Menu

Math, LDs and confidence

I am a broken record. I am sorry. Maybe now that I have looked into other causes you all will have different suggestions for me?

I read the book on LDs and other than ADHD DD doesn't have any. Visual perception seems fine. So why does she cry over math? Every program we have tried? Horizons, Abeka, MUS and Math Mammoth. Why does she say it is too hard? Why does it take her 45 minutes to do one worksheet of something (like telling time) that she did in less time 2 years ago? Why do I have to teach it to her all over again before each lesson even when I can prove that she has done it before?

Any suggestions?

Here is what I can tell you, Dd9 was doing the same thing. She was having a horrible time in math which did not make any sense to me because she is so gifted and bright. I watched her and realized she could do the work she just hated it. I think when we dislike something it makes it even harder for us to learn and retain it. After months of fighting and crying and math taking hours and still getting nowhere, I finally caved and went with TT. She tested into the 5th grade level and is doing great! She does her lessons 2 a day in about 30 minutes and loves it!!!!! This has begun to change her outlook on math. We do things like Grocery Cart math and I throw in some extra drill sheets and games and she is fine with it. Not saying that TT is a fix all but it really worked here! Good luck!! I know just how you feel...:grouphug:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Is she the 8 year old in your siggie? I think Math On The Level could be a good fit for her because it's more living math, you tailor it to what's best for the child, there isn't a workbook and you have only 5 review problems/day.

Carmen,

You're not a broken record :grouphug:

Do you think it's hormonal? Do you think she's going through a growth spurt or a surge? Maybe summer is just what you need. Did I tell you what we finally did?

After putting dd on a waiting list for a charter school next year, I realized maybe SHE should take some responsibility for her part in the problems this year. I vetoed TT (she placed too high for my comfort), but we tried out Saxon 5/4 for a week. I then gave her the option of Saxon, Horizons, Rod and Staff or A Beka for next year. I told her, "Look, you've done EVERY math program out there. You CAN DO math, you just choose not to. Which one do you want?" She chose Saxon. When I asked her why, these were her reasons:

1. She can read the lesson on her own. There's no "lesson time" like there was for A Beka.

2. She finds the explanations easy to understand.

3. There's not as much work as the other programs.

I agree with what she said, but I think it boiled down to two things, we let her choose and made her take responsibility for her choice (she cannot change). And, she can read the lesson on her own.

Maybe you guys should take a break. No talking Math, no looking at it, pretend it doesn't exist. Then, sometime in July, pull out what you're willing to use, 3 or 4 programs, and make her choose. Tell her whatever she chooses she has to do for the entire year. Go through the samples online or buy used copies of what you're interested in. See what she thinks of that. Maybe it will change her attitude about math. Maybe it will motivate her!:D

Blessings!

Dorinda

We all have different giftings, maybe math just isn't her thing. Or, maybe she's just not ready for the level she's in. Can you back things up a bit? I've used Horizons, but it tends to be 6 months to a year ahead, depending on the year. Also, Horizons has a lot of problems on a page--sometimes within the puzzles etc... there would be 60 problems! I think 20 is plenty at this age & always cut the sets accordingly. Haven't used the other programs but maybe she needs less problem sets or an easier level for awhile. Maybe her brain is focusing on growing in another way. Or, conversely, it's worth considering whether she just doesn't like math & thinks crying might get her out of it?

My kids at this age responded well to "racing." I'd say, "Let's see who will finish first, you with your math, or me with my laundry. Ready...Go!" I always made it so they could win if they tried.

My son at this age didn't like doing math alone, and I often sat with him. It was worth it to sit 20-30 minutes to get it done faster. Sometimes we even traded who wrote the answer--he would tell me & I'd write it.

You could try letting her do math on a white board, or in sidewalk chalk or something else "fun" sometimes. Or take some time off & have her work with manipulatives if she hits a tough concept. Do some math without the book & writing for a time.

