Menu

What about some fun-but-not-trashy summer reading?

My son, bless him, has been reading Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. Along with that upbeat little gem, he also brought home Omnivore's Dilemma, Buylogy: Truth and Lies about Why We Buy, and Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health Wealth and Happiness. The checkout girl at the bookstore said, "Um. Are these for you?" He told me he just wants "to be knowledgeable." Okay, honey. Good work! Today he confessed that Confessions is "getting a little depressing." It's also in the low 50s here, dark and rainy, and has been for ages. So it seems like it's time for something a little more lighthearted.

So what are you reading for fun? Any suggestions?

PS: On another bookstore trip, he also picked up Fahrenheit 451 and Catch-22, so he has some fiction. ;) I haven't read the former and can't remember at thing about the latter. But I'm thinkin' they don't fall into the "lighthearted" category.

Well, I don't ban a little junk in my diet (grin) but I also reread The Elegance of the Hedgehog and it's a brilliant fiction that MFS recommended last year on her blog, and since I always read what she tells me to, I immediately picked it up and devoured. It was worth the reread while I had the house to myself while the family was in Haiti serving on the mission field. I've convinced four other women to read it this summer, so I might as well start on you lot. GRIN.

Super-light fiction? I enjoy the Donna Anderson mysteries that have birds in the titles...things like Owl's Well That Ends Well and No Nest for the Wicket. And the Archie McNally mysteries...McNally's Folly, etc. I wish Archie was my neighbor! :)

Medium-deep nonfiction? I just read Lewis Carroll in Numberland and it was a delightful biography, with lots of good math.

DEEP nonfiction? Wanna think? I read Justification by N. T. Wright over Lent (and beyond) and have successfully widened the chasm between me and my understanding of the book of Romans. LOL. Seriously, it's beautiful and unfathomable, the Father's love for us.

Pure, unadulterated junk? I just read SIX (yep, six!) books in a series by Katie McAlister that are romantic science/fantasy fiction. Dragons, magic, general rowdiness. No edifying characteristics at all. Just good fun.

But of course, after gorging myself on some junk, I always go back to something healthy. My next book is Exemplary Practices for Secondary Math Teachers and a reread of Liping Ma's book.

Have a fun reading summer!

LoriM

The Secret History by Donna Tartt Classics students run amok. Awesome.

http://books.google.com/books?id=x3tyKCRXESYC&dq=the+secret+history&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=uF4dTNWeDYH88AaZ-oyjDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith-russian thriller/psychological interest I loved it

http://books.google.com/books?id=gbN9PgAACAAJ&dq=child+44&hl=en&ei=D18dTJy7HMKC8gbW0PGPDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA

Zombie War Z by Max Brooks zombies whats not to like?

http://books.google.com/books?id=X4Z-6_UjUK8C&pg=PA343&dq=zombie+bymax+brooks&hl=en&ei=VV8dTNyIIYP68AaNmeHCDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

The Hot Zone by R Preston-science. virology, absolutely riveting reading one of my favorites. Ebola and Marburg virus. Seriously a great read and dare I say fun for fans of post apocalyptic literature this is awesome. http://www.richardpreston.net/books/hz.html

So I hope I have helped with lighter fare...:lol:Zombies, Stalin era psychological thriller, deadly viruses and classics majors taking themselves too seriously and killing in the name of research. My work is done. You have a serious young man embrace the angst and for god's sake keep him from Nietzsche for a few years that is too much even for me. I think he would enjoy any of these books and there is language but no" bdonk a donk. "

Edited by elizabeth
link

My best friend's best friend (is that my best-friend-in-law?) is Donna Tartt! Seriously, PV and Donna were best friends in high school in Grenada, MS, and then PV and I were best friends (are!) in college and beyond. I always feel like an author, once removed, whenever someone recommends Donna's book! LOL!

You guys are the best!

