Menu

K12 Human Odyssey questions

Susan in TX

I just received my copy of The Human Odyssey Vol. 1 and I really like the looks of it. I will be using this with my two 7th graders this year and I'm wondering if I should get the teacher's manual and student pages? Does anyone have these? I'm also wondering how I should schedule it. Does anyone have plans they'd like to share?

Thanks

Susan in TX

I used vol. 1 last year with my DD in 7th grade. We did not have the TE or Student Pages. Instead I had DD outline and summarize her reading. this worked well for the first semester, but by the second semester she tired of the process, so I dreamed up a project for her to do. The project made her appreciate the simplicity of outlining and summarizing.

Now we are moving onto vol. 2. I did buy the TE and Student Pages for vol.2 and received by mistake the TE for vol. 1. I wish I'd had these to use last year. The TE and Student Pages, although keyed to K12's online program, are still very usable without the online component. The TE and Student Pages are cheap to find on ebay or for sale by third party vendors at Amazon.

The TE provides a schedule for a 36 week school year. If anything, having the TE and Student Pages on hand will help you guide your student through the text. I like this text. It reads well and my DD and I enjoy the maps and color plates.

If you're anything like me, :001_huh: get the teacher's edition and student pages. :lol: As the other poster said, you can find them pretty cheaply at Amazon. I'm going to be reading through the K12 Human Odyssey Teacher and student pages over the next week, make some notes about how to plan it out etc. I like how the discussion questions are there, the mapwork is there, and the writing prompts are there. I had initially intended to use it w/ History Odyssey level 2 but now I'm thinking I won't need to.....just add in WTM components to the Human Odyssey teacher and student pages.

Capt_Uhura

I only ordered the book and the teacher's edition (vol 1) used through Amazon. They are currently somewhere between IL and TN and here..........

<drumming fingers on the table>

I am very interested to read what others will do/have done! I hope that I will be able to add to the conversation once I get started :)

We use the Teacher's Guide and the Student Pages as part of the full K12 course. They really cement the material into the student's mind. I wouldn't dream of trying to use the course without these great teaching helps.

Rebecca, do you do all of the assignments? We did it for a while online and I learned to cut back on some of the more redundant paperwork. For example, we didn't do the Reading Guides if we were doing comprehension questions. There is a lot of output there and I am afraid I might have ruined a good text by having my son do much, some of which, imo, was overkill. Just curious in how it's going on your end.

There are a few assignments I'll skip, such as "Look on such-and-such museum website for more examples of (famous artist)'s work."

Some of the assignments, for example the online review games, were written for K12 users and can't be accessed by students who are not logged in to a K12 account.

But she does most of the assignments, including the writing assignments. She wrote a beautiful diary entry a couple of weeks ago from the point of view of a textile-worker child during the Industrial Revolution.

I'm trying to decide right now what to do about 20th century history. I love this course so much that I'd like to keep on with K12; however, the Modern World Studies course can only be done with online teacher oversight. It's very expensive. I can put something together myself for free (I already have the textbook), but I think outside teacher oversight is good for her, and of course the K12 assignments are probably excellent.

This is probably more info than you wanted to know, but there it is.

I'm trying to decide right now what to do about 20th century history. I love this course so much that I'd like to keep on with K12; however, the Modern World Studies course can only be done with online teacher oversight.

I wish K12 would create a version of the 20th century course for independent purchase. It would be great to be able to finish the sequence without having to enroll in the iCademy.

Yes, so do I. I do have a copy of the Scope and Sequence of HST203: Modern World Studies (Comprehensive) that I printed off the K12 website. It lists a little under 150 lessons with titles and hints of what is covered in each lesson. I'm considering making up my own lesson plans that parallel K12's lessons. They might not be quite as good as K12's, but I could add in our own DVDs and other material and tailor the lessons to my own child's interests and abilities.

Or I might chicken out and sign her up for HST203 online through K12.

I'd love to know if the students have worksheet assignments for this course. How else would they show their work, except for the writing assignments?

Sorry for the digression, OP, but if you stay with K12's history classes for a couple of years you'll be pondering through this eventually, LOL.