Menu

How do you schedule / plan AAS??

Aludlam

Just wondering how everyone else schedules AAS. I've tried really hard to "not" be a box checker, but things are falling through the cracks. So, now I've got to make some boxes to check. Could you please share how you plan out AAS? (fyi ... we are about to start AAS2).

thanks

Angela

We are also about to start AAS2....

Day 1. Teach the lesson. Build 5 of the words on the board. Do dictation for 3 phrases.

Day 2. Review. Build 5 of the words on the board. Do dictation for 3 phrases.

Day 3 Review(may include writing). Write 5 of the words in his notebook.

Day 4 Review(may include writing). Write 5 of the words in his notebook.

HTH

We take about 2-3 days per lesson, which is a little bit fast, but it's working well. I sometimes set a timer for 20 minutes. Sometimes we go over. We've on Lesson 21 of Level 2 now.

Day 1

Review and introduce new concepts. Spell the 10 words with tiles.

Day 2 (if needed)

Review concept, write 10 words on paper. More words (sometimes she wants to do this orally, sometimes on paper, sometimes with tiles).

Day 3

Write on Paper - Phrases and Sentences

Mark Progress Chart, jump up and down crazily.

Can't remember when "Writing Station" comes in (Level 3?). We usually spend about two days doing the new lesson part (about 15-20 minutes per day), because in later levels the lessons are a little more involved (we're starting Level 6 this fall). Here's what we do:

M-Review cards and Word Bank, teach 1/2 of lesson, dictate list (may or may not use tiles)

T-Teach remaining lesson, if any (will move on to dictating sentences if lesson is complete), re-dictate list

W-Dictate 1/2 of the sentences

T-Dictate rest of the sentences

F-Writing Station, adding in any words that have been missed during the week

We usually cover one "Step" per week.

HTH!

I set the timer for 15 minutes for my 5th grader, 20 for my 7th grader. We start with 2-5 minutes of review, and then go into the lesson. We work until the timer goes off, and then pick up there the next day after review cards. Simple to follow & no scheduling needed! Put a box for AAS on your schedule every day & check it off. If you want, write the lesson number you are on each day.

Merry :-)

I plan on 1 full lesson per day. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it does not.

After every 2-3 lessons we review all the rules we have learnt so far.

I maintain a list of mispelled words during the lesson. Each time I review the rules we review the list of mis-spelled words list too.

Currently we do one lesson a day. My daughter is going into 3rd grade though & we started in book 1 (just finished it). I wanted to start from the beginning to make sure we cover all concepts, but she is moving at an accelerated pace because it's all review at this point. We finshed Book 1 in about 3 weeks & I imagine Book 2 will be the same pace. We'll keep it up until we hit a point that requires us to slow down.

Susan

Thank you all for responding! It looks like we'll be doing a lesson or so a day while we're still in the review stage (dd8 also started in book 1). Then as we progress we will probably slow down to one lesson per week (or so!).

Thanks so much! I am just trying to "pace" out our year, so I can stop thinking about it! :lol:

thanks again

Angela

We take about 2-3 days per lesson, which is a little bit fast, but it's working well. I sometimes set a timer for 20 minutes. Sometimes we go over. We've on Lesson 21 of Level 2 now.

Day 1

Review and introduce new concepts. Spell the 10 words with tiles.

Day 2 (if needed)

Review concept, write 10 words on paper. More words (sometimes she wants to do this orally, sometimes on paper, sometimes with tiles).

Day 3

Write on Paper - Phrases and Sentences

Mark Progress Chart, jump up and down crazily.

This is basically what we do as well. One lesson over 2-3 days as needed. We need to add the 'Mark Progress Chart, jump up and down crazily' to our day though. ;) Sounds like so much fun!

Just wondering how everyone else schedules AAS. I've tried really hard to "not" be a box checker, but things are falling through the cracks. So, now I've got to make some boxes to check. Could you please share how you plan out AAS? (fyi ... we are about to start AAS2).

thanks

Angela

Honestly, I don't. On our lesson plans (which typically say "Exercise 12" or "Lesson 45," or "pp. 78-79" (IOW, very detailed) I have "All About Spelling." There is simply no way for me to know which concepts she's going to have trouble with, how long it will take us to move through a lesson, etc. So I don't even bother trying to pre-plan. We spend about 10-15 minutes on it each day. If that causes us to stop in the middle of the lesson, that's what we do, and we pick up where we left off the next day.