I must be brief because I have to give up the computer to my youngest; I promised him some time with his flight simulator program before bed. Now that child knows how to have fun. I did catch him reading his brother's copy of The Economist the other day, but I don't think he's going to be bogging down with Confessions of an Economic Hit Man any time soon.

Oh, yeah. I have a water bottle that was used by Max Brooks when he spoke in my concert hall. My boys went to that show and loved it. Of course they'd love his books! What was I thinking?

Thanks again.

NON FICTION - HISTORICAL / BIOGRAPHICAL

- biography or historical event by Albert Marrin

- Escape From Colditz by P.R. Reid

- The Forgotten 500 by Gregory Freeman

- The Turk: Life & Times of the Famous Eighteenth-Century Chess-Playing Machine by Tom Standage

- Mechanical Turk: The True Story of the Chess Playing Machine That Fooled the World by Tom Standage

NON-FICTION - PHILSOPHICAL / PROBLEM SOLVING

- Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter

- The Mind's Eye: Fantasties and Reflections on Self and Soul by Douglas Hofstadter

- The Message in a Bottle: How Queer Man Is, How Queer Language Is, and What One Has To Do With the Other by Percy Walker

- Lost in the Cosmos by Percy Walker

- Sophie's World by (this is actually fiction, but covers various worldviews/philosophies throughout -- very interesting!)

NON-FICTION - HUMOROUS

- All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

- My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

- A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle

- A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

- A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson

- Life With Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

FICTION - ADVENTURE / THRILLER

- Up Periscope by Robb White

- The Guns of Navarone by Alistair Maclean

- The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

- Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

- Midshipman Quinn series by Showell Styles

- Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester

- Master and Commander by Patrick Brian

- The Great and Terrible Quest by Margaret Lovett

- The Once and Future King by T.H. White

FICTION - MYSTERY / DETECTIVE

- Father Brown short story mysteries by G.K. Chesteron

- Hercule Poirot short story mysteries by Agatha Christie

- Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

- The Cat Who... series by Lillian Jackson Braun

- Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters

- Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy Sayers

- The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith

- Sherlock Holmes short story mysteries by Sir Conan Doyle

- The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman (retired lady turns spy)

- Picture Miss Seeton; Miss Seeton Draws the Line; Witch Miss Seeton; Miss Seeton Sings; Odds on Miss Seeton by Heron Carvic -- retired drawing teacher unknowingly solves mysteries with chaos surrounding her; very funny and well-written (other authors continued this series, but I do NOT recommend any of those books!)

FICTION - HUMOROUS or LIGHT

- Camelot by Jane Yolen (short stories all spinning off of King Arthur)

- The Rumpelstilskin Problem by Vivian Vand Velde (6 very clever and humorous retellings of the fairytale)

- The Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers; Diggers; Wings by Terry Pratchett

- The Princess Bride by William Goldman

- The Silent Gondoliers by William Goldman

- Uncle Boris in the Yukon and Other Shaggy Dog Stories by Daniel Pinkwater

- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams

- The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul by Douglas Adams

- Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams

- Cosmicomics by Italio Calvino

- Flatland by Edwin Abbott

- Star Trek: The Classic Episodes by James Blish (very nice short story novelizations of the original series episodes)

- The Rumpelstiltskin Problem by Vivian Velde (very short, quick and funny; 6 short stories looking at the traditional fairytale from VERY different points of view!)

- The Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth Grahame

- Farmer Giles of Ham by J.R.R. Tolkien -- VERY fun and witty short story

SCI-FI

- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller

- Foundation by Isaac Asimov

- I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

- Dune by Frank Herbert

- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

- House of Stairs by William Sleator

- R is for Rocket by Ray Bradbury

- The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

- Eye of the Heron by Ursula LeGuin

- Lathe of Heaven by Ursula LeGuin

- The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin

- space trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet; Perelandra; That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis

- The Time Machine by H.G.Wells

- War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

- The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells

FANTASY

- the Earthsea trilogy: Wizard of Earthsea; Tombs of Atuan; The Farthest Shore by Ursula LeGuin