Another thing that helped if I felt my kids were really just stalling--I set a time limit. They had 30 minutes to do math (which was plenty if they tried at this age). If they didn't finish, we stopped & went on to the next subject. When school was done for the day, they had "free time." Unless they had "homework," that is. Then they had to sit at the kitchen table (no comfy chair for homework), and work until they were done. It's amazing that once it was "concrete" that it was their own time they were wasting, suddenly they could do math pretty well.

One other thing to consider--some kids get themselves so worked up, thinking that they can't do something, that their minds just seem to go blank & they can't remember anything that day. My son gets this way with a test. He'll forget half of what he knows. The next day he can tell it all to me, but on test day he freezes. Maybe your dd sometimes has herself so worked up, thinking it will be too hard, that she just can't do it that day? Letting her do something easier & rebuilding her confidence might help if that's the case. When I switched to Horizons, my son was in 3rd grade & we started level 2. About half was review, which was great--he suddenly felt he was good at math (which he was before, he just didn't think so). That really turned things around for us. We've had rough spots again, but that got us through the biggest one.

Hope you can figure out how to work with your dd & help her through this! I like Dorinda's idea of taking a break too. Merry :-)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I feel like I have already tried all of them.:confused: I have toyed with the idea of letting her use the overhead projector, but that could get pricey. I think what I really need is some way to build her confidence without it being too easy (ie. boring) or slowing her down any (as she is already behind).

What I have done is to switch to MOTL and use math more in everyday life. Worksheets are dull for ds and he gets frustrated and confused when doing things such as time. So for time I do it during the day. Ask him what is the time now, what time will it be in 25 mins, what time was it 30 mins ago etc. He writes down the time when he begins work and when he finishes. He has a little clock to help him work stuff out. Time can be confusing and if you don't use it all the time I found that he forgot quickly.

Drill is done tossing a bean bag, skipping rope, in the car etc. All that cuts down on seat work. I do the 5 a day so he constantly reviews stuff and if I find he has forgotton something we just do a few more problems.

I think that for some children, particularly if they are working on their own without peers, worksheets are just plain boring. I know that if ds was with several other kids he would be motivated but that just isn't our set up.

Personally I would just ask her one or two of a type of problem and if possible do it orally. Whe have a bouncy ball seat which ds uses when I ask him things-I can't look at him whilst he bounces as it makes me feel sick lol! He just shouts the answer out. For questions that need a pen and paper I often put a sheet of paper on the wall and he works it out there or on a white/black board.

I am desperately trying not to recreate school at home as I'm not teaching 26 kids but just one and so I can afford to use different methods-26 kids on bouncy balls would send me over the edge lol!

I love math mammoth but all those questions can be a bit over whelming. What if you asked her to do three questions at a time-quickly before snack time-only 3 and then a snack. Do a few more before lunch then a few more later. break it down into tiny chunks. Ds is so pleased when he can finish something quickly. Once she gets her confidence back she can do more at a time.

I personally would use the curriculum I have but perhaps employ different methods of using it, especially if you have the digital version as you can print out what you like. I remember for the grade 2 time we did, even I was on my knees doing all those problems! I did them during the year not all at once.

HTH!

Stephanie

I am a broken record. I am sorry. Maybe now that I have looked into other causes you all will have different suggestions for me?

I read the book on LDs and other than ADHD DD doesn't have any. Visual perception seems fine. So why does she cry over math? Every program we have tried? Horizons, Abeka, MUS and Math Mammoth. Why does she say it is too hard? Why does it take her 45 minutes to do one worksheet of something (like telling time) that she did in less time 2 years ago? Why do I have to teach it to her all over again before each lesson even when I can prove that she has done it before?

Any suggestions?

Reading books aren't going to give you the full picture. She needs to have testing done.

Our 18 yos was mis-labeled for almost 6 yrs by drs who refused to do testing b/c they "knew" what was going on by the answers to survey type questions (the same as diagnosing from reading a book.)

