Menu

Apologia now has....

jillian

I looked through this at a recent convention. It looks good, but lots more words and less pictures than the previous ones. I am thinking of saving it for when my dc get another year under there belt.

What do yall think?

Kristen

I looked through this at a recent convention. It looks good, but lots more words and less pictures than the previous ones. I am thinking of saving it for when my dc get another year under there belt.

What do yall think?

Kristen

it says recommended for grades 6-8. i don't know what grades your little one is in

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

For those of you with older kids, the author told me that it can be used for .5 credits of High School Health;)

Well, I got it to pick and choose what we could use for health (DD is in 2nd beginning in fall). There's definitely things that will go over her head but I loved the look of it and will be able to use this book later in our homeschooling years. So, we'll start with little bits here and there. Really like several of the chapters, and experiments. Besides all of that, it's a neat feeling textbook and the photos are great!

I was told by Mrs. Fullbright that there are lesson plans for a middle schooler to go along, found in the Notebook accompanyment.

You are right, Tina. I just got the notebook and text and it does have great lesson plans along with other activities. Overall, I am pleased with the set.

it says recommended for grades 6-8. i don't know what grades your little one is in

I've been asked to teach this to a 4th-6th grade coop class. I can't find any grade recommendations on the Apologia website. Are the age recs in the catalog?

Thanks!

You are right, Tina. I just got the notebook and text and it does have great lesson plans along with other activities. Overall, I am pleased with the set.

Hi Kari :) Always nice to "see" you :)

I'm so glad! I plan on using it second semester and was THRILLED not to have to add anything on my own. Lesson Planning can be a monster around my house! I can use all the help I can get!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
The age rec. for the series is k-6. I (re)checked this morning:

http://www.apologia.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

I'd call or email the author to be sure because that's just a generic age range for the series and I think the Anatomy book is intended for a more mature audience. Her website is http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/home.html

I'd call or email the author to be sure because that's just a generic age range for the series and I think the Anatomy book is intended for a more mature audience. Her website is http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/home.html

Sure, I'm not worried. I think the age range is broad because it can be used for those ages with the discretion of the parents. And to be used with families that have wide ranges of ages. It also addresses this range on her personal site with the series. I have the book and notebook and see quite a bit that my second grader will enjoy and understand. Some, of course, no, but the way the Christian worldview is implemented and discusses in this book is just beautiful, and I really appreciate it as a mom to young kids. :)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Sure, I'm not worried. I think the age range is broad because it can be used for those ages with the discretion of the parents. And to be used with families that have wide ranges of ages. It also addresses this range on her personal site with the series. I have the book and notebook and see quite a bit that my second grader will enjoy and understand. Some, of course, no, but the way the Christian worldview is implemented and discusses in this book is just beautiful, and I really appreciate it as a mom to young kids. :)

I was referring specifically about the co-op question about age range. I don't think there is anything inappropriate, just that there is much that younger children won't understand so I'd want to know what the author thinks before using it in those age ranges in a co-op setting. Sorry about the confusion.

I've glanced through it briefly, and my first thought was that it's a jump up from the Zoology book we are finishing.

My oldest is going to be in 2nd and I don't expect him to retain it all, by any means. I like the idea of taking 2 years to go through it though, maybe supplementing with library books for free reading as we go.

I've been asked to teach this to a 4th-6th grade coop class. I can't find any grade recommendations on the Apologia website. Are the age recs in the catalog?

Thanks!

yeah they were in my Seton catalog (apologia is the alternative to their own science)

I didn't realize the grade recommendations are for 6-8 grade. I thought it was for elementary age? Is it complex?

I think it's set on that comprehension level so that's the designation. and it does have less pictures than normal.

I was referring specifically about the co-op question about age range. I don't think there is anything inappropriate, just that there is much that younger children won't understand so I'd want to know what the author thinks before using it in those age ranges in a co-op setting. Sorry about the confusion.

:) Thanks- I understand what you're saying.

I sent an email to Jeannie Fulbright to ask about the age recommendations for Anatomy, and she sent me a quick, gracious reply. She told me that she thinks the book is a "bit more advanced" that the others, but she's using it very succesfully with her third grader.