Menu

What is the goal of education?

Today, I was at my son's (he is in special education - not a lot of mainstreaming) 5th grade graduation/celebration. The principle was making a little speech about how they wanted these kiddos to get a good academic and social education so they could get a good job. I know this has become the goal of public education - to get a job.

So, the question I pose is - why are you giving your children an education? Is a job the most important thing for you (I'm guessing not)? I guess the reason I educate my kids is so that they have the skills to fulfill their God given destiny. And that destiny may be their job and very well may not be. I'm a stay at home homeschool mom without a "real job". Does that mean public education has failed me? I guess so...

Beth

Among other things, I want my kids educated to provide them...

Freedom to be the best that they can be.

The ability to make wise decisions.

The tools to make the world a better place.

The ability to look critically at the world, but tenderly towards its people.

I only hs one out of four, but I believe that ps can do the same...just differently. ;)

ETA: Don't shortchange your ps education. It is partly what made you who you are today. Who says we have to get paid to have a job?

Edited by lisabees

I do think an education should prepare people for jobs. Working remains the best way of providing financially for oneself and one's family, because money doesn't grow on trees and most people don't receive massive inheritances. To prepare someone for a job isn't a bad reason for educating them. It is a very good reason. It shouldn't be the only reason though. Politicians may disagree, but I expect most of us here believe a thinking population is to everyone's benefit.

So, yes, so my kids will be employable is right at the top of the list, but it shares top place with two other important things: that they will be interesting and not idiots. Someone might like to reprimand me for being judgmental or go all post modernist and say that idiocy is in the eye of the beholder. I agree with the second point, but as for the first, if anyone has managed to get this far through life without thinking anyone is an idiot, I'd love them to share how! (Either they live in Utopia or they are just plain nicer than me :lol:)

Rosie

Then I also want her to be able to be interdependent.

I want her to love God and to know to her core how much God loves her.

I want her to love others deeply and freely.

I want her to be able to function well in various environments--city, suburb, country, the wild.

I want her to be able to move from career to career without missing a beat, but also to be able to commit to something long term.

I want her to develop all of her talents and use them for the good of God, others, and herself.

I want her to take care of the earth.

I want her to be able to earn a comfortable, dependable living.

I want her to know enough and have enough to think about to always be able to keep herself engaged, even if she is doing something boring.

I want her to be appropriately self-confident.

Edited by Carol in Cal.