Menu

HELP! I'm new to hs and having a hard time with LA (long, sorry!)

I've just discovered you all here! I am new to homeschooling and am having the HARDEST time with LA programs!

Background: My DS is 7 will be 8 in Nov. He will be starting 2nd here at home beginning in Aug. DD is 4, 5 in Nov and will attend church preschool 4 morning a week starting in August.

My DS struggles with reading. He was in PS for 1st and we had a private tutor 2 x per wk all year. He tests as an entering 2nd grader in reading, but it is NOT easy for him and he is really struggling. We are reading daily still now (him to me and me to him) that it's summer. Anyway, all of the choices are killing me! So, can you guys help?

Phonics: He finished 100EZ with tutor, I have PP, but he knows it all I went through the back half and he did just fine--anyone rec a program to follow b/c he still needs the digraphs and dipthongs, etc...or should I combine with spelling program like AAS? Maybe ETC or R&S Phonics 2?

Spelling: see above...AAS or should I try sequential spelling...I looked at spelling workout but I don't think it will work for him...

Grammar: R&S 2 (but I think he might need 3 b/c he seems to already know all of this, maybe I should review at first) Thoughts on levels?

Reading: Pathway readers and workbooks, but also supplement books tied in with history (using SOTW)--he needs more fluency

Handwriting: HWT2

Writing: I need comments on WWE and WS...they seem completely different. WWE is mostly for narration and dictation and WS is more creative writing, right? I really would like to do both, but I know I'm ambitious!

Anyway, I'm open to any and all helping comments!

Welcome!

Here's what I would do, ymmv as usual--

I'd drop grammar for now and focus on getting reading skills down. If he's been thru PP, then it seems to me he just needs to practice. The Activity Guide for SOTW has lots of wonderful reader suggestions tied (of course) to history. Use it as a reading resource.

I'd think about just reading the Pathway readers w/o the workbooks.

Use narration with history, making notebook pages ala WTM. He will have plenty of practice with grammar, writing, and summarizing.

Spelling--whatever you want. I'd pick one that approaches phonics from the spelling angle, so AAS sounds great.

Handwriting--Does he really need more instruction on how to form the letters, or does he just need practice? Having him do copywork is fine if he just needs more practice. You can have him copy a few sentences of his history narration, a line or two from a favorite read aloud, or an inspirational verse. A couple of times a week is fine.

So, to summarize, use history as the basis for your language arts, for the most part. Kills several birds with one giant stone. lol

First of all, for reading, look at these threads that have input from Elizabeth B, a phonics tutor. If your student struggles with phonics and they are guessing or using too many sight words it is actually better to stop outside reading.

Struggling with Reading

Syllabary versus Phonograms - HUH?

I would definitely recommend a spelling program that will shore up phonics. All About Spelling is a good choice. Also... I am using the Phonics Road level one. It is perfect for 2nd grade, IMO. Phonics Road level 2 starts in with grammar... very good, very deep grammar. I like the fact that Phonics Road is the only Language Arts program I will need until we are done with it. When you are done with Phonics Road you have covered all of the Language Arts (writing too!) that your child will need in grade school. So that is my recommendation to all of your questions!

The Phonics Road to Spelling & Reading-The Bridge Here is the social group with a ton of information.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Hi,

First of all, have you had his eyes tested? (by a good pediatric opthamologist??) Second, I'm a big, big fan of ETC. We've only just started AAS, but love, love it. I agree about stopping grammar until reading is established.

Angela

I've just discovered you all here! I am new to homeschooling and am having the HARDEST time with LA programs!

Background: My DS is 7 will be 8 in Nov. My 7yo ds is the same age! It's a great age, isn't it. :D

Phonics: He finished 100EZ with tutor, I have PP, but he knows it all I went through the back half and he did just fine--anyone rec a program to follow b/c he still needs the digraphs and dipthongs, etc...or should I combine with spelling program like AAS? Maybe ETC or R&S Phonics 2? My suggestion is to stop phonics and focus on spelling instead. A good spelling program will review phonics.

Spelling: see above...AAS or should I try sequential spelling...I looked at spelling workout but I don't think it will work for him... You can also look at the Writing Road to Reading style books, or Spelling Power. Spend time here to find a spelling program you're thrilled with. Your ds sounds like he doesn't need phonics, but is ready for an excellent spelling program.

