Menu

I would love to see some 11th grade schedules

Do you mean what are we doing next year? I haven't finalized yet, but my dd's preliminary schedule is below.

History - Sonlight 300 (20th century)

English - Sonlight along with:

How to Read Lit Like a Professor

Windows on the World (IEW)

Strunk and White

Grammar review book/SAT review book

Wordsmart/Vocab cartoons

Literature - 20th century (some from Sonlight, some sci-fi/fantasy)

Math - Chalkdust geometry (she did Algebra 2 this year)

Science - Chemistry

Spanish 2 - outside class

Theology - 20th century (Kolbe) along with some philosophy

Art - outside class

American Sign Language - Comm. College

PE

Veronica

Well this is VERY tenative, as it is in the works for next year

History and English: Modern World with Omnibus; supplementing with teaching company and William Bennetts America The Last Best Hope and maybe biographies or books by Paul Johnson,making timelines,making maps

Math: Calculus by Forester

Science; Apologia-it depends if he finishes Physics ,what he will be working on next year

Latin- Lingua Latina and Henle 2 (or maybe just Henle 2)

Logic-Either finishing Traditional Logic 2 or starting Classical Rhetoric with Aristotle by Cothran

English- Participating in debate and speech events, possibly some IEW(I can't remember the name of the course but it prepares students for the SAT essay),Omnibus writing assignments,poem and important documents memorization

Bible; participating and preparing for Apologetics for speech club

Cedarmom

I have an 11th grader this year.

All of her classes are outside the home.

At a homeschooling resource center:

AP Latin (Catallus/Cicero) using Wheelock's and more

AP Comparative Politics and Government

at the local community college, she's currently taking:

World Literature

Rocks and Minerals

Earlier this year at the community college, she took two quarters of composition, two quarters of Geology, College Algebra, and Trig.

Regards,

Kareni

Math - Functions/Trig at the local PS

English - Sonlight British lit or LL Honors English correspondence

History - AP US History through PA homeschoolers

Because those three courses will be a heavy workload the rest will be lighter:

Logic

Bible

IEW writing

SAT prep

Ds already has three science with lab credits so we get to take a year off from that. If he wants to have 4 science credits then he wants to do Apologia's Advanced Biology his senior year.

Tentative:

Gileskirk Americana

Omnibus III

Foerster's Precalculus w/trig

AP English Language and Composition

German I/II

AP Latin Vergil

Greek I

AP Biology

AP US Government

Fine Arts: Shakespeare performance tbd

Yes, ridiculously busy but less than she's doing this year

HTH

He does:

Great books/history a la TWTM/TWEM (well - our version of it)

NEM3

Conceptual Physics

Sight singing (not a full course, just the occasional 10 minutes here and there)

Piano

Latin (Ecce Romani 2)

Peace Studies

Gymnastics team (daily practices)

And at CC his did/is doing:

Drawing 1

Speech 1

Basic Computing (how to use your computer)

Composition 1

He's currently struggling through the Pimsleur's French 1 tapes before he goes to France for 3 weeks.

And this summer, he'll do a light version of US history.

It is a lot, but we aren't doing any of it very rigorously except the gymnastics, and some of it we are doing slowly because of traveling, like taking 3 years to get through 2 Latin books. That's how we fit it all in.

-Nan

Check out the FIA videos on the Annenberg Foundation's Site:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html

This will give you the flavor of the course. (I think that you will need to register at the site to view the programs.)

For each lesson, one views the video, then listens to tapes/CDs which have material from the storyline on them. The listener repeats a word, a phrase, eventually sentences.

There is also a workbook which goes with he tapes/CDs. Some lessons are auditory, others written.

Last year I hired a tutor to give some additional conversational opportunities. When I initially researched the program, a comment that I heard was that students who used it did not sound obviously American when traveling in France.

Is your 11th grader doing a study program in France or is he walking?

Jane

ds 11th grade 2008-2009

Dual Enrollment Composition

SL 300 everything except composition and Apologetics

Understanding Rhetoric with Aristotle

Apologia Advanced Biology at tutorial

Spanish 1 at tutorial

? and Kumon Math

TC Economics with Walch's Understanding Our Economy

However, I reserve the right to change any and all of this at any time between now and Aug.

