Menu

What to include on medical bracelet

I know, I am not a parent. I am sorry but I saw that many people on here have children with severe food allergies, so I thought I might get a lot of help on here.

Background: I am 16 years old with a severe peanut allergy. The smell of peanut oil makes my throat scratch, and if I touch it that area of skin will blow up and get hives. Fatal, when eaten. I have only had one major attack, thank God, but many minor ones from touching and smelling. I am allergic to many other foods, nothing serious. The second most serious would be soy, but only in large quantities. It has been progressing all my life though, so I fear the day it gets fatal.

For some reason or other, I have never had a medical bracelet, but my parents and I believe since I am becoming more independent and going out more by myself, I should have some way of telling people what is wrong if having a reaction. I carry an epi-pen constantly.

What would you include on a medical bracelet? I found one that lets me put 5 lines on the front and 5 lines on the back. I put:

Front:

Jane Doe

DOB: 10/08/93

Food Allergies*

Info on back

Back:

Epi-pen will save

my life.

If none, call 911 and

give Benadryl.

But I don't feel this is adequate. I am scared someone won't know how to use the epi-pen, but of course I can't include that on the bracelet. Does anyone know of any bracelets that allow for more info on them, or packed inside them? What do you include on Medical Alert bracelets?

Edited by BeatleMania

I also have asthma but don't know if I should include on bracelet. It is exercise induced, but because I have severe year-round allergies (pollen of any kind, dust, cats, dogs, etc.) and sometimes will have asthma attacks from those. I carry an inhaler though. Should that be included??

Call the company that you are ordering the bracelet from and ask them how it should be done. Medic Alert helped me a lot with both of my children's bracelets as far as how to get all of the information on.

The only thing I can think of as far as how to use the epipen would be to have instructions attached to it.

You do need a bracelet and you want to get one from medic alert. They are most recognized by medical personnel. Even more, they have a service associated with it so medical personnel can get all your medical information by calling a number. They have some type of kids program that is pretty reasonable in cost per year for the service. They will also tell you exactly what you should put on the bracelet.

However, I've got experience with this because my son has an anaphylactic tree nut allergy and also asthma.

They will tell you that asthma is always listed first and you always list asthma. You will also list anaphylactic allergies or anaphylaxis.

Do you carry a two pack of epi pens? You need a two pack. Sometimes the first is not enough or doesn't last long enough and sometimes something goes wrong with the first pen use. A significant portion of people need a second shot.

:grouphug:

For my small children I have learned that the metal id bracelets are not a good deal. They get them scratched up and they are unreadable very fast. And info may change, my husband has a new cell through his work, my daughter has been identified with new allergies !

So I bought 2 velcro bracelets like these... http://www.laurenshope.com/product/433/V2/hot-pink-adjustable-medical-id-bracelet/size . I bought extra tabs and can change info anytime I need to. They are nice because they would fit my 6 month old infant daughters leg or fit my chunky son. I later purchased another for my husband.

My son has one because of severe- chronic asthma. My daughter because of anaphylaxis to cows milk and egg. My husband has one because he has heart stents. My children have one sewn to their carseats. They also wear one.

My husband wears his on trips and one is in his wallet, his cell phone has the first number in his address books as ICE - Heart Pat. and the Cardiologists number. He also carries the type of stent and them meds he and my children are on in his wallet.

I think everyone with a major medical condition should have something. I will get the kids the dog tags when they are a bit bigger.

We have name of child, medical condition, doctors name and number, our cell numbers. My husbands lists his name, heart patient, the doctors name and number and my cell.

My 9yo daughter has a bunch of food allergies, and we have just listed the most serious on her bracelet. It says:

Allergic

to peanuts,

tree nuts, all

legumes. Carries Epipen Jr.

[acct. number]

If you have a MedicAlert bracelet, it lists the account number and emergency personnel know to access that for complete information.

You do need a bracelet and you want to get one from medic alert. They are most recognized by medical personnel. Even more, they have a service associated with it so medical personnel can get all your medical information by calling a number. They have some type of kids program that is pretty reasonable in cost per year for the service. They will also tell you exactly what you should put on the bracelet.

However, I've got experience with this because my son has an anaphylactic tree nut allergy and also asthma.

They will tell you that asthma is always listed first and you always list asthma. You will also list anaphylactic allergies or anaphylaxis.

Do you carry a two pack of epi pens? You need a two pack. Sometimes the first is not enough or doesn't last long enough and sometimes something goes wrong with the first pen use. A significant portion of people need a second shot.

:grouphug:

We're definitely looking into MedicAlert.

I do have a two pack.

Thank you for all the suggestions :)

For my small children I have learned that the metal id bracelets are not a good deal. They get them scratched up and they are unreadable very fast. And info may change, my husband has a new cell through his work, my daughter has been identified with new allergies !

So I bought 2 velcro bracelets like these... http://www.laurenshope.com/product/433/V2/hot-pink-adjustable-medical-id-bracelet/size . I bought extra tabs and can change info anytime I need to. They are nice because they would fit my 6 month old infant daughters leg or fit my chunky son. I later purchased another for my husband.

My son has one because of severe- chronic asthma. My daughter because of anaphylaxis to cows milk and egg. My husband has one because he has heart stents. My children have one sewn to their carseats. They also wear one.

My husband wears his on trips and one is in his wallet, his cell phone has the first number in his address books as ICE - Heart Pat. and the Cardiologists number. He also carries the type of stent and them meds he and my children are on in his wallet.

I think everyone with a major medical condition should have something. I will get the kids the dog tags when they are a bit bigger.

We have name of child, medical condition, doctors name and number, our cell numbers. My husbands lists his name, heart patient, the doctors name and number and my cell.

We have that same bracelet for my DD2 (not for allergies, for epilepsy) and they are nice for the amount of info you can put in, but I've found they don't hold up very well.

For my kids, I just put their names, their dad's cell phone (he answers more reliably than I do), and "allergic to nuts". They aren't true "medic-alert" jewelry -- from what I heard from others, those were largely ignored anyway. But I did want a way of identifying them (if, for instance, allergies caused ds to be unable to speak) and a way to know the most likely cause. I think telling someone to use an EpiPen is superfluous. Either they know allergies = epi-pen, or they won't have a clue how to use one anyway. Being able to tell 911 that someone can't breathe and has allergies should be enough.

We have that same bracelet for my DD2 (not for allergies, for epilepsy) and they are nice for the amount of info you can put in, but I've found they don't hold up very well.

I have had mine for 20 minths and they are still holding up well. I am getting ready to transition to dog tags soon.