Menu

Singapore Math

nknapp5

When the Standards Edition came out there was some knee-jerk barking about "anything having to do with California is bad, so I won't get it", but the hysteria has calmed and the SE covers a bit more. I was worried the graphics would objectionable or cartooned up, but it is not. I'm stuck doing the US edition for A for the next two years because I bought ahead to work through Elementary Mathematics for Teachers, but I'm getting the SE for 3B, etc.

One explanation can be found here.

I've been pleased with the Standards edition. We used Primary Math for 1A and B and switched at 2A.

Standards contains more topics than US and changes the location of a few topics. The site I linked to also has a table that shows where topics appear in each book.

If you add in Intensive Practice (good challenges!), it's only available for the US edition. It's easy to match up the topics with the Standards text/wb.

If you add in Intensive Practice (good challenges!), it's only available for the US edition. It's easy to match up the topics with the Standards text/wb.

Does anyone know if they're planning on coming out with IP workbooks for the SE?

There have been a bunch of threads on this topic. See:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183554

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153803

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167731

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146899

I went with the U.S. ed. for 3A/B when I switched my DD from Right Start. I did this because it was cheaper and I don't give a whit about what some committee of bureaucrats in Sacramento think all kids in a given grade should study. However, I find the U.S. ed. HIG to be tricky to teach from at times & I've heard that the Stds. ed. HIG is much better. So I'm planning to try the Stds. ed. for 4A/B.

I went with the U.S. ed. for 3A/B when I switched my DD from Right Start. I did this because it was cheaper and I don't give a whit about what some committee of bureaucrats in Sacramento think all kids in a given grade should study.

Unlike what the Singapore government thinks....:D

Really, the difference it just a little more content. The tone and philosophy has not changed (i.e. the important part).

If I were a betting woman, I'd lay even money that the SE will become the US edition, after all, about the same, just a hair extra, and the price is more appealing to the seller. Is it reasonable to think someone will give up the whole program at, say, 5A because the price is now 15 rather than 8 dollars?

We started with the US edition before there was a Standards edition, but some of our texts a different edition that predates either of those. We've been happy with the US edition, but we also do 2 math programs as a matter of course. I haven't seen the Standards edition, so can't comment on that.

If I were a betting woman, I'd lay even money that the SE will become the US edition
This is likely, as Singaporemath.com has said they'll keep printing the US edition only as long as there are sufficient sales to warrant it. After the SE package is complete, with Extra Practice, IP, and CWP, there won't be much reason to choose the US edition. Though I am sorry that they did away with the last references to Singaporean names, foods, etc.

However, I find the U.S. ed. HIG to be tricky to teach from at times & I've heard that the Stds. ed. HIG is much better. So I'm planning to try the Stds. ed. for 4A/B.

I have no experience with the US edition but I can say that the HIG for the Standards edition is very user friendly. It's not scripted but it gives you a great roadmap to follow. Two thumbs up from me! :thumbup:

Looking only at 1A, the Standards Edition materials are actual less expensive (per page) than the US Edition books. They are slightly more expensive per book, but include more material.

The US Edition Textbook is 88 pages (in black and white) and costs $9 or roughly 10.2 cents per page. The SE textbook (in full color) is $11.20 for 120 pages, or 9.33 cents per page.

The US Workbook is 5.67 cents per page, while the SE Workbook is 5.4 cents per page.

The HIGs for the SE version ( the only ones I've seen) are said to be vastly improved from the US Edition.

As others have said the basic philosophy (and much of the actual program) is the same across the series. I just don't see any advantage to choosing the US Edition over the Standards Edition if one is starting out purchasing new materials.

One still needs to purchase US Edition IPs if using SE.

Bill

Looking only at 1A, the Standards Edition materials are actual less expensive (per page) than the US Edition books. They are slightly more expensive per book, but include more material.

The US Edition Textbook is 88 pages (in black and white) and costs $9 or roughly 10.2 cents per page. The SE textbook (in full color) is $11.20 for 120 pages, or 9.33 cents per page.

The US Workbook is 5.67 cents per page, while the SE Workbook is 5.4 cents per page.

The HIGs for the SE version ( the only ones I've seen) are said to be vastly improved from the US Edition.

As others have said the basic philosophy (and much of the actual program) is the same across the series. I just don't see any advantage to choosing the US Edition over the Standards Edition if one is starting out purchasing new materials.

One still needs to purchase US Edition IPs if using SE.

Bill

It depends on where you shop. I have bought the US versions for $8 per workbook & $7.50 for 6A & 6B. In fact, I just ordered our last set of these a few days ago for $7.50 each.

However, as I mentioned, I started SM before there was a SE, so I have nothing bad to say about SE, and it looks like if you're starting now, that's the way to go. Since I already owned the textbooks, I couldn't justify switching since the US editions have been fine for us.