- the Auralia's thread "quadrilogy": Auralia's Colors; Cyndere's Midnight; Raven's Ladder; The Aleboy's Feast by Jeffrey Overstreet

- Watership Down by Richard Adams

- The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

- The Blue Sword; The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley

- Camelot by Jane Yolen (variety of very different short stories loosely based on King Arthur and/or Merlin)

- Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien -- sort of like a cross between Beowulf and a tragic Greek epic

Edited by Lori D.
added info; correction

Lori! Excellent list! We have read some of the books in many of those category, so it's wonderful to have more of what we love. I finally realized, after years on this board, that there is a print view feature for threads. So I will print off this list for the next library trip.

Try to get Alessandro Baricco's Novecento, it's a very short book in the form of a monologue, light, but brilliant. I'm not into the rest of his works, but this one I always recommend as a good light reading.

Thank you for this. I remember reading his Ocean Sea when it came out about ten years ago. I'd heard a review of it on the radio, and was captivated. I loved and hated the book, beautiful and awful. But what a marvelous writer! I will be sure to check this out.

NON FICTION - HISTORICAL / BIOGRAPHICAL

- Master and Commander by Patrick Briens

Just a note - the author's name is Patrick O'Brian.

If you read this and like it, be prepared to be utterly sucked in for 20 more books in the series :lol:

If you read this and like it, be prepared to be utterly sucked in for 20 more books in the series :lol:

Yup. My boys read all the Horatio Hornblower books and several of the Master and Commander books as well. We pretty much have the British Napoleonic-Era Naval Adventure genre down. ;)

I picked up Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Tiger from the library yesterday. We listed to the first two CDs. I'm concerned it might get a littl R-rated, and the very accurate depiction of the lives of women during this time period is distressing to me, but, so far we're mostly enjoying it. I don't think it's as good as the Hornblower or Master and Commander books, so I am curious about the Midshipman Quinn series by Showell Styles.

I picked up Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Tiger from the library yesterday. We listed to the first two CDs. I'm concerned it might get a littl R-rated, and the very accurate depiction of the lives of women during this time period is distressing to me, but, so far we're mostly enjoying it. I don't think it's as good as the Hornblower or Master and Commander books, so I am curious about the Midshipman Quinn series by Showell Styles.

Cornwell's earlier books (chronologically from the date he wrote them) in the Sharpe series are the better ones, in my opinion. They become formulaic after a while. That said, he does a great job in writing about the grittier aspects of a soldier's life, from the blood of the battlefield to skirmishes more social in nature.

Sean Bean did a nice job playing Sharpe in programs that aired on Masterpiece Theater.

But I will stress that some parents would not be comfortable having their high school students read Cornwell's books.

Duly noted and corrected. Thank you! :)

Nicole:

Also forgot to add to the list:

VERY humorous satire of the British airheaded upperclass of the 1920s kept afloat by the serious and intelligent valets. (Perhaps you've seen the BBC production of the Wooster and Jeeves series? :))

Also added several other books to the big list above.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

Well, mine, who gobbled down the Hornblower series, liked Midshipman Quinn. They also Lindsey Davis's Falco mysteries as summer reading. We bring stacks of those to get them through the melty, cross, I'm-too-tired-to-move-out-of-this-hammock-to-go-swimming-even-though-I'm-sweltering stage. After about two weeks of that, they recover and I find them hanging out of tall trees and potato canons and trying to drown their brother dragging him behind the motor boat, but there are always about two abnormally peaceful weeks when even my non-readers read lots, first. Has he read Captain Blood? You could also try the modern sea stories. Roommate like Knox-Johnston. My husband and father just enjoyed The Crossing of Antarctica (not exactly a sea story). I love The Walkabouts. They all like that swordfishing book where they froze the uncle when he died that has a title something like The Unfriendly Ocean. Greenlaw? Not great literature, or even good literature, but definately summer fun. If he will read mysteries, the Michael Innes ones are fun.

