Menu

Non-PC question and one more ? too (spelling bee)

Were they from US territories? Maybe from American schools overseas (these are geared to expats, but sometimes kids of other nationalities attend)?

I don't think there's a world bee, but I know there are competitions in dictation in French. I'd guess there are competitions in other languages too.

I found this on the website:

We are the nation's largest and longest-running educational promotion, administered on a not-for-profit basis by the E.W. Scripps Company and local spelling bee sponsors in the United States, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Department of Defense Schools in Europe; also, the Bahamas, Canada, China, Ghana, Jamaica, New Zealand, and South Korea.

Seems a little random...

Julianna, the reason I asked was because in the top 10, there was one student from Canada and another from Puerto Rico. Even if you could argue the one from P.R., Canada is a whole 'nother situation. It just didn't/doesn't make sense to me.

I'm kinda surprised on how the top 6 worked out. I'd rather see a little bit of a battle. Of course, I missed almost all of those words myself so who am I to talk at all!

I don't think there's any argument about Puerto Rico at all; Puerto Ricans are US citizens. As to the other countries they allow; I imagine the name "National Spelling Bee" predates the inclusion of other countries and they didn't want to change it and lose the name recognition. Kind of like how the Montreal Expos used to be part of the National League in baseball.

I don't think there's any argument about Puerto Rico at all; Puerto Ricans are US citizens. As to the other countries they allow; I imagine the name "National Spelling Bee" predates the inclusion of other countries and they didn't want to change it and lose the name recognition. Kind of like how the Montreal Expos used to be part of the National League in baseball.

:iagree: And how the "World Series of Baseball" really isn't worldwide...

I don't think there's any argument about Puerto Rico at all; Puerto Ricans are US citizens.

Yup. It's frightening how many people don't have a clue about the US territories, and that the people who live there are American citizens. One of my best friends going through basic training was from Puerto Rico, and she got really, really sick of explaining to people that she wasn't from a foreign country.

Yup. It's frightening how many people don't have a clue about the US territories, and that the people who live there are American citizens. One of my best friends going through basic training was from Puerto Rico, and she got really, really sick of explaining to people that she wasn't from a foreign country.

:iagree: We lived for a while in Guam and everyone back home thought we were in a foreign country. Um... hell-O?? US Air Force Base and everyone living there are US citizens. :glare:

Think of it more like the biggest American English spelling Bee.

Precisely. As a former K-8 schoolteacher, I know for a fact how HARD it is to get students to participate in the annual school spelling bee. It takes year-long study habits, a tutor, intensive drills, and a love of language. Most students could care less. We'd have more homeschoolers than ps students competiting at the county level in my ol' neck of the woods. I think the sponsors of the Scripps National Spelling Bee welcome all contestants from everywhere -- otherwise, the final rounds would be less than stellar. I read the round on ESPN had 13 kids fall to 9 kids in minutes and producers were scrambling... they cut the program. Those left were to be shown on ABC nighttime for the finals. It is brutal.

Julianna, the reason I asked was because in the top 10, there was one student from Canada and another from Puerto Rico. Even if you could argue the one from P.R., Canada is a whole 'nother situation. It just didn't/doesn't make sense to me.

QUOTE]

Well, we do have US citizens working in other countries (military, embassies)and many of them may have kids who are of age to compete in the Bee. Dh almost took a job as an exchange officer in Canada while on active duty in the Air Force.

Makes sense to me. :001_smile:

Cinder

Edited by Cinder
Ack! My quote thingee didn't work out this time

When my sister was stationed in Puerto Rico, I was always confused why the flights to there departed from the international terminal.

So are people from territories really US citizens, with all the same rights as those born in the States? And when did it become that way?

I'm genuinely curious because I thought that those in territories, while belonging to the US, still had different rights and rules. And because my ancestors were immigrants to Hawaii back in its monarchy days and then its territory days. I know my grandmother told me when they filled out 'race' for school forms, they had to put country of the family's origin, not just white (and that side of the family is all European). I'd wondered lately if those born pre-statehood were considered born citizens or naturalized citizens, or what. And whether they were qualified to run for President, things like that. Didn't there used to be a rule that US citizens born elsewhere couldn't run for president? (I recall that being discussed in Jean Fritz's book 'Homesick'.)

Would love any info to resolve this curious confusion on my part! I would be highly amused to find out I was a first-generation American on that side of the family.

in the top 10, there was one student from Canada

:party:

My son competed in our local spelling bee last year, and came in 7th place. Had he won, he would have gone to the bee in Ottawa and then DC. He's going to sign up for next year's local bee (homeschoolers can just sign up here and not go through a preliminary competition).

As to your original question, I don't know. I did read something on the Canadian spelling bee site about it being recently combined, but can't remember why.