Grammar: R&S 2 (but I think he might need 3 b/c he seems to already know all of this, maybe I should review at first) Thoughts on levels? Don't jump R&S by a grade level. R&S starts out nice and gentle, but accelerates greatly in the middle school years. The middle school years are aggressive, and children can have problems at that point if they're accelerated. My 7yo son will be doing R&S 2 this year also, even though it will be easy for him. I consider it a confidence builder. ;)

Reading: Pathway readers and workbooks, but also supplement books tied in with history (using SOTW)--he needs more fluency Have you tried the Dick and Jane readers, or other sight word readers? I don't like using sight reading books to teach a child to read, but they are excellent for building fluency. My best readers have read and reread the Dick and Jane books again, and again, and again.

Writing: I need comments on WWE and WS...they seem completely different. WWE is mostly for narration and dictation and WS is more creative writing, right? I really would like to do both, but I know I'm ambitious! R&S includes writing. Do you want another writing program in addition to R&S, or do you plan on dropping the composition portions of R&S?

:001_smile:

First of all, have you had his eyes tested? (by a good pediatric opthamologist??)
:iagree:They will check much, much more than just reading a chart like the pediatrician, and they need to. Look into it.

Rod and Staff Grammar is actually scheduled very lightly in Heart of Dakota because it quickly becomes too much for many people. They schedule 4 and 5 for two years each.

Thank you!

I am reviewing all of your suggestions today!

We have had his eyes tested. He has some mild sensory and auditory issues, so we have had the full vision testing done by a developmental optometrist. He has 20/20 vision, but it helps with tracking if he wears very light reading glasses (=.50) which the dr. prescribed. He thinks he's Harry Potter :lol:!

Many Moms stress about math...LA is my stress area, I think b/c I know how important it is to everything else. It's hard for me b/c I never struggled and I want to help but I'm not sure what to do!

LA is my stress area, I think b/c I know how important it is to everything else.

BRAVO!! You are a full year ahead of were I was at this age. I was running around concentrating on history/science/art -- you know, all the fun stuff. I had to get hit with a brick wall to finally listen to what everyone had been telling me since my first day of homeschooling --- it's all about the reading, everything else will come after.

I think one of the greatest things we did was "book camp" (think "boot camp"). Everything stopped and all we did was reading. We read and read and read. Now, with lots of tears (hers and mines) MY BABY IS READING CHAPTER BOOKS!!!!!:party:

I think I would suggest sitting down with your child, some sort of book you think he should be able to read and a notebook. Watch him, listen to him and take some notes. Find out where the real trouble lies. There might just be a few mistakes, that he makes over and over again. This can really put a wrench in the works.

I just really want to give you lots of :grouphug:.

Angela

BRAVO!! You are a full year ahead of were I was at this age. I was running around concentrating on history/science/art -- you know, all the fun stuff. I had to get hit with a brick wall to finally listen to what everyone had been telling me since my first day of homeschooling --- it's all about the reading, everything else will come after.

I think one of the greatest things we did was "book camp" (think "boot camp"). Everything stopped and all we did was reading. We read and read and read. Now, with lots of tears (hers and mines) MY BABY IS READING CHAPTER BOOKS!!!!!:party:

I think I would suggest sitting down with your child, some sort of book you think he should be able to read and a notebook. Watch him, listen to him and take some notes. Find out where the real trouble lies. There might just be a few mistakes, that he makes over and over again. This can really put a wrench in the works.

I just really want to give you lots of :grouphug:.

Angela

Great idea for the book camp!! Mine might really buy into this theory! I can't wait for the day when he can read chapter books, he so wants to!

Background: My DS is 7 will be 8 in Nov. He will be starting 2nd here at home beginning in Aug. DD is 4, 5 in Nov and will attend church preschool 4 morning a week starting in August.

My DS struggles with reading. He was in PS for 1st and we had a private tutor 2 x per wk all year. He tests as an entering 2nd grader in reading, but it is NOT easy for him and he is really struggling. We are reading daily still now (him to me and me to him) that it's summer. Anyway, all of the choices are killing me! So, can you guys help?

Phonics: He finished 100EZ with tutor, I have PP, but he knows it all I went through the back half and he did just fine--anyone rec a program to follow b/c he still needs the digraphs and dipthongs, etc...or should I combine with spelling program like AAS? Maybe ETC or R&S Phonics 2?

