel like they get much more out of it. hmm.... We did MFW Rome to the Ref. a few years ago and they remember SO much from that year. I remember feeling like it was a "light" year, but it was one of our best learning years EVER. So, yes, less is more in some cases.

I think I may just do MFW year 5, add in some sonlight readers and call it a day.:lol:

Now, this daughter that hates to read can play guitar, write songs, and sing like crazy. She has a few gigs at several coffee shops coming up too.... It must just be about learning style:) SIGH..

Of course I cannot keep enough books around for my oldest son and middle daughter! LOL figures:glare:

Audio books may suit her. Do you know about librivox?

We did MFW Rome to the Ref. a few years ago and they remember SO much from that year. I remember feeling like it was a "light" year, but it was one of our best learning years EVER. So, yes, less is more in some cases.

Go with your gut. It sounds like you have a peace with this plan. I've found with my boys (two of which are non-readers thus far) that less is definitely more in their case. I think the book list from MFW relieves some of the pressure the that Sonlight schedule can give. Our eldest ds is like your ds and middle dd and would read all day if he could!

I am considering MFW Year 5 again for our 13yo and 10yo, but just using SOTW and Exploring American History. I have to remind myself that it's enough! And that they will likely retain more. When I read on and on, they check out. It's just a fact around here and I have to make the best of when I have their attention.

Blessings for a great year! Let us know what you decide! :)

Edited by angela&4boys

Thanks for the responses! It is nice to know I am not alone!

Angela.. check out biblioplan year 4. I may go that route??? They include SOTW, Kingfisher and the History of US books. They also have an "in depth" reading using Streams of Civilization for the older guys. The booklist sounds wonderful too...

I will let you know what I decide. I must decide soon or I may go nuts:lol:

My kids aren't up to this level yet, but I used to teach history to middle and high schoolers. I feel like it's about getting to the analysis level. Yes, you want them to read and it's an important component, but you can approach other sources with in depth thinking. There's movies and even video games or board games. I used to play Diplomacy with students when we did World War I, for example. If your dd is so into music, what about getting her to listen to the music of the time period? That can tie into so much - political songs, popular songs, cultural origins, cross-cultural influences, greater artistic movements, etc.

Just wanted to throw something out there...I had 2 reluctant readers and after some deliberation, I discovered the problem wasn't the books but that those 2 just read really slowly, so it took them forever to do those portions of their schoolwork and they hated taking forever. I made them take a speed reading program this year and by the end of the year, they were reading for pleasure -- extraordinary for those 2. Anyways, that may not be your case at all, just thought I'd throw it at you for something to ponder.

Just wanted to throw something out there...I had 2 reluctant readers and after some deliberation, I discovered the problem wasn't the books but that those 2 just read really slowly, so it took them forever to do those portions of their schoolwork and they hated taking forever. I made them take a speed reading program this year and by the end of the year, they were reading for pleasure -- extraordinary for those 2. Anyways, that may not be your case at all, just thought I'd throw it at you for something to ponder.

What speed reading program did you use? I've been considering this, but I'm scared I'll choose something that is just horrid.:D

I wouldn't make her read them all. I have done Sonlight for years and realize it's a great fit for my daughter(voracious reader) and not so great for my son(likes reading technical manuals and computer parts catalogs). I pick certain books for my son to read and my daughter reads them all. I wish I had realized this a few years ago. Good luck, Shannon

What speed reading program did you use? I've been considering this, but I'm scared I'll choose something that is just horrid.:D
Lolly, LOVE your siggy...too funny :lol:

I'm interested in which speed reading program you used as well.

Ruth in NC

We used Ace Reader by StepWare, Inc. I was able to find it used and saved a bit, too :) Worth every penny either way. I'm so relieved that I don't have to stress about reading speed anymore!

My 7 year old son isn't much of a reader at all. He enjoys reading, some pieces of literature, but when he's forced to read -- it's a major chore. When providing him with educational reading, I always incorporate a fun activity into the mix. Charles loves to draw, so I always have him draw out what we learned in some shape or form. I gets him to focus on the literature (for the drawing) and it gets him to read. Of course, what may work for him may not work for you. Good luck!