Menu

How do I give myself a classical education?

Where to begin? I completed Getting Started With Latin and now I'm beginning Wheelock's. Where can I find a list of classics that I need to read? And in what order? (Seriously, I don't even know if the Iliad or the Odyssey comes first!) What else do I need to give myself a classical education?

Thanks.

I encourage you to consider a few things in your quest. . .

What is your definition of a "classical" education?

What are your specific goals? (Why do you want a classical education?) What do you hope to gain from it? Do you hope to become well-read? more intellectual? cultured? personally satisfied?

These are things to consider and I think the answers can help you select the books that will meet with your personal desires and goals.

Personally, I LOVE to learn! As an adult, I thirst for knowledge (and the education I wish I'd had growing up!) and I continually strive to nurture my desire to grow as an individual and keep my wits sharp, so that I can engage in life with logic and the ability to think, reason, probe, and converse judiciously!

I have my 2010 booklist on my blog and I'm working ahead in the reading selections for Starting Points, which I will be using with my dd in the fall. Together, these satisfy me for now ;)

I've tackled a few of the classics I've always been curious about and it certainly gives you a sense of accomplishment! I think I can. . .I think I can. . . I think I can!

My advice would be to make a written goal and get started with any classic book on your mental list of "I've always wanted to read. . ."

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/

• 9 months later...
Guest ZoeyKennith

I am new here and I appreciate this post, especially Tina's suggested questions. That will be a great tool for me to help me begin thinking through why I want this kind of intellectual life and how to get started.

For me, this is the most important point:

You must give yourself permission to take your time and to do what you can when you can. A classical education is one of the greatest gifts you can receive, so don't feel cheated for what you don't have, feel thankful for everything you get. For me, none of it is deserved.

This might be the second most important:

It's not about checking off lists and noting what you've read. It's about gaining wisdom and discipline.

I'd rather see a person read one book five times closely and interactively than five books quickly. It's about going deep. That's why SWB's post on journaling is so right.

Try to do one exercise in Henle's or Wheelock's Latin every day or every other day.

Try to review math drills and concepts for a few minutes every day or every couple days.

Get Harvey's Grammar and learn English grammar - a few minutes every few days. There's no hurry. Learn one thing and use it. Then learn the next. etc.

Get Martin Cothran's traditional Logic, when you are ready for it.

If it's not out of line to say so, get The Lost Tools of Writing. In a few years, look into the CiRCE apprenticeship.

Read great books slowly. Yes, the Iliad, the Odyssey, Aeneid, Greek plays, Shakespeare, Fairy tales, fables, mythology, biographies, history, etc.

But not all at once and not so you can be done with them. The books are the bottles, the ideas they embody are the wine. Drink the wine!

Do what you can, when you can. But your children are your first priority.

It's an ocean and if you take your time it's an ocean of endless pleasure. If you hurry, you'll lose the pleasure and want out.

You can get out and sit in the boat whenever you want. But you have to swim yourself. If you like one spot, stay there and keep swimming. Don't hurry.

You don't have to drink the whole ocean. Just swim where you are.

Did I say, don't hurry?

Do it reflectively and attentively. Seek wisdom and intellectual discipline. Whatever it takes to get them, that's classical education.

One last thing. Take your time. There's no hurry. It's a feast. Don't dribble.;) Enjoy the meal.

Magnum Opus et arduum, sed Deus noster adiutor est. St. Augustine

For me, this is the most important point:

You must give yourself permission to take your time and to do what you can when you can. A classical education is one of the greatest gifts you can receive, so don't feel cheated for what you don't have, feel thankful for everything you get. For me, none of it is deserved.

This might be the second most important:

It's not about checking off lists and noting what you've read. It's about gaining wisdom and discipline.

You don't have to drink the whole ocean. Just swim where you are.

Did I say, don't hurry?

Do it reflectively and attentively. Seek wisdom and intellectual discipline. Whatever it takes to get them, that's classical education.

One last thing. Take your time. There's no hurry. It's a feast. Don't dribble.;) Enjoy the meal.

Magnum Opus et arduum, sed Deus noster adiutor est. St. Augustine

Wow, I really needed to read this!! Thanks!