Guess what? Psy testing revealed answers to all the "missing pieces." Ds is very bright and that is obvious. But, his intelligence hid HUGE problems which were being revealed in behavioral/anxiety type ways. His "subject matter" IQ is around 122, but his auditory and visual processing IQs are 56 and 59!

FWIW......he never displayed ANY type of anxiety behaviors until almost age 12. Up to age 11 or so, we only thought he was ADHD. From 12-17......I can't even go there b/c mentally it is way to painful. But, I now live with the constant regret that I didn't INSIST on full battery testing. Don't go by books or surveys.......find someone who will help you find the cause of the symptoms and not focus on just dealing with the symptoms.

:rant: :tongue_smilie: Sorry......rant off now! :grouphug:

My youngest is hard to fit with programs. She does have known LDs. I try to make sure that all the programs she uses have plenty of white space and have black ink on white paper (she does best with high contrast). I also make sure that the paper isn't so thin that she can easily see the other side through it (sometimes has background/foreground issues).

The biggest thing I have found is that she is much better at doing math for a set amount of time than for a set amount of work. Knowing that she gets to stop when the timer beeps does more for her than just about anything else.

She was taking 2-3 days to do a single lesson in Singapore Math (and working on math for about an hour each day). As soon as I switched her to a set amount of time rather than a set amount of work, she started doing 1-2 lessons each day in just 25 minutes.

Singapore worked great for her up to a point and then we had to switch. She's using Key to right now.

Reading books aren't going to give you the full picture. She needs to have testing done.

Our 18 yos was mis-labeled for almost 6 yrs by drs who refused to do testing b/c they "knew" what was going on by the answers to survey type questions (the same as diagnosing from reading a book.)

You were right. You were right. Am I surprised that you are right? Not really. Okay, instead of trusting survey questions, or what I know (she draws quite well and all the time, so this is suprising) I went ahead and did the test for visual perception skills in a different book, Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties.

Her Visual Perceptual skills were at K level. She has been doing school work including adding and subtracting since she was 3. I would expect her to be at 3rd grade level if she didn't have a disability. We will be working on the Visual Perception exercises.

Thank you.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I think she needs to be evaluated. This will give you a better understanding of what the problem is. My son had several problems that I would never have realized he had without testing.

:iagree: and :grouphug:

Not only does she need testing, but you need a professional to help design appropriate therapy. Our ds cannot really be helped. Why? B/c the window of opportunity for the best rehabilitation type results occurs at younger ages. this is not something you should try on your own and then if that doesn't work, seek help. Seeking help should be the very first step b/c she is already 8.

Also, it may be hard for you to determine exactly what is occurring. Here is a summary from an LD website (and this is definitely not all-inclusive. this is just a summary of a few of the possibilities. W/o full battery testing, you simply do not know what is happening.)

Visual processing disorder

What is it?

A visual processing, or perceptual, disorder refers to a hindered ability to make sense of information taken in through the eyes. This is different from problems involving sight or sharpness of vision. Difficulties with visual processing affect how visual information is interpreted, or processed by the brain.

Common areas of difficulty and some educational implications: Spatial relation

This refers to the position of objects in space. It also refers to the ability to accurately perceive objects in space with reference to other objects.

Reading and math are two subjects where accurate perception and understanding of spatial relationships are very important. Both of these subjects rely heavily on the use of symbols (letters, numbers, punctuation, math signs). Examples of how difficulty may interfere with learning are in being able to perceive words and numbers as separate units, directionality problems in reading and math, confusion of similarly shaped letters, such as b/d/p/q. The importance of being able to perceive objects in relation to other objects is often seen in math problems. To be successful, the person must be able to associate that certain digits go together to make a single number (ie, 14), that others are single digit numbers, that the operational signs (+,,x,=) are distinct from the numbers, but demonstrate a relationship between them. The only cues to such math problems are the spacing and order between the symbols. These activities presuppose an ability and understanding of spatial relationships.