Spelling: see above...AAS or should I try sequential spelling...I looked at spelling workout but I don't think it will work for him...

Grammar: R&S 2 (but I think he might need 3 b/c he seems to already know all of this, maybe I should review at first) Thoughts on levels?

Reading: Pathway readers and workbooks, but also supplement books tied in with history (using SOTW)--he needs more fluency

Writing: I need comments on WWE and WS...they seem completely different. WWE is mostly for narration and dictation and WS is more creative writing, right? I really would like to do both, but I know I'm ambitious!

For reading, I would suggest the Sonlight Readers for practice. You can buy just the readers schedule for levels 1 & 2 (there are actually 3 levels of level 2 to pick from).

I would drop phonics and switch to spelling and have him practice reading to you. I don't know much about AAS, but from what I've read on the board here I would use this one of the two. Sequential Spelling (which we're using) doesn't reinforce phonetic rules.

Grammar: R&S 2 is perfect for 2nd grade. I would not do 3 with a 2nd grader because it ramps up quite a bit. You could even drop grammar and pick it back up with 3 next year and spend this year solidifying his reading skills.

Writing: I love WWE for this age. If no one has recommended it, I would highly suggest downloading the A Plan for Teaching Writing mp3--at least the Elementary one, but all 3 if you can. They are very helpful for explaining SWB's writing plan.

My ds is the same age and at the same reading level (or actually probably behind). What has really worked for us well are OPGTR, AAS, ETC, WWE and Bob Books. We have just gotten to the point of doing some Dr. Suess books, and I love the sonlight read-alouds, history and Readers to fill in. We're about to use Story of the World next year, so I am anxious to check out some of the recommended books to go along with that.

I just want to add in here, there is a wide range of "normal" when it comes to learning to read. Many children(boys especially) don't learn to read easily by age 7. This is why many are diagnosed with LDs or just "reading problems". Sometimes they are just fine and will learn a bit later. My ds is 9, very soon to be 10. He is just coming into his reading skills this year. It is still not up to grade level. But he has made such leaps this year I am confident he will be up to grade level soon enough. There are those (my family mostly:glare:) who thought something was "wrong" and he needed special help.

I just wanted to put this out there too. As to programs, we found the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading enormously helpful. However, I didn't use it as written at all. But doing it my way ds went from struggling with board books to reading Magic Tree house within one month's time. I didn't do anything special. Basically, I just verbally went through each lesson. No writing, no games. And we did 3-4 lessons at a sitting. Speed learning, I guess.

I can't thank you all enough! I am seriously stressing over all of the choices out there!

I am going to order AAS level 1 and starter set next pay day...the budget always gets me! I already have R&S Preparing to Build (grammar) 2 so I like the idea of using it as a confidence builder and review NEVER hurts. And, I may just can HWT 2 and try to work the handwriting issues through with the narration/copywork/dictation in WWE 1. I also have all of Abeka's level 2 readers and the 2nd year Pathway readers, so I will work on those with him. I am going to look into the Sonlight ones as well. So I guess, no phonics book...I'm scared, but if it isn't working, I will add something to it then, I guess?? maybe ETC and then drop the grammar for awhile. It seems like AAS will cover/review them for him though. Does this all seem 'doable'? I am trying to follow the TWTM suggestions, but it's hard when I'm not starting at the beginning and need to figure how 'how' to hs at the same time, KWIM?

Yes, I know what you mean!

AAS does cover phonics. Take a look at the scope and sequence; you may want to try to also get to level two next year. I really feel that it would be a better investment than a phonics program (especially ETC, our experience wasn't very positive with it).

My experience on the handwriting: After trying to switch to just WWE for handwriting, I had to get Zaner-Bloser. Emily's handwriting really improved after using it. It was better for her to separate that skill out from others.

Just to clarify; was that with you doing all of the talking, or did you have him read the bolded parts?

Believe it or not, it was me doing the talking about 85-90% of the time. Sometimes I would have him read the words after I gave him the information about a particular sound, but not always. I think he was just REALLY ready for it and his brain could process a lot of information fast. It was good this way, because he hated phonics. So, this got us through faster. I do need to go back and do more with him though.