-Nan

Duly noted and corrected. Thank you! :)

Nicole:

Also forgot to add to the list:

VERY humorous satire of the British airheaded upperclass of the 1920s kept afloat by the serious and intelligent valets. (Perhaps you've seen the BBC production of the Wooster and Jeeves series? :))

Also added several other books to the big list above.

Love Jeeves! We've listened to many on tape, and the boys frequently quote the books at random moments in the day. Thanks again for the list above.

I wasn't crazy about Sharpe, and I had such high hopes.

Nicole, how old were your boys when they read the Master and Commander books?

As soon as my oldest finished off Hornblower he started in with the M & C books. I'm guessing fifteen or sixteen? He hasn't made it through all of them. Not sure if his interest waned or what. I remember that he did find the first one difficult, just in terms of readability, more complicated vocabulary than he was used to, but got into the swing of things after a few chapters.

Edited by Nicole M

Cornwell's earlier books (chronologically from the date he wrote them) in the Sharpe series are the better ones, in my opinion. They become formulaic after a while. That said, he does a great job in writing about the grittier aspects of a soldier's life, from the blood of the battlefield to skirmishes more social in nature.

Sean Bean did a nice job playing Sharpe in programs that aired on Masterpiece Theater.

But I will stress that some parents would not be comfortable having their high school students read Cornwell's books.

I did hear about Sean Bean's readings, but can't seem to find them anywhere except on cassette tape. Hmm. We might still have a cassette player in the attic. I'm not sure where the Tiger book comes in the series, but so far so good. I can tell already, though, that the boys aren't completely hooked, and neither am I.

For others interested historical sea voyage books, we listened to Andrea Barrett's Voyage of the Narwhal last summer, and it was really quite good.

Well, mine, who gobbled down the Hornblower series, liked Midshipman Quinn. They also Lindsey Davis's Falco mysteries as summer reading. We bring stacks of those to get them through the melty, cross, I'm-too-tired-to-move-out-of-this-hammock-to-go-swimming-even-though-I'm-sweltering stage. After about two weeks of that, they recover and I find them hanging out of tall trees and potato canons and trying to drown their brother dragging him behind the motor boat, but there are always about two abnormally peaceful weeks when even my non-readers read lots, first. Has he read Captain Blood? You could also try the modern sea stories. Roommate like Knox-Johnston. My husband and father just enjoyed The Crossing of Antarctica (not exactly a sea story). I love The Walkabouts. They all like that swordfishing book where they froze the uncle when he died that has a title something like The Unfriendly Ocean. Greenlaw? Not great literature, or even good literature, but definately summer fun. If he will read mysteries, the Michael Innes ones are fun.

-Nan

Ah, Nan! If only it would warm up here! Temperatures are still in the 50s, if we're lucky, upper 60s. It's been a miserable June! What I would not give for time in a hammock, too hot. And I love your description, "...where they froze the uncle when he died," and will see if I can track that down. That would appeal to my youngest. ;) I haven't heard of any of the books you listed, so thank you!

I did hear about Sean Bean's readings, but can't seem to find them anywhere except on cassette tape. Hmm.

Actually, Sean Bean plays Sharpe in dramatizations made by the BBC. Perhaps your library has them on video (given their age). I did not know that he had also made recordings of the books.

The Tiger book is set before the Napoleonic War books but was written after the Napoleonic series. Cornwell had exhausted the Sharpe franchise, or so it seemed, until he had the idea of going back in time and creating a storyline set in India.

Well, you could make the mistake I made. DD was casually browsing bookshelves and asked about a few of my favorites. I wasn't really paying attention and got to chuckling about Bellow's Henderson the Rain King. I didn't expect her to pick it up. Panic. "Maybe you'll want to read that in college." No such luck. She's delighted with it and reads me her favorite lines. I feel like a rather irresponsible parent.

