Menu

"Must-Visit" places driving between Dallas & Chicago?

We are thinking about doing a road trip (from Dallas, TX) to visit family in the Chicago area... where should we stop along the way? What fun things can we do to break up the trip? We would love to do a couple overnight stops (and maybe even delay a day somewhere to "play" and enjoy). Any suggestions?

You'll probably drive I-55 through Springfield, Illinois, along the way to Chicago, which is another 3 1/2 hours away. Kids really enjoy visiting the relatively new Abraham Lincoln museum in Springfield. It's very interactive -- almost like a mini Disney with holographic actors and ghosts, seats that vibrate when canons go off and a walk-through history of Lincoln. Then, visit the real thing that's just a few blocks away -- especially the only house that the Lincolns every own, which is still pretty much the way it was.

There's also New Salem, which is about 30 minutes north that has re-enactment homes, kind of like Plimouth Plantation, that's low key but interesting as well.

If you're into homeschooling, I'm assuming you might also be into educational type experiences, and the Abraham Lincoln sites are rather unique.

I would also suggest St. Louis, as others have. So many museums in St. Louis are free -- including the art museum and the Zoo, which is world class. There's also the Magic House, a kid-friendly science museum. Not free, but good. The Drury Hotel chain has lots of hotels in St. Louis at good rates and they include a nice breakfast, indoor pools, and happy hour with popcorn, snacks and soft drinks. The St. Louis Botanic Garden is fantastic! There's a great kids area, lots of tree house type things, that are wonderful and the cafeteria there is pleasant with good food. It may not sound that kid oriented, but we are always amazingly pleased when we visit.

And if you're driving through Missouri, you might check out Branson (lots of music, Silver Dollar City, etc.) and Laura Ingalls Wilder's farm that is an interesting museum, especially if you have read some of the books.

Have fun! Drive safely

Guest mrsjamiesouth

When I was 12 we went from San Antonio to New Orleans, to Pensacola (grandparents), then up through DC (Smithsonian and White House), stopped in Buffalo(an uncle and Niagra Falls), down to Cincinatti(relatives), and through St Louis to home. My parents had a pop-up camper and we loved it.

St Louis is on your way, the Golden Arches.

You should check your library for that book on 1000 Places to See, they have an US edition.

When I was 12 we went from San Antonio to New Orleans, to Pensacola (grandparents), then up through DC (Smithsonian and White House), stopped in Buffalo(an uncle and Niagra Falls), down to Cincinatti(relatives), and through St Louis to home. My parents had a pop-up camper and we loved it.

That sounds like an incredible trip! How long were you away?

St Louis is on your way, the Golden Arches.

You should check your library for that book on 1000 Places to See, they have an US edition.

Not to be nitpicky, but the St. Louis Arch is neither golden nor plural. One arch, sorta gray. The Golden Arches refers to McDonalds. :lol:

To the OP: Springfield is a hot-bed for Lincoln history. There's the Presidential Museum, which is amazing, and it's just down the street from a fabulous used book store, which is across the mall from the Old State Capital where Obama made his announcement to run for office. Lincoln's home is just blocks away from that; they've preserved about 4 blocks of the original neighborhood. Very nice to see and visit. There is also Oak Park Cemetery, the 2nd oldest cemetery in the US, which has Lincoln's tomb. There's also the regular state capital, which is only interesting (to me, anyway) because Legally Blonde 2 was filmed in it.

If you're a foodie and into nostalgia, there's Cozy Dog on Rt. 66 (aka 6th Street nowadays). There's Charlie Parker's Diner, which has been featured on Drive-Ins, Diners and Dives. You MUST have a Horseshoe, which is a Springfield specialty (and a dieter's nightmare) at D'Arcy's Pint.

If architecture is your thing, there's the Dana-Thomas house, built by Frank Lloyd Wright.

There's the Funeral Customs Museum, if that's your thing. It's an interesting place to visit.

If you're coming through here, I'd be glad to send you any info from the visitor's center. It's just a few blocks from my neighborhood. :)

To the OP: Springfield is a hot-bed for Lincoln history. There's the Presidential Museum, which is amazing, and it's just down the street from a fabulous used book store, which is across the mall from the Old State Capital where Obama made his announcement to run for office. Lincoln's home is just blocks away from that; they've preserved about 4 blocks of the original neighborhood. Very nice to see and visit. There is also Oak Park Cemetery, the 2nd oldest cemetery in the US, which has Lincoln's tomb. There's also the regular state capital, which is only interesting (to me, anyway) because Legally Blonde 2 was filmed in it.

If you're a foodie and into nostalgia, there's Cozy Dog on Rt. 66 (aka 6th Street nowadays). There's Charlie Parker's Diner, which has been featured on Drive-Ins, Diners and Dives. You MUST have a Horseshoe, which is a Springfield specialty (and a dieter's nightmare) at D'Arcy's Pint.

If architecture is your thing, there's the Dana-Thomas house, built by Frank Lloyd Wright.

There's the Funeral Customs Museum, if that's your thing. It's an interesting place to visit.

If you're coming through here, I'd be glad to send you any info from the visitor's center. It's just a few blocks from my neighborhood. :)

Adding Springfield to the plans! :D

If you are going to Tennessee, consider stopping in Nashville. We really love stopping there. The Frist Art Center has one of the best kids arts spaces in the country. There are hands-on activities that span the interest and ability of pre-schoolers to grandparents. We usually make a print, create a video and do some kind of artsy thing. The art is usually connected to the interesting exhibits. ((http://www.fristcenter.org)). We enjoy eating at the cafe there as it's clean and cool and not as busy as nearby honky-tonk restaurants.

The arts center is on Broadway, right off the interstate and very near the Country Music Hall of Fame. The hall of fame is interesting, even if you're not a country music fan. We have found this is a good place to get the headphone commentaries.

The science center in Nashville is geared toward kids. We like running around there and especially climbing up the tower and seeing out over Nashville. The city also has a water park that is very popular, but we haven't visited. If you like history, you might enjoy touring Andrew Jackson's Hermitage, which we found quite interesting. There's also the zoo, Cheekwood, funky bars. We usually stay in one of the Hampton Inn on the Vanderbilt side of town.

I think much of the touristy part of Nashville is open after the floods. However, the Grand Old Opry and the discounts stores in Opryland are not opening until the fall.

We also like the Kentucky area called Land Between the Lakes. Kentucky has wonderful state lodges that aren't too expensive and are in beautiful spots.

Two other thoughts for traveling: Get a AAA membership as it will save you on hotel rates and a few dollars on entrance to many places. Bring along any museum membership you have from hometown museums as many museums have exchanges with others and you can get in for free or reduced rates.

This is great! I'm thinking we will definitely go through St. Louis on the way up... maybe stop in Tennessee on the way back? Is there anything the kids would like in Tennessee?

Oh, then you might be headed down I-65 towards Nashville? If so, then Mammoth Caves in KY is a MUST-SEE!