Menu

I'm finding it hard to get dinner ready now. We don't microwave (although I'm considering it). My husband is never here or ready to eat around 6 which is the best time for the rest of us to eat.

I need more freezer food. The thing is we eat vegetarian most of the time. None of us can do a lot of cheese. Premade frozen veg items are either expensive, don't make enough, or have way too much dairy in them.

I'm going to try and start freezing extras of what I make. I'm making pizza tonight. Can I just bake it half-way, let cool, wrap and freeze.

Any suggestions? I'll make some with pepperoni and cheese, some veggie with cheese, and some vegan.

I'm finding it hard to get dinner ready now. We don't microwave (although I'm considering it). My husband is never here or ready to eat around 6 which is the best time for the rest of us to eat.

I need more freezer food. The thing is we eat vegetarian most of the time. None of us can do a lot of cheese. Premade frozen veg items are either expensive, don't make enough, or have way too much dairy in them.

I'm going to try and start freezing extras of what I make. I'm making pizza tonight. Can I just bake it half-way, let cool, wrap and freeze.

Any suggestions? I'll make some with pepperoni and cheese, some veggie with cheese, and some vegan.

That should work. Depending on how long you leave it in the freezer, you may need to invest in a food saver. I got one for my food, I have a ton of allergies. I make sheep cheese pizza and always make extra to freeze. It stays good for months in the food saver bags and reheats nicely if you defrost it a bit first.

You can usually find them used if you look for a while. The bags are also cheaper on e-bay than in the stores.

I make gluten-free pizza for dd sometimes and there is always some leftover. I cut it into slices, put them in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer. They reheat well. I usually use the microwave because it's quick, but it would probably be better warmed in the oven. HTH.

I just freeze it uncooked. I let it thaw before baking to get a decent rise on the crust, but I have even gone straight from freezer to oven when I forgot to take it out ahead of time. It just makes the crust a bit denser and chewier.

I just freeze it uncooked. I let it thaw before baking to get a decent rise on the crust, but I have even gone straight from freezer to oven when I forgot to take it out ahead of time. It just makes the crust a bit denser and chewier.

Do you put all the toppings on?

I'm going to give that a try tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I'm not too worried about freezer burn. I just wanted to do enough for the next week or so.

What do you freeze it on? Or in? Assuming the crust is homemade, do you freeze it on a cookie sheet, then wrap it? I'm considering buying big cardboard cake rounds so my crust doesn't crack or sag - then I'd be like my own little pizza factory, lol.

I make individual size pizzas with cheese, veggies, sauce, cooked meat (ham, pepperoni, etc) on them in dollar store aluminum pie pans. I reuse the pans too, usually I get several uses out of them unless ds gets hold of them and pokes a hole trying to get his pizza out. :glare:

What do you freeze it on? Or in? Assuming the crust is homemade, do you freeze it on a cookie sheet, then wrap it? I'm considering buying big cardboard cake rounds so my crust doesn't crack or sag - then I'd be like my own little pizza factory, lol.

I never thought of this! Dh makes the crust better than I do, so I might just get him to make a bunch of large crusts and freeze them. They would take up less freezer space that way.

My approach is to freeze ingredients separately. This still takes a little assembly time, but I always have pizza sauce in the freezer in 1 cup straight sided Kerr jars with a plastic screw on lid. They thaw fast if you just put the jar in a bowl or pot of warm water. Then when I make pizza dough I try to freeze extra, just as a ball of dough. You do have to remember to get it out of the freezer to thaw, but if you put it in the fridge the night before, it's really not a lot of work to make a fresh pizza. I have partially cooked the dough before freezing--cook about 3 minutes I think. I make them smaller so that I can fit them in a gallon size freezer bag if I do it that way.

Do you freeze the crust in a ball or after you roll it out? I tried this a month ago when I accidentally tripled the wrong recipe and ended up with way too much pizza. I tried cooking it for about 4 minutes and then froze it untopped, topped it then stuck it in the oven still frozen and it cooked up great. But it was really bulky to freeze and I would rather freeze it in a ball. Just not sure if that would work well.

I make up my batch of pizza dough in my Bosch and make a x4 recipe. We use one pizza crust on the same night I make it and then I divide out the rest of it in three equal pieces. I place each of those in a quart size freezer bag and label them. When we are wanting pizza, I just take a bag out of the freezer and add the toppings. Its an easy, quick meal. The recipe I use makes a large jelly roll size pan, so it is enough for a complete meal and sometimes with leftovers.