Well, you could make the mistake I made. DD was casually browsing bookshelves and asked about a few of my favorites. I wasn't really paying attention and got to chuckling about Bellow's Henderson the Rain King. I didn't expect her to pick it up. Panic. "Maybe you'll want to read that in college." No such luck. She's delighted with it and reads me her favorite lines. I feel like a rather irresponsible parent.

Well, now I have to go look that up.... :D

ETA: Okay, I just read the first pages and it's delightful. And come on! Irresponsible parent? It's a "Penguin Classic!" How bad can it be? Wait. Is it naughty? ;)

Edited by Nicole M

Henderson the Rain King. You will never trust my judgment again.:D Henderson is a very wayward soul who blows up frogs among other things. Your youngest and my youngest are prime candidates for reading Saul Bellow in a few years. Need I say more?:tongue_smilie:

In a few years. So. That means, right now, keep it far, far from them or else suffer the consequences? :D

...PS: On another bookstore trip, he also picked up Fahrenheit 451 and Catch-22, so he has some fiction. ;) I haven't read the former and can't remember at thing about the latter. But I'm thinkin' they don't fall into the "lighthearted" category.

I would not say that Fahrenheit 451 is lighthearted in anyway, but don't dismiss it. It was a real eye-opener and I truly enjoyed it.

I am not really into lighthearted reading so I am not sure if I can give you much help. I read Jane Eyre for "lighthearted" reading :D

I am not sure how you are with Science Fiction, but I really enjoyed the series by Darren Shan, The saga of Darren Shan. It was about a boy who was unwillingly turned into a vampire to save his best friend after Darren stole a spider from a vampire and it bit his friend.

I thought it would be dumb, but I truly enjoyed it.

How about Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter?

ETA: I saw your post saying he was 18. He may like the Darren Shan books, but not too sure now...

Edited by BeatleMania

In a few years. So. That means, right now, keep it far, far from them or else suffer the consequences? :D

I thought we were already suffering the consequences? What about travel books for your elder young man? Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods?

You madame, need to read some travel books as well: An Embarrassment of Mangoes

and The Grand Tour: Tales of a Continental Drifter.

I would not say that Fahrenheit 451 is lighthearted in anyway, but don't dismiss it. It was a real eye-opener and I truly enjoyed it.

I am not really into lighthearted reading so I am not sure if I can give you much help. I read Jane Eyre for "lighthearted" reading :D

I am not sure how you are with Science Fiction, but I really enjoyed the series by Darren Shan, The saga of Darren Shan. It was about a boy who was unwillingly turned into a vampire to save his best friend after Darren stole a spider from a vampire and it bit his friend.

I thought it would be dumb, but I truly enjoyed it.

How about Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter?

ETA: I saw your post saying he was 18. He may like the Darren Shan books, but not too sure now...

No, you're right, and I wouldn't put Fahrenheit 451 in the "lighthearted" category either! I just thought it was funny that he felt vindicated about his choices when he was trying to reassure me he did pick out some fiction, too.

I forced the men to listen to Pride and Prejudice recently, so they do get exposure to our kind of "lighthearted." They enjoy mocking me with high-pitched shrieking: "Oh Mister Bennett! Mister Bennett!"

Potter and Lord of the Rings: check. Already read it. I will see whether the Darren Shan books appeal to the men, but they have a slight aversion to vampires because of Twilight and their crazy grandmother's love thereof.

Thanks so much for weighing in! All ideas welcome.

I thought we were already suffering the consequences? What about travel books for your elder young man? Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods?

You madame, need to read some travel books as well: An Embarrassment of Mangoes

and The Grand Tour: Tales of a Continental Drifter.

