Menu

Strawberries and fish oil....

So, I have started my dd on an essential fatty acid blend which consists of fish oil, vit E, and primrose oil. We started low at first because I wasn't sure about too high doses of vit E. But, after research, we decided to do the full dose. When dd was taking one gelcap, it took her 5 min. to swallow it. Now that we are starting the full dose, she has to take 4!

I thought, "well I'll just cut them open and mix them in something, perhaps this strawbery yogurt". From the moment I opened the first one, our cat was practically climbing me like a tree! I was astonished at just how much fish could be in 4 little gelcaps. After mixing the yogurt, I was gagging and knew this would never work :001_unsure:. Did I mention that I detest fish? I didn't want to waste the 4 gelcaps or the yogurt, expensive organic yogurt, what was I thinking! I was committed at this point.

So, I thought, "well I'll turn it into a smoothie. I added 4 big strawberries and vanilla icecream for good measure. Surely his will hide the fish smell." Do you know what you get when you add strawberries, icecream, yogurt and fish oil? That's right, a smoothie that smells like fish. There was nothing left to do. I stuck a straw in it and put on a big smile :D. All I can say, Is thank God for allergies. Her little nose is so stuffed up that she can't smell and hence, can't taste well. She drank it. :blink: I had to suppress a gag when she offered me some. :ack2: I felt like a horrible mommy! Next time, I will just wait for 20 minutes while she swallows the 4 caps.

On related note, I invented the next appetite suppressant. Just make a fish and strawberry smoothie for someone and I guarantee you won't want to eat for a few hours!

I thought high-quality fish oil wasn't supposed to have a terribly fishy smell. :confused: We use Nordic Naturals, and it's really not that bad. I've gotten fish oil from Costco before...now that smelled fishy! :tongue_smilie:

:ack2::ack2::ack2:GAGGGING JUST READING YOUR POST! lol

Can I ask what she needs to take it for??

It is part of a regimen we are trying from Dianne Craft. It is supposed to help children that have ADD like tendencies. Plus, we never eat fish and I know that the fish oil supplement would be good for her.

I thought high-quality fish oil wasn't supposed to have a terribly fishy smell. :confused: We use Nordic Naturals, and it's really not that bad. I've gotten fish oil from Costco before...now that smelled fishy! :tongue_smilie:

I am new to fish oil supplements. I went straight to the brand recommended. After this, I will definitely look at other options. And, I guess it is all relative. Someone who doesn't hate fish and is used to these supplements may have thought that this was not a bad smell. The cat seemed to like it. :glare:

It is part of a regimen we are trying from Dianne Craft. It is supposed to help children that have ADD like tendencies. Plus, we never eat fish and I know that the fish oil supplement would be good for her.

Oh okay :) I knew that it was suppose to be good for you, just never heard the connection w/ADD tendencies. :001_smile:

My kiddos take a Nordic Naturals fish oil that are small. They are shaped like little bb's almost and supposedly have a strawberry taste - just what you want to hear right now! Anyway they go down easily.

Kristine in VA

:001_huh: Actually, I am open to any suggestion so long as I don't have to make another fish and strawberry smoothie. I will look into these. Thank you.

:001_huh: Actually, I am open to any suggestion so long as I don't have to make another fish and strawberry smoothie. I will look into these. Thank you.

Carlson's makes a fish oil supplement for kids - it tastes like lemon, even if they chew the capsule. DS used to call them lemon drops when he was younger and I gave those to him. He now takes a single pill - one Vectomega - it's imported from France - it's high potency and easy to take with just one needed instead of multiple pills/capsules.

• 2 months later...

After having just met with Dianne, we have our boys on three different fish oil supplements. Because if one is good, three is better, right? : )

ChildLife cold liver oil (strawberry flavor) which all three boys love and two are very picky. Even my four-year old loves it.

I just bought, from Costco, a product called Omega Blendz (tropical fruit flavor) which all three boys love but has about 1/2 the recommended amounts of ChildLife.

And then, for good measure, they take 4 caps of Nature's Way EFA Blend for Children. Because they can swallow. Well, the 7 & 8 yos take those and the 4 yo, who is already a brainiac, only takes 1 tsp of the cod liver oil.

I will tell you that the Omega Blendz (made by Barlean's) has smoothie flavor & consistency and would work well in smoothies. But it's supposedly great by itself. It's just so thick that it's hard to get out of the dropper.

HTH!! Kim

My kiddos take a Nordic Naturals fish oil that are small. They are shaped like little bb's almost and supposedly have a strawberry taste - just what you want to hear right now! Anyway they go down easily.

Kristine in VA

This is what we used when they were younger as well. They are easy to swallow but apparently they don't taste too bad even if the child chews them. I also found a chewable acidophilis that tasted like either banana or strawberry (choice) that they really likes. I don't recall the name of this as I just threw away the last bottle today but if you really want to know I will go dig it out and look. I got them at Whole Foods though.