Menu

Gas is around $10 a gallon in the UK!!

Guest Lorna

I just bought some dental floss in Denmark for seven English pounds (about fourteen dollars). The raspberry jam in our local shop is six pounds fifty (thirteen dollars).

We can't wait to get back to English prices here. Sometimes I am scared to go shopping here....:ohmy:

Do people actually drive there with gas that expensive? Is there enough public transportation to get you where you need to go? I imagine it would be easy to get around London without driving, but how do you travel to a different part of the country? yikes.

I just bought some dental floss in Denmark for seven English pounds (about fourteen dollars). The raspberry jam in our local shop is six pounds fifty (thirteen dollars).

We can't wait to get back to English prices here. Sometimes I am scared to go shopping here....:ohmy:

That's incredible, Lorna! I think I'd resort to flossing from a spool of thread.

Oooh. I just exposed my inner cheapskate, didn't I? :001_huh:

Yes, Christy, there is a lot of traffic! People do, on average, have much smaller cars, though. There is a car called a "smart car", and I'm pretty sure that my dad's golf cart is bigger! There's another car that only has three wheels, like a tricycle. Both cars can pull in head first when parking on the street instead of parallel parking! There are a lot more busses here in rural areas here, than in the states. I think that only 40% of the two parent families have two cars here, and we live about an hour from London. I'm not sure how they manage. There are very few stay at home moms. I think that it's just so expensive and child care is subsidized. I'm very aware of how fortunate I am to stay home with my babies.

--Dawn

I think that only 40% of the two parent families have two cars here, and we live about an hour from London. I'm not sure how they manage.

--Dawn

My brother lives in Surrey. He cycles to work (about nine miles each way). The children take the public bus to school and my SIL usually walks to work (about half an hour). They use the car when they need to (supermarket run, etc.) but it spends most days sitting outside their house.

Laura

The $10 includes the taxes. My husband is in the US military, so we can buy tax free gas on base, which is generally around $3.50 but is close to $4 right now.

We took a fieldtrip last week, and I thought that the half of the gallon would get us there and back, but of course we got lost (satnav stolen in Dec.) and had to get gas on the way home. I paid $20 for TWO gallons!! It was hard to give over the money! Most european countries pay similar prices to what we pay here in the UK.

--Dawn

Guest Lorna

A third of all commutes in Copenhagen are done by bicycle. It is incredibly expensive here to even own a car. However, the roads nearly always have a bicycle lane and you are so much in the majority of road users that it is very easy for even toddlers to cycle. Nearly all families have a Christiania bike which is a tricycle with a large box in front. I have seen them with four toddlers in but usually there is one of two children up to adults.

It is much quieter here than any English city even though we live right in the centre. Every time we go out watching the bicycles is like watching a carnival.

The one thing I don't mind here is the expense of car travel. It forces an infrastructure which is far safer for families and is wonderful for a sense of community.

The $10 includes the taxes. My husband is in the US military, so we can buy tax free gas on base, which is generally around $3.50 but is close to $4 right now.

We took a fieldtrip last week, and I thought that the half of the gallon would get us there and back, but of course we got lost (satnav stolen in Dec.) and had to get gas on the way home. I paid $20 for TWO gallons!! It was hard to give over the money! Most european countries pay similar prices to what we pay here in the UK.

--Dawn

That's amazing - that's about what it is here in the US - without the exchange rate!! I would have loved to have base gas when we lived there.