Menu

Do you do science and history everyday with a 2nd grader?

susancollins

If so how much time do you spend each day. I am doing SOTW and Apologia young explorer series. If it makes a difference I am combining them for my K and 2nd grader doing SOTW 1. Thanks Susan

I am doing sotw and apologia as well! I have a daughter who just completed 2nd grade. Yes we do both everyday and have since 1st grade. I figure out how much we have to do per lesson in apologia a day to really go through the material in a week, then we do the same the next week but we add in the notebooking (she does the fun and fascinating facts week 1) That way she gets double exposure and it really helps with her retention. We do 1 section of sotw a day. (not a whole chapter, just a subtitle a day) then a bit from the current read aloud before bed. Sometimes she colors the coloring page as she listens sometimes she does it after. We do the mapwork also. It really does not take much more than 20 (ish) minutes per subject. The second week when we go over the current lesson does take longer for science though because we add in more activites. It works great for us!!!!!

For 2nd grade this past year we did history 2x a week and Science once. With extra reading on each subject throughout the week.

We did SOTW2 this year, and it takes us anywhere from 1 hr to 1.5 hrs a session at a time (that is including memory work, reading/coloring, narration, mapwork and an activity.)

Science was about the same, depending on the topic.

We do science Mon and Wed, and history on Tues, Thurs, Fri. - even with older dc. We tend to feel more rushed and not retain as well when we do both subjects on the same day - but that is just how it works in our family.

Blessings as you find what works for you.

Laura

If so how much time do you spend each day. I am doing SOTW and Apologia young explorer series. If it makes a difference I am combining them for my K and 2nd grader doing SOTW 1. Thanks Susan

I do history 3 times a week for the first 1/2 of the year and then science 3 times a week for the second 1/2 of the year.

I'm trying to pin this down too!

I plan on rotating days with some overlap on Fridays for projects, timeline and mapping work. I can't imagine doing both every day. History and Science tend to spawn "rabbit trails" that are so fun... if we did both everyday we'd be "in school" until 6 pm every night! Still, I'm having trouble fitting everything in that I want to do, so we'll see.