Oh, you're right about suffering. ;)

You know, we actually own Bryson's Walk in the Woods. It's somewhere around here. We loved listening to him read his memoir, the wonder boy or whatever book that was. I did order a used audio copy Bryson's Shakespeare biography, hoping that it would turn around the youngest birding son's bad attitude about Shakespeare. (I think I mentioned he feels a great deal of hostility toward William, because of the unfortunate doings of the Shakespeare Society, which was responsible for bringing those pesky starlings to North America, so that we here could experience every bird mentioned in the Bard's works.) I'll look into those other traveling books, too.

Well then it must be that week in June when my sister always takes her vacation. If the swordfishing one appeals to someone, that someone might also like Lone Voyager (Garland?) which is about a man who got stranded in a fishing dory in winter and when he felt his hands going numb, dipped his mittens in the sea and froze them to the oars so he could keep rowing. I have not read either of these two books, although I have had bits read to me. If Captain Blood works, you could try Coral Island and King Solomon's Mine. And of course there is always the classic Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World. There is Haliburton for non-fiction, for the younger set. PG Wodehouse's Jeeves stories are a blast, as is Three Men In A Boat. Mine have all loved In the Shadow of a Rainbow, which is about a man who goes and lives with wolves to study them. They've all loved The Dark Lord of Dirkholm, which I think it great fun, too. Light, mind you, but fun. Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy gets reread. Just trying to think of other things that all three of my boys have read happily.

I hope your weather clears up soon. How depressing. At that rate, you will need one of those sun lamps they use for seasonal deficit people. Not sure I got that name right. And don't ask me what happened to my verbs in my previous post. Obviously I am ready for some hammock time as well.

Sending you sunny thoughts.

Nan

Nicole,

Has your eldest read The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose? It is a thought provoking read that he might enjoy, but it is also fairly light hearted and not all doom and gloom.

Regards,

Kareni

Well then it must be that week in June when my sister always takes her vacation. If the swordfishing one appeals to someone, that someone might also like Lone Voyager (Garland?) which is about a man who got stranded in a fishing dory in winter and when he felt his hands going numb, dipped his mittens in the sea and froze them to the oars so he could keep rowing. I have not read either of these two books, although I have had bits read to me. If Captain Blood works, you could try Coral Island and King Solomon's Mine. And of course there is always the classic Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World. There is Haliburton for non-fiction, for the younger set. PG Wodehouse's Jeeves stories are a blast, as is Three Men In A Boat. Mine have all loved In the Shadow of a Rainbow, which is about a man who goes and lives with wolves to study them. They've all loved The Dark Lord of Dirkholm, which I think it great fun, too. Light, mind you, but fun. Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy gets reread. Just trying to think of other things that all three of my boys have read happily.

Nan

These all look like great reads. Thanks for asking the question, Nicole.

I have a travel book for you to read this summer - Our Hearts Were Young And Gay. I laugh and laugh every time I read it.

-Nan

Oh! This one is too fun. Nicole, the Princess read this and loved it. I'll bring it to you.

These all look like great reads. Thanks for asking the question, Nicole.

Oh! This one is too fun. Nicole, the Princess read this and loved it. I'll bring it to you.

I can't do the multiple quote thingy like Lisa can, so I'll just say, Yup! These look fantastic. Kareni, I think the Unlikely Disciple looks perfect for us. As you know, I work several sound and lights for several religious youth camps throughout the summer, and we've had many discussions about more fundamentalist religious groups based on what I overhear at work. This should give the boys a better understanding of what I report to them.

And Lisa, you'll bring it to me? That means we get to party with the Swimmer Family!? :party:

I hope your weather clears up soon. How depressing. At that rate, you will need one of those sun lamps they use for seasonal deficit people. Not sure I got that name right. And don't ask me what happened to my verbs in my previous post. Obviously I am ready for some hammock time as well.

Sending you sunny thoughts.

Nan

Nan, we were just discussing our summer reading lists, and how wonderful it would be to spend the day outside in the hammock reading. It seems that the hammock stand is broken, but the boys think they know how to MacGyver a fix for it. After a long discussion of the state of the hammock, I mentioned that it's not even 60 degrees out, and my youngest said, "Hot chocolate! We can bundle up! Blankets!" On the one hand, I appreciate his chin-up attitude. On the other... can you hear the quaver in my voice... this is not how summer is supposed to be!