It depends on where you shop. I have bought the US versions for $8 per workbook & $7.50 for 6A & 6B. In fact, I just ordered our last set of these a few days ago for $7.50 each.

However, as I mentioned, I started SM before there was a SE, so I have nothing bad to say about SE, and it looks like if you're starting now, that's the way to go. Since I already owned the textbooks, I couldn't justify switching since the US editions have been fine for us.

Right. Were I finishing the series (particularly if I owned the books) I'd almost certainly finish what I started. If I was just starting out I'd go (have gone) with the SE. I think it is quite likely the US Edition will go out-of-print, and that the SE will be the version that is maintained. That doesn't mean the US Edition is no good. Right?

Bill

Right. Were I finishing the series (particularly if I owned the books) I'd almost certainly finish what I started. If I was just starting out I'd go (have gone) with the SE. I think it is quite likely the US Edition will go out-of-print, and that the SE will be the version that is maintained. That doesn't mean the US Edition is no good. Right?

Bill

Exactly.

So, seeing your new sig line, may I call you Ishmael?

Exactly.

So, seeing your new sig line, may I call you Ishmael?

Please do.

BTW, my favorite element of Singapore Math at this point (although it may one day be displaced by the CWPs) are the Intensive Practice Books. That is where the real "challenge" comes. And, at least for now, they are only available in the US Edition.

So there you have it :D

Bill

Please do.

BTW, my favorite element of Singapore Math at this point (although it may one day be displaced by the CWPs) are the Intensive Practice Books. That is where the real "challenge" comes. And, at least for now, they are only available in the US Edition.

So there you have it :D

Bill

Thanks, Ishmael.

Karin, who didn't find anything too long or boring about Moby Dick when reading it as a teen.

Thanks, Ishmael.

Karin, who didn't find anything too long or boring about Moby Dick when reading it as a teen.

Nice way to talk about one on the greatest masterpieces in the English language. For someone that doesn't read medieval Spanish, Moby Dick is about as good as it gets.

My apologies for going off-topic :D

Bill

Please do.

:iagree:The IPs are my favorite because of the challenge and the variety. The CWP are also great. ;)

To the OP: we use the standards edition and the IPs, so I guess technically we are also using the US edition. I like both. The topics covered are slightly different.

Here is a link to the differences in editions: http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm

We started with the US edition before there was a Standards edition, but some of our texts a different edition that predates either of those. We've been happy with the US edition, but we also do 2 math programs as a matter of course. I haven't seen the Standards edition, so can't comment on that.

Same here, other to hear that the Standards Edition HIG's are better. I believe it simply because it is logical. Rewrite something several years after the first edition and you have had pleanty of feed back and time to find all the problem areas, of course it will be better.

I already own US edition and am happy with it. I actually do find I need the HIG much (but I am a math person), so I have no reason to switch.

Heather

Same here, other to hear that the Standards Edition HIG's are better. I believe it simply because it is logical. Rewrite something several years after the first edition and you have had pleanty of feed back and time to find all the problem areas, of course it will be better.

I already own US edition and am happy with it. I actually do find I need the HIG much (but I am a math person), so I have no reason to switch.

Heather

I do believe that the "average" Mom or Dad who is using Singapore math with their children would greatly benefit from having the HIGs. Not so they can do the problems in the books, but so they know what they should be teaching beyond what is in the texts, and they have activities and other ideas that round out the program.

Bill

I do believe that the "average" Mom or Dad who is using Singapore math with their children would greatly benefit from having the HIGs. Not so they can do the problems in the books, but so they know what they should be teaching beyond what is in the texts, and they have activities and other ideas that round out the program.

Bill

Agreed, in fact despite not needing them that much I still buy them. I find I naturally explain a lot of the stuff they have in the HIG's. Not that I am a genius, I just assume my kids aren't going to get it otherwise because they aren't mathy like me, so I am always going the extra mile to make sure they got it.

I would love to have the standards version, but just can't justify it. If I were just starting out though I would go that direction rather than the US version.

Heather

Agreed, in fact despite not needing them that much I still buy them. I find I naturally explain a lot of the stuff they have in the HIG's. Not that I am a genius, I just assume my kids aren't going to get it otherwise because they aren't mathy like me, so I am always going the extra mile to make sure they got it.

I would love to have the standards version, but just can't justify it. If I were just starting out though I would go that direction rather than the US version.

Heather

I know that you know this, and I know that you know that I know you know this, but the chit-chat is worthwhile because (we both know) there are people wondering about these very questions, and hopefully we've done the job :001_smile:

Bill

I know that you know this, and I know that you know that I know you know this, but the chit-chat is worthwhile because (we both know) there are people wondering about these very questions, and hopefully we've done the job :001_smile:

Bill

LOL! I did really think twice about posting because I knew you knew that, but did go ahead and post for the very reasons you stated. :D

Heather