Visual discrimination

This is the ability to differentiate objects based on their individual characteristics. Visual discrimination is vital in the recognition of common objects and symbols. Attributes which children use to identify different objects include: color, form, shape, pattern, size, and position. Visual discrimination also refers to the ability to recognize an object as distinct from its surrounding environment.

In terms of reading and mathematics, visual discrimination difficulties can interfere with the ability to accurately identify symbols, gain information from pictures, charts, or graphs, or be able to use visually presented material in a productive way. One example is being able to distinguish between an /nl and an Imp, where the only distinguishing feature is the number of humps in the letter. The ability to recognize distinct shapes from their background, such as objects in a picture, or letters on a chalkboard, is largely a function of visual discrimination.

Object recognition (Visual Agnosia)

Many children are unable to visually recognize objects which are familiar to them, or even objects which they can recognize through their other senses, such as touch or smell. One school of thought about this difficulty is that it is based upon an inability to integrate or synthesize visual stimuli into a recognizable whole. Another school of thought attributes this difficulty to a visual memory problem, whereby the person can not retrieve the mental representation of the object being viewed or make the connection between the mental representation and the object itself.

Educationally, this can interfere with the child's ability to consistently recognize letters, numbers, symbols, words, or pictures. This can obviously frustrate the learning process as what is learned on one day may not be there, or not be available to the child, the next. In cases of partial agnosia, what is learned on day one, "forgotten" on day two, may be remembered.

Whole/part relationships

Some children have a difficulty perceiving or integrating the relationship between an object or symbol in its entirety and the component parts which make it up. Some children may only perceive the pieces, while others are only able to see the whole. The common analogy is not being able to see the forest for the trees and conversely, being able to recognize a forest but not the individual trees which make it up.

In school, children are required to continuously transition from the whole to the parts and back again. A "whole perceiver", for example, might be very adept at recognizing complicated words, but would have difficulty naming the letters within it. On the other hand, "part perceivers" might be able to name the letters, or some of the letters within a word, but have great difficulty integrating them to make up a whole, intact word. In creating artwork or looking at pictures, the "part perceivers" often pay great attention to details, but lack the ability to see the relationship between the details. "Whole perceivers", on the other hand, might only be able to describe a piece of artwork in very general terms, or lack the ability to assimilate the pieces to make any sense of it at all. As with all abilities and disabilities, there is a wide range in the functioning of different children.

Interaction with other areas of development

A common area of difficulty is visual motor integration. This is the ability to use visual cues (sight) to guide the child's movements. This refers to both gross motor and fine motor tasks. Often children with difficulty in this area have a tough time orienting themselves in space, especially in relation to other people and objects. These are the children who are often called "clumsy" because they bump into things, place things on the edges of tables or counters where they fall off, "miss" their seats when they sit down, etc. This can interfere with virtually all areas of the child's life: social, academic, athletic, pragmatic. Difficulty with fine motor integration effects a child's writing, organization on paper, and ability to transition between a worksheet or keyboard and other necessary information which is in a book, on a number line, graph, chart, or computer screen.

Interventions

First, a few words about interventions in general. Interventions need to be aimed at the specific needs of the child. No two children share the same set of strengths or areas of weaknesses. An effective intervention is one that utilizes a child's strengths in order to build on the specific areas in need of development. As such, interventions need to be viewed as a dynamic and ever changing process. Although this may sound overwhelming initially, it is important to remember that the process of finding successful interventions becomes easier with time and as the child's learning approach, style, and abilities become more easily seen. The following examples provide some ideas regarding a specific disability. It is only a beginning which is meant to encourage further thinking and development of specific interventions and intervention strategies.

The following represent a number of common interventions and accommodations used with children in their regular classroom:

* For readings

Enlarged print for books, papers, worksheets or other materials which the child is expected to use can often make tasks much more manageable. Some books and other materials are commercially available; other materials will need to be enlarged using a photocopier or computer, when possible.

