Menu

MCT Users....are you also doing Latin?

Capt_Uhura

I'm wondering if those using CE1/2 are also doing Latin or is it too much? If you are, what are you using and for what age kid? I have a rising 5th grader. We did Spanish last year with PowerGlide and he really enjoyed it but I'm thinking since I don't speak Spanish fluently, and didn't get any video programs where they can listen and respond etc I might follow SWB's advice and go for Latin instead? I know there are so many Latin threads, my head is just swimming right now. My DS loves language and is very language intuitive.

Thanks,

Capt_Uhura

No. My boys have dyslexia, English Language Arts taps them out at the moment. The Greek and Latin stem exposure in MCT is plenty for us right now. I'm hoping ~ 7th to add in a foreign language of their choice.

This is our situation as well (DS is dyslexic). DH, who is also dyslexic and was forced to study Latin for many years, says he considers Latin torture for dyslexics, so we are doing a very gentle Spanish program instead (Elementary Spanish on Discovery Streaming). DS will need a foreign language in college anyway, so I figured if I started in 6th grade, maybe he could pass the 4th semester Spanish class that the university requires by the time he's a college freshman. DD is not dyslexic, but she wants to learn Spanish and Mandarin, so I'm fine with that.

The reasons I've read for studying Latin include: familiarity with English vocabulary roots (provided by MCT & other roots vocab programs), being able to read Virgil et al in the orginal language (never gonna happen here, my kids have zero interest in this), and to improve logic (which I would rather study separately anyway). So I think even if my DS wasn't dyslexic, I would probably have chosen 2 modern languages for him (Spanish & Mandarin) instead of Latin anyway. I think in the long run they will be more useful (just my $.02, for my family, not a judgement on anyone else's choices, etc.).

Jackie

I've had no plans to study Latin past roots for English vocab... the kids are learning two modern language fairly intensively. But now one dd says she wants to. I bought her Latin Prep. Only time will tell if she actually does anything with it! :tongue_smilie: