Menu

Kids and ID cards

Does your middle grade child (or otherwise semi-independent kid) carry an ID card? If so, where did you get it and what information is on it?

Dd is volunteering at the library a few days a week and tonight is her first time. I stuck around a while then left. When I got home, it occurred to me that she has absolutely no identification on her whatsoever. And now I'm feeling like a super irresponsible parent :blushing:. I know the library has the info filed away from her volunteer form, but what if she goes outside or something terrible happens? So, I'm thinking I should make up some sort of card, or order one from somewhere.

Aside from her name, our names, address, all phone numbers, what other kind of info should I put on it?

I got a state ID card somewhere between the ages of 16 and 17. In TX, the state ID card looks almost exactly like a driver's license. It has the name and home address of the person, DOB, etc. I think in TX DLs can have emergency numbers put on the back, and the same option is probably available for IDs. For younger children, school IDs are often accepted as valid.

I volunteered at the library as a 12yo during the day and I had a lot of adult supervision.

You could perhaps make up some kind of emergency contact card, with parents' names and numbers, home address, any super important allergies, and laminate it and have dd carry it with her in a pocket or a wallet? Those are probably good to have anyway. A normal state ID or DL doesn't quite serve that purpose.

I googled our state and I can't find where they offer IDs to children. I think I may just call the dmv because I can't imagine why they wouldn't offer them. And since the info on state issued IDs are limited...

I printed an ID from here. I used the Badge Maker. Ours was specifically a school ID so that info was there. I need to make one for personal ID, thanks for the reminder.

We plan on getting ds a state ID once we move this year.

Something like this seems awesome! Thanks for the link!

I wonder if I should put insurance info on it, too? I don't want to put too much info on in case she loses it...

Does your middle grade child (or otherwise semi-independent kid) carry an ID card? If so, where did you get it and what information is on it?

My twins have two IDs (well three for Ds). They both have a YMCA ID and Illinois state ID. Ds has a college ID as well. Both will have a military dependant ID once I find time to get them to the nearest facility.

My youngest two kids (age 9 and 11) only have YMCA ID and a Child ID from public school.

We recently got a state issued ID for dd through the Department of Driver Services because she took a trip to DC with the youth choir, and was told she needed a picture ID. She also has a medical ID because she has Type 1 Diabetes. With that and her medical dog tag, she is well identified:tongue_smilie:.