There are a number of ways to help a child keep focused and not become overwhelmed when using painted information. For many children, a "window" made from cutting a rectangle in an index card helps keep the relevant numbers, words, sentences, etc. in clear focus while blocking out much of the peripheral material which can become distracting. As the child's tracking improves, the prompt can be reduced. For example, after a period of time, one might replace the "window" with a ruler or other straightedge, thus increasing the task demands while still providing additional structure. This can then be reduced to, perhaps, having the child point to the word s/he is reading with only a finger.

* For writing

Adding more structure to the paper a child is using can often help him/her use the paper more effectively. This can be done in a number of ways. For example, lines can be made darker and more distinct. Paper with raised lines to provide kinesthetic feedback is available. Worksheets can be simplified in their structure and the amount of material which is contained per worksheet can be controlled. Using paper which is divided into large and distinct sections can often help with math problems.

* Teaching Style

Being aware and monitoring progress of the child's skills and abilities will help dictate what accommodations in classroom structure and/or materials are appropriate and feasible. In addition, the teacher can help by ensuring the child is never relying solely on an area of weakness, unless that is the specific purpose of the activity. For example, if the teacher is referring to writing on a chalkboard or chart paper, s/he can read aloud what is being read or written, providing an additional means for obtaining the information.

I told her, "Look, you've done EVERY math program out there. You CAN DO math, you just choose not to. Which one do you want?" She chose Saxon. When I asked her why, these were her reasons:
Thanks for the suggestions Dorinda. I was so sure that it was all Emily's attitude until I tested her (thanks to the ladies on this thread). Have you tested your daughter for LDs? After I tested her I read the section on accommodations for Visual Perception Disorder. When Emily gives me the most attitude is when I try to take those accommodations away. And she does seem to do pretty well at times, making me doubt that there is a legitimate problem. I am not sure why.

:iagree: and :grouphug:

Not only does she need testing, but you need a professional to help design appropriate therapy. Our ds cannot really be helped. Why? B/c the window of opportunity for the best rehabilitation type results occurs at younger ages. this is not something you should try on your own and then if that doesn't work, seek help. Seeking help should be the very first step b/c she is already 8.

Also, it may be hard for you to determine exactly what is occurring. Here is a summary from an LD website (and this is definitely not all-inclusive. this is just a summary of a few of the possibilities. W/o full battery testing, you simply do not know what is happening.)

Visual processing disorder

What is it?

A visual processing, or perceptual, disorder refers to a hindered ability to make sense of information taken in through the eyes. This is different from problems involving sight or sharpness of vision. Difficulties with visual processing affect how visual information is interpreted, or processed by the brain.

Common areas of difficulty and some educational implications: Spatial relation

This refers to the position of objects in space. It also refers to the ability to accurately perceive objects in space with reference to other objects.

Reading and math are two subjects where accurate perception and understanding of spatial relationships are very important. Both of these subjects rely heavily on the use of symbols (letters, numbers, punctuation, math signs). Examples of how difficulty may interfere with learning are in being able to perceive words and numbers as separate units, directionality problems in reading and math, confusion of similarly shaped letters, such as b/d/p/q. The importance of being able to perceive objects in relation to other objects is often seen in math problems. To be successful, the person must be able to associate that certain digits go together to make a single number (ie, 14), that others are single digit numbers, that the operational signs (+,,x,=) are distinct from the numbers, but demonstrate a relationship between them. The only cues to such math problems are the spacing and order between the symbols. These activities presuppose an ability and understanding of spatial relationships.

Visual discrimination

This is the ability to differentiate objects based on their individual characteristics. Visual discrimination is vital in the recognition of common objects and symbols. Attributes which children use to identify different objects include: color, form, shape, pattern, size, and position. Visual discrimination also refers to the ability to recognize an object as distinct from its surrounding environment.