Not that I'm a whiner or anything. :tongue_smilie:

Our hammocks are in Maine. We often have to take a sleeping bag into the hammock with us to keep off the mosquitoes and to stay warm. This is not a tropical paradise. Sleeping bags work best if one member of the family stays outside to adjust, hand things in, to bring the coco, take away the empty cup, and to fetch and carry. Guess who that person usually is : ). It takes matches to make the coco. Somehow, though, all I remember is the hot days when white light pours down on everything and you can't swim without making rainbows with every drop. Sigh. I am so ready to be done with the school year but somehow I have to get through this week and get ourselves packed. I am about to go pull out the hammocks and see if the mice have gotten to them (they got to the sails!!!!) and if I need to make another for my quickly lengthening 15yo. I hope the MacGuyver fix works. I think my Dad has fixed pipes by putting a piece of broom stick inside or lashing one alongside. Funny how one associates hammocks with heat. I've got it - you must be having a cold summer because your hammock is broken. The weather thinks that you don't need it to be hot since you don't have a functioning hammock. Once you fix it, summer will proceed as scheduled. It is worth a try anyway LOL.

-Nan

Funny how one associates hammocks with heat. I've got it - you must be having a cold summer because your hammock is broken. The weather thinks that you don't need it to be hot since you don't have a functioning hammock. Once you fix it, summer will proceed as scheduled. It is worth a try anyway LOL.

-Nan

I love the Nan Philosophy of Life!

Wishing I could ship some of the Carolina heat to Nicole,

Jane

Henderson the Rain King. You will never trust my judgment again.:D Henderson is a very wayward soul who blows up frogs among other things. Your youngest and my youngest are prime candidates for reading Saul Bellow in a few years. Need I say more?:tongue_smilie:

Just ordered this for Elvis. Sure to make him smile :-)

Faithe (Who handed him This Perfect Day by Ira Levin and hence wins the "Worst Mom of the Year" award and feels after that one he can read pretty much anything he wants. <SHUDDER!> )

I'm just getting around to reading this thread as I've finally got a little bit of time...

Anyway, if you want a nice, fun, lighthearted, quick read, check out Whatever You Do, Don't Run, by Peter Allison. He's an Aussie safari guide who relates some of his stories in Africa - mainly Botswana. Our whole family loved that one and the Wilderness Lit teacher at our high school is seriously considering adding a story or two from it to her class.

For an interesting look at post cold war Russia, Open Lands, Travels Through Russia's Once Forbidden Lands, by Mark Taplin was eye-opening. It's not lighthearted and fun like the Botswana book, but nonetheless, not a hard read and it did open my eyes quite a bit to areas of Russia I knew next to nothing about.

I'm a travel book lover, but since you've read Bryson, my guess is you've read Jenkins as well. Bryson is better IMO. A couple of Jenkins' books weren't even on my "like" list, but his Alaska book (Looking for Alaska?) I really enjoyed.

No, you're right, and I wouldn't put Fahrenheit 451 in the "lighthearted" category either! I just thought it was funny that he felt vindicated about his choices when he was trying to reassure me he did pick out some fiction, too.

I forced the men to listen to Pride and Prejudice recently, so they do get exposure to our kind of "lighthearted." They enjoy mocking me with high-pitched shrieking: "Oh Mister Bennett! Mister Bennett!"

Potter and Lord of the Rings: check. Already read it. I will see whether the Darren Shan books appeal to the men, but they have a slight aversion to vampires because of Twilight and their crazy grandmother's love thereof.

Thanks so much for weighing in! All ideas welcome.

Haha, I understand. Thankfully, I found the books before I heard of Twilight, because I know I would have avoided them had I saw them after Twilight. :D