Menu

Well we survived state testing

Quiver0f10

This will be our 3rd year (just for our oldest child). I always told him the standardized test won't tell me anything I don't already know. Last year, I was pleasantly surprised -- he did very well in areas I thought he was struggling in.

May you be pleasantly surprised, too! (It's such a good feeling!):hurray:

for the first time and everyone of my kids said it was way easier than they thought it would be. Now I hope their scores match those feelings LOL. It does feel good to get it over with.

Just being nosy, but did your state recently change its requirements? Wondering how you got by for so long without having to do it!

Anyway, congratulations, breathe a deep sigh of relief!

:)

Melissa

Just being nosy, but did your state recently change its requirements? Wondering how you got by for so long without having to do it!

Anyway, congratulations, breathe a deep sigh of relief!

:)

Melissa

We just moved to Arkansas last April. In Maine and NH, our previous states, we could chose either testing or portfolios and we chose portfolios.

Ours is tomorrow. I'm administering the tests for one grade. We're hoping to be out of there by 11:30 am.

Have you been an administrator before? I was curious if they were teachers or just HS moms? I had to stay all day because the younger kids had morning test and the 7th -9th had pm test. It was a good chance to socialize while the kids tested though :D

homeschool parents can administer IOWA tests to their kids if you have a bachelor's degree. (I had to send a copy of my diploma to BJUP to get approved by them as a tester.)

As a homeschool parent, I cannot administer Stanford tests to my kids unless I simultaneously test the prescribed number of other children of similar grade levels to mine.

Hope this helps. I know testing can be an overwhelming bundle of nerves for parents & kids both! Congratulations on everyone coming through sane and in their right mind! :)

We tested today too. I'm in the same state. This year was different than last year. Last year we tested for three days. They were tested for Reading, Lang Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies and probably some others I'm forgetting. This year it was just Reading, Lang Arts and Math.

It is great to be finished.

Great Jean! Ds8 goes next Wednesday for his through the Virtual School. Since he is still just a second grader he only has to do 2 hours of testing for one day. Next year, 3rd grade, it really jumps up ....4 or 5 days worth of testing. But that is through the VA...regular hsl'ing is much easier.

homeschool parents can administer IOWA tests to their kids if you have a bachelor's degree. (I had to send a copy of my diploma to BJUP to get approved by them as a tester.)

As a homeschool parent, I cannot administer Stanford tests to my kids unless I simultaneously test the prescribed number of other children of similar grade levels to mine.

Hope this helps. I know testing can be an overwhelming bundle of nerves for parents & kids both! Congratulations on everyone coming through sane and in their right mind! :)

I was thinking of this option for next year and I am pretty sure the used the Iowa too, but I was told today that we can't test our own kids? I need to find out from the homeschool allience what is true for our state. I'd love to be able to test ourselves!

We tested today too. I'm in the same state. This year was different than last year. Last year we tested for three days. They were tested for Reading, Lang Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies and probably some others I'm forgetting. This year it was just Reading, Lang Arts and Math.

It is great to be finished.

I am so glad we only had to test reading comp and math! I wouldn't have liked 3 days of testing :glare:

Maybe there is something in your state about not testing your kids, but it is not a requirement with the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. In know that the Stanford test has greater restrictions on testing your own kids. You have to test a certain number of kids not in your family at the same levels in order to test your own kids.

Correct. It is the Arkansas law that prohibits us from testing our own children.