In terms of reading and mathematics, visual discrimination difficulties can interfere with the ability to accurately identify symbols, gain information from pictures, charts, or graphs, or be able to use visually presented material in a productive way. One example is being able to distinguish between an /nl and an Imp, where the only distinguishing feature is the number of humps in the letter. The ability to recognize distinct shapes from their background, such as objects in a picture, or letters on a chalkboard, is largely a function of visual discrimination.

Object recognition (Visual Agnosia)

Many children are unable to visually recognize objects which are familiar to them, or even objects which they can recognize through their other senses, such as touch or smell. One school of thought about this difficulty is that it is based upon an inability to integrate or synthesize visual stimuli into a recognizable whole. Another school of thought attributes this difficulty to a visual memory problem, whereby the person can not retrieve the mental representation of the object being viewed or make the connection between the mental representation and the object itself.

Educationally, this can interfere with the child's ability to consistently recognize letters, numbers, symbols, words, or pictures. This can obviously frustrate the learning process as what is learned on one day may not be there, or not be available to the child, the next. In cases of partial agnosia, what is learned on day one, "forgotten" on day two, may be remembered.

Whole/part relationships

Some children have a difficulty perceiving or integrating the relationship between an object or symbol in its entirety and the component parts which make it up. Some children may only perceive the pieces, while others are only able to see the whole. The common analogy is not being able to see the forest for the trees and conversely, being able to recognize a forest but not the individual trees which make it up.

In school, children are required to continuously transition from the whole to the parts and back again. A "whole perceiver", for example, might be very adept at recognizing complicated words, but would have difficulty naming the letters within it. On the other hand, "part perceivers" might be able to name the letters, or some of the letters within a word, but have great difficulty integrating them to make up a whole, intact word. In creating artwork or looking at pictures, the "part perceivers" often pay great attention to details, but lack the ability to see the relationship between the details. "Whole perceivers", on the other hand, might only be able to describe a piece of artwork in very general terms, or lack the ability to assimilate the pieces to make any sense of it at all. As with all abilities and disabilities, there is a wide range in the functioning of different children.

Interaction with other areas of development

A common area of difficulty is visual motor integration. This is the ability to use visual cues (sight) to guide the child's movements. This refers to both gross motor and fine motor tasks. Often children with difficulty in this area have a tough time orienting themselves in space, especially in relation to other people and objects. These are the children who are often called "clumsy" because they bump into things, place things on the edges of tables or counters where they fall off, "miss" their seats when they sit down, etc. This can interfere with virtually all areas of the child's life: social, academic, athletic, pragmatic. Difficulty with fine motor integration effects a child's writing, organization on paper, and ability to transition between a worksheet or keyboard and other necessary information which is in a book, on a number line, graph, chart, or computer screen.

Interventions

First, a few words about interventions in general. Interventions need to be aimed at the specific needs of the child. No two children share the same set of strengths or areas of weaknesses. An effective intervention is one that utilizes a child's strengths in order to build on the specific areas in need of development. As such, interventions need to be viewed as a dynamic and ever changing process. Although this may sound overwhelming initially, it is important to remember that the process of finding successful interventions becomes easier with time and as the child's learning approach, style, and abilities become more easily seen. The following examples provide some ideas regarding a specific disability. It is only a beginning which is meant to encourage further thinking and development of specific interventions and intervention strategies.

The following represent a number of common interventions and accommodations used with children in their regular classroom:

* For readings

Enlarged print for books, papers, worksheets or other materials which the child is expected to use can often make tasks much more manageable. Some books and other materials are commercially available; other materials will need to be enlarged using a photocopier or computer, when possible.

There are a number of ways to help a child keep focused and not become overwhelmed when using painted information. For many children, a "window" made from cutting a rectangle in an index card helps keep the relevant numbers, words, sentences, etc. in clear focus while blocking out much of the peripheral material which can become distracting. As the child's tracking improves, the prompt can be reduced. For example, after a period of time, one might replace the "window" with a ruler or other straightedge, thus increasing the task demands while still providing additional structure. This can then be reduced to, perhaps, having the child point to the word s/he is reading with only a finger.