Mandy

Guest Katia

Current plan-in-the-works:

Math: 1st semester finish Algebra 2 with Life of Fred, Teaching Textbooks Trig/PreCalc and practice problems from each chapter of Lial's Intermediate Algebra

2nd Semester: Trigonometry - Life of Fred

Both semesters: Life of Fred Geometry (this is a supplement to keep skills current; she is finishing up TT Geometry this year)

English: 1st semester: Shakespeare Comedies Lightning Literature and Composition / 1st half of Vocabulary for the College Bound Student / Elements of Style

2nd semester: Shakespeare Tragedies Lightning Literature and Composition / 2nd half of Vocabulary for the College Bound Student / A Guide to Critical Writing, Grammar and Style

Science: Apologia Marine Biology

History: Exploring America by Notgrass

Japanese 3: Genki level 1, Pimsleur level 2, Mangaland book 2, and other resources

Computer Literacy: Alpha Omega Power Point

Evolution - Evolution the Grand Experiment , Icons of Evolution and haven't found a secular book yet but will

Music - Piano lessons/recitals/auditions , community college choir , Music Theory

Drama/Theatrical Production - co-op

Speech - co-op

Which should be ok. It is the getting to the group from the airport and then getting back again part that has me pushing the Pimsleur. Because of his CC classes and our vacation schedule, he only can join them for 3 weeks this year, and has to get to them and back again without interrupting the walk. He did it in Japan, so presumably he can do it in a European country. At least, that is what I keep telling myself. Besides, traveling is more fun if you can say a few things. He knows lots of words just from listening to his brother and me, but not enough to really talk to someone.

He has decided it would be handy to know how to speak it (nothing to do with walking this year), so I'm trying to find something to help him along next year, something that doesn't rely on me having enough energy to just use it with him. I've been trying to do that and failing miserably. Maybe in the fall it will be easier, or this summer. I have to be reading and watching movies in French myself to make myself speak it during the day, and I just haven't done that. I thought about signing him up for the French at CC, but the scheduling isn't looking promising. It sounds like French in Action might have a learning style that would suit him. Getting him to learn a language any way but by osmosis is very difficult, sigh. Maybe something movie based would be osmosis-y enough to work.

Thank you!

-Nan

The plan looks like this:

Tapestry of Grace year 1 (history, literature, geography, worldview)

Apologia Physics

ChalkDust Algebra II (geometry last year)

Spanish II

Economics/Health

IEW

Gov't

Latin Road to Eng Grammar II

Argumentation from Teaching Co.

These last three things need to be finished up. Not sure what we will replace them with. I'd love to enroll ds in a dual enrollment class this year. We'll see.

1st Semester

English: One Home2Teach course (1st quarter), CCCT & CC, Stewart English, & Literature of choice from Lifetime Reading Plan & my must read list

History: Scientific thought & discovery throughout history

Foreign Language: advanced Hebrew via private intruction

PSEO Courses @ LC:

Astronomy

Calculus II

2nd Semester

English: One Home2Teach course (3rd quarter), CCCT & CC, Stewart English, & Literature of choice from Lifetime Reading Plan & my own list

History: Scientific thought & discovery throughout history

Hebrew Via private instruction

PSEO Courses @ LC

Physics I

Statistics--someone on the old WTM recommended that Taz take a statistics course

Summer Session @ LC

American History

American Literature

Physical Education throughout year: assistant Squirts hockey coach & golf

AP Chemistry

AP English Lang & Composition

AP AB Calculus

AP Statistics

Great Books, ala, WTM.

World History, 1650 - 1850 We use Spielvogel for this.

Reading books to correlate with this time period. Since he will also have the AP English Lang & Composition I will not be requiring very much, if any writing on these books. He'll read at least 12 of the books from TWTM book list for this time period.

Spanish 2 using Rosetta Stone

Industrial Arts --- he'll finish building his wooden kayak

PE --- swimming along with almost daily work-outs at the Y. He is also on an in-line speed skating team.

For fun he'll also have a 10-week x-country trip this summer, and Science Olympiad next winter.