Menu

I have yet to make it through an SL core...

Abbeygurl4

I have 1+2, 3, 4 and 6. I love the books but the kids and I are tired of reading, reading and more reading. Ds is 11 and dd is 7 and both are capable, avid readers. They are just bored.

I showed them the Winter Promise website and they both liked the notebooking and hands-on aspects of WP. I'd like to have a fun year for a change. I was thinking about WP's "Sea and Sky", which probably doesn't tie into any of the SL cores I own, but looks fun. After Sea&Sky I thought I could just start back on a history cycle with SL 6 and Winter Promise's Ancient History combined?

Any thoughts or advice?

I've used SL Pre-K, K, 1, 2 and 3. I had fully intended to just go ahead with 4 and I still may, but I've been thinking about doing something a little different because my daughter is dying for hands-on activities. I've been considering using the WP AS2 history books and activities and then using the SL 4 readers and read-alouds. Fortunately for me, I had already collected most of SL except for the history books and it looks like I can get almost all the WP history books from the library, so I can at least try it out for a week if I want to.

Alternatively, I just finally got around to organizing the Revolutionary War TT cd-rom I bought 6 months ago and my kids have been working on the lapbook portion a little each day while I read to them. This might just be enough to make my daughter happy. I'm going to wait and make my decision after they are done with the lapbooks and see if they want to do more of that kind of activity or if we need to make bigger changes.

Lisa

We are doing Winterpromise Sea and Sky for 4th grade, so I think it is a good choice. You might also look at Heart of Dakota is similar to Sonlight as far as literature selections go, but it uses more of a CM approach. Less reading over all, more of a literature approach to history and science and more learning with the books that are read, and hands-on activities also.

I think Sea and Sky would be a good choice for your students with the Young Learner's Guide. Some of the stuff in the main program will go over the younger's head, but the YLG has book suggestions and which resources in the main program will likely interest her. There is Children Around the World also.

We are doing Winterpromise Sea and Sky for 4th grade, so I think it is a good choice. You might also look at Heart of Dakota is similar to Sonlight as far as literature selections go

I've actually bought and then sold HOD twice :) I think what draws me to WP is their notebooking approach with their "make-your-own" captain's log and the myo history notebooks.

I'm thinking about Sea and SKy too. I thought I was settled on SL5, then read a lot of things that convinced me it would be too much for my boys right now(almost 11, newly 9). I think the Captain's Log from S&S looks like so much fun!

For those of you who have done this, can you share a bit about the program? Is it "meaty" enough in history and literature? I go back and forth...it looks like fun, but I'm not completely sold on it yet.

Over the years, I've had a few friends with the same problem. They all switched to TOG and have been happy every since. It combines the wonderful lit. selections, but intends for the dc to read more independently; although still providing read aloud time. It also takes you deeper into Socratic discussion. Finally, it offers many suggestions for some hands-on fun! We love TOG! I've blogged a little bit about it, if you're interested in more details.

TOG isn't as open and go as WP. It is a great program, I bought a digital unit and tried it out. I didn't like having to print everything out, choose books, order books and read read read. I'm not organized enough for TOG.

I like the hands on activities, notebooking and timeline aspects of WP and I don't have to print anything out.

I enjoyed your blog!

I am chomping at the bit to begin our voyage in Sea and Sky, myself. It is so appealing! We have it on our shelves and are waiting until July 12 to begin. IMO it is plenty "meaty"... the first read aloud is unabridged Treasure Island. There's a lot of info in the program! We have the YLG as well and I love the materials provided there. It might still feel a bit "much" with the supplements(regular materials and YLG materials). I am going to slow down the schedule to get the most benefit from all of the materials, I think.

Did you get the readers as well? Do you know how they compare to the SL readers for the same age range? I am shying away from SL 5 or 6 because I think it would be too challenging for my 9 yr old. But, I also don't want it to be too easy for the 11 yr old. lol Just wondering.

Also, can you share a bit about the history included? It says it's a full year, through the lense of sea/air/space travel. We have not had anything other than American history so far. It's our first year and we're just finishing SL 3. Do you think it would be ok even as a first time through world history? Is there "enough" history in your opinion?

Re. OP -- I am getting a bit tired of reading, reading, reading as well! I feel lilke my kids have learned a lot, and there's much that I really like about SL, but I also think my kiddos would be a bit happier with some fun, hands-on things.

Edited by michelle l

Here's a link to the "spine", John Tiner's Exploring Planet Earth, with samples:

http://www.christianbook.com/exploring-planet-earth-the-journey-discovery/john-tiner/9780890511787/pd/11780?item_code=WW&netp_id=134128&event=ESRCN&view=details#curr

There is one chapter of this scheduled per week (includes a question and answer handout at the end of the chapter), and then the corresponding topics are explored in depth. Books which stood out to me for their important historical information were:

Story of the Vikings

Wright Brothers for Kids

Galileo for Kids

Exploring the Solar System: A History

There are also plenty of historical fiction titles used as Adventure Reading, including Treasure Island, and Carry on, Mr. Bowditch.

The Younger Learner Guide includes many titles for emerging readers, such as the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Submarines-Step-Reading-Sydelle-Kramer/dp/0375825746/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276186865&sr=1-1

The readers are probably somewhere in the middle between your 9 and 11 year olds, unless one of them is very advanced or still an emerging reader. True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle looks a bit advanced, but Everything Kids Shark Book looks fine for a 9yo.

The Younger Learner Guide includes many titles for emerging readers, such as the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Submarines-Step-Reading-Sydelle-Kramer/dp/0375825746/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276186865&sr=1-1

The readers are probably somewhere in the middle between your 9 and 11 year olds, unless one of them is very advanced or still an emerging reader. True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle looks a bit advanced, but Everything Kids Shark Book looks fine for a 9yo.

I'm wondering if I need the YLG? My dd is 7.5 but she reads at 5th grade level. Is it mainly a booklist?