Menu

Timeline products or links?

Kay in Cal

I think everyone is planning timeline stuff this month!

Here is a great page with all sorts of timeline resource info.

And I blogged about our favorite ones here too...

Or you could just head over to Geography Matters and see the stuff they have... but that might be too easy. :) I always like to look at everything.

I fell in love with Geography Matters' timeline poster when I saw it at convention this weekend. It is on my shopping list.

I would check out Home School in the Woods timeline materials. We are starting our second cycle and will be starting timeline books using their products. I've been planning on using their timeline figures for our second cycle for several years now. But I ended up also getting their CD with timeline pages. You can print the pages horizontally or vertically. You can buy their binder or just provide your own. You can print out as many pages as you have kids. The CD also includes a suggested placement guide if you need help figuring out how to fit everyone on a page. This is not the cheapest way to do a timeline, but we did it the cheap way our first time through. This time I want their finished product to be a reference that my kids can use in high school and college.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/RecordofTime.htm

Although not using their curriculum as written, I am considering using the Winter Priomise timeline notebook. I like that it is a three ring binder so you can add pages (drawings, maps, coloring pages, etc...) to go with it. I don't know if there are other like that?

http://www.winterpromise.net/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=650

I also want to do some type of wall timeline, I think that would be the best to really "see" things.

I would love any suggestions or pictures of wall timelines.

Our city library has a subscription to an history database called "ABC-CLIO" that you can access online from home. I have used it to create my own timeline cards. It has worked really well because the images they use are accomanied by a brief discription and both usually fit on a 3x5 index card quite nicely (with a little resizing of the pic). Here's a discription of "ABC-CLIO" from the website:

In each of eight award-winning online databases, students, faculty, and librarians will find a comprehensive learning and research solution for history and social studies curriculum. Our databases combine the most authoritative and relevant primary and secondary sources with our breakthrough new
Analyze
section. We support this curriculum-targeted content with robust collections of topical classroom resources and lessons. Add in Release 2.0's innovative new enhancements and you have a new era in historical inquiry for libraries and classrooms.

You might contact your local libraries and see if any offer access. BTW, I had jsut about decided to purchase a timeline set (probably Homeschool in the Woods) but when I found this, I decided against it. Free sounded much better! :)

Here's a link to the "ABC-CLIO" website and it shows that they have a free 60-day trial:

http://www.socialstudies.abc-clio.com/Login/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fMultiHome%2fDefault.aspx

• 3 weeks later...
I would check out Home School in the Woods timeline materials. We are starting our second cycle and will be starting timeline books using their products. I've been planning on using their timeline figures for our second cycle for several years now. But I ended up also getting their CD with timeline pages. You can print the pages horizontally or vertically. You can buy their binder or just provide your own. You can print out as many pages as you have kids. The CD also includes a suggested placement guide if you need help figuring out how to fit everyone on a page. This is not the cheapest way to do a timeline, but we did it the cheap way our first time through. This time I want their finished product to be a reference that my kids can use in high school and college.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/RecordofTime.htm

:iagree: The lady who started this company lives a few miles away from me. I had been using her timelines for a while when I discovered this! :) Love her stuff!

I just picked up our binder. I will be making our timeline using the Easy Timeline Creator software and will also be purchasing the History Through the Ages Collection of Historical Timeline Figures CD for our timeline figures :).

• 1 month later...

Oh my, love love love it!!! The pictures don't do justice to how well put together the product is, and it is easy even for the craft-impaired. I love the printed binder for storage... and we've already hung up the century we are studying on the wall. This is our fourth year of history, but we've never done a timeline before and I was excited about how easy it is to start in the middle.

All the extras are fantastic. I wasn't sure if I'd use the flip-ups that double-up the lines... but of course, I had a bunch of explorers for 1608, and used them right away. Because of the great design, I could even add one as an afterthought without undoing our work (I did say I was craft-impaired). Well worth the investment, IMHO.

http://www.addacentury.com/