Menu

Dr. Hive: Cheekbone pain?

I began thinking that I was going to have a toothache b/c my bottom gum on the left side felt sore (which I almost never have - maybe one other time in my life).....my left cheekbone is hurting and now I am feeling that 'water up your nose' pain going from the cheekbone to the left side of my nose.

I am thinking sinus congestion or beginning of sinus infection.......opinions? And my left temple hurts.

I took tylenol sinus yesterday and it knocked me out for about two hours - it was great - the pain was gone. when the tylenol wore off, the pain was back.

Hmmmmmmmm?

Sinuses. Mucinex for the nasal congestion. Sinus rinse (I like NeilMed) for the congestion and possible infection too. That's my inexpert diagnosis and prescription. $20 co-pay please!:D

Well, that's a small price to pay someone who has 10,000 POSTS!!!!!! Do you take paypal?;)

:svengo:Thank you! Mucinex is my typical go-to for sinus issues, BUT because I was initially thinking toothache, I wasn't thinking of my sinus protocol. Thank you again -- I am going to take it right now.:leaving:

Other option could be clenching/grinding your teeth.

Which I do ALL the time -- I did wonder if I had finally ground my teeth to the point where now whole mouth reconstruction is necessary.....but not feasible due to the cost. I thought about getting a mouth guard.

We are thinking along the same lines.

I would take Mucinex D or the plain Mucinex and a decongestant (you don't need the dextromethorphan so don't use the Mucinex with that in it-it can make you cough if you don't need it). Mucinex D is the one with pseudoephedrine and guaifenesin(you may have to get it behind the pharmacy counter-depending on your state laws). The pseudofed will break up the congestion, the guaifenesin will draw fluid into your sinuses to thin down the mucus and let it drain without drying you out. Drink a lot of water to help the Mucinex work.

I personally would avoid antihistamines if you can during this time.

Add some pain reliever if you would like too.

A warm shower/bath can help to relieve some pressure. A good hard cry from a sappy movie can work wonders if you like a more 'natural approach' lol.