* For writing

Adding more structure to the paper a child is using can often help him/her use the paper more effectively. This can be done in a number of ways. For example, lines can be made darker and more distinct. Paper with raised lines to provide kinesthetic feedback is available. Worksheets can be simplified in their structure and the amount of material which is contained per worksheet can be controlled. Using paper which is divided into large and distinct sections can often help with math problems.

* Teaching Style

Being aware and monitoring progress of the child's skills and abilities will help dictate what accommodations in classroom structure and/or materials are appropriate and feasible. In addition, the teacher can help by ensuring the child is never relying solely on an area of weakness, unless that is the specific purpose of the activity. For example, if the teacher is referring to writing on a chalkboard or chart paper, s/he can read aloud what is being read or written, providing an additional means for obtaining the information.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am taking it all in!:grouphug:

Thanks for the suggestions Dorinda. I was so sure that it was all Emily's attitude until I tested her (thanks to the ladies on this thread). Have you tested your daughter for LDs? After I tested her I read the section on accommodations for Visual Perception Disorder. When Emily gives me the most attitude is when I try to take those accommodations away. And she does seem to do pretty well at times, making me doubt that there is a legitimate problem. I am not sure why.

I haven't officially tested her, but DH and I have saved this thread to read over the summer. :D I think I made the mistake of assuming her dysgraphia was limited to writing. I've been reading articles about dysgraphia and why/how it affects math. It explains a lot since fractions set off her "attitude" like she was 5 again. I know what you're saying, it's so hard to know when it's them or the LD. Especially since mine tries to "play" me in other situations. :glare: After the other thread we were on (can't remember which one now, we're on so many:lol:) I started investigating the dysgraphia link again, and I'm pretty sure that's what we're dealing with. I think I'll pick up a copy of that book and look at it over the summer. In the meantime, she's really excited about Saxon (helped the 'tued immensely), and she WANTS to stay home next year. That makes me pretty happy:001_smile:

Keep me posted! I'll let you know what we find out!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Keep me posted! I'll let you know what we find out!
Okay, I will try to remember to add to this thread. I am currently formulating a plan. It is hard to know how much to do all at once. Someone on another forum is talking to me about vision therapy. If you see some of my past posts (yeahh right, you can keep up with that) you will see that I actually took some time to work on just her weak areas (handwriting and math DUH) and we had to do lots of different things for her to remember how to write her numbers. That is a major red flag. I feel so dumb for not catching this sooner. But, yeah, she has major attitude issues with so many things that it is hard to know. Actually, though, most of our clashes are over things that she seems to just not be capable of (sleeping by herself, cleaning up her room, leaving us alone, she has a lot of anxiety).

Okay, I will try to remember to add to this thread. I am currently formulating a plan. It is hard to know how much to do all at once. Someone on another forum is talking to me about vision therapy. If you see some of my past posts (yeahh right, you can keep up with that) you will see that I actually took some time to work on just her weak areas (handwriting and math DUH) and we had to do lots of different things for her to remember how to write her numbers. That is a major red flag. I feel so dumb for not catching this sooner. But, yeah, she has major attitude issues with so many things that it is hard to know. Actually, though, most of our clashes are over things that she seems to just not be capable of (sleeping by herself, cleaning up her room, leaving us alone, she has a lot of anxiety).

:grouphug:

Don't feel dumb. DH really encouraged me this month by pointing out the PS would NOT have caught ANY of this either. He reminded me that dd would have been classified as "special needs" in the beginning, and put in a special ed class. Those truths make me realize we're doing the best we can, and it's better than ANY PS would do.

Blessings!

Dorinda

PS remind me of that the next time I lose faith and put her on a Charter School waiting list.:lol: