Menu

What do you use for 2nd grade spelling?

Brigitte

We are pushing our way through Spelling Workout A. My girls are way ahead of that in terms of reading level, but they detest Spelling Workout. It is a real chore to get them to do those sheets.

Part of my thinks that if I can improve their writing skills (ie. able to write more easily, fluidly) they won't mind SWO so much, but another part of me agrees that it just isn't very interesting or fun.

Any suggestions for an alternative or does SWO get better in the later books?

TIA!

We'll start Simply Spelling by Laurie Hicks after dd7 has finished Book 8 of Explode the Code. Dropping SWO has been one of the best decisions I've made for her.

Jessica, do you think Simply Spelling would work for a challenged-speller? We've always done SWO, and I'm honestly tired of the monotony of it. The dc don't care much for it either, but it works as far as learning to spell. We are just looking for a few changes for the next school year with hopes of giving us a "fresh annointing" in school! Ds 9 is definitely not a natural speller so I'd like something that would work for him. I'd also like to have ds9 and dd7 work together in spelling b/c she is very gifted in that area. What do ya think?

I really like the R&S Spelling program. My boys are natural spellers, so the words are not necessarily challenging, but I like the continued review of phonics, building words, and dictionary skills that the series provides. In 7th & 8th grade the program moves toward more of a vocubulary focus by including Latin & Greek roots.

We'll start Simply Spelling by Laurie Hicks after dd7 has finished Book 8 of Explode the Code. Dropping SWO has been one of the best decisions I've made for her.

Jessica, Did you pick up with Explode the Code 1 or somewhere further along?

Thanks!

I'm watching this post with interest, because I am tired of SWO. My 7yo is in B, and can spell 9 out of 10 of the words before we do the lesson.

It just seems like a bunch of busywork.

So, it sounds like Spell to Write and Read, Rod & Staff, and Explode the Code are things to check out??

Any others out there???

Stephanie,

I can't determine that for your kids, only you can. I do believe in the concept of Simply Spelling which is studied dictation. You could try that with your kids and see if it works. Choose a selection for copywork for 4 days, although Simply Spelling gives you something to focus on each day to teach don't worry about it for this. Have your dc copy the selection each day and then on the 5th day- dictate it to them. I would go one step further and wait a week and ask them to write a sentence using some of the words from the previous dictation. I would try to make it not seem connected to the previous week's work in spelling. See if it works for your kids.

I would make the selection 1 sentence for this "test" and based on your dc's ages. I already know this will work for my dd7, the writing of the selection helps her retain it.

Brigitte,

We used OPG and then stopped phonics work to just read. Dd was getting frustrated and I decided to drop SWO and just focus on phonics and reading for a while. I started her in Book 5 because she was already in SWO C when we stopped using SWO. I looked at the table of contents of each ETC book to determine where to start based on what we have already covered. I cannot say whether ETC would work for every child, but dropping formal grammar and spelling to focus on phonics and reading fluently dramatically made a change here.

and the kids have enjoyed it. It's fun for them, colorful, and easy to do. I'm considering using SpellWell for the first time this fall, since it is part of WinterPromise's Language Arts curriculum, and we'll be using their American Story history.

Blessings,

Lisa

We use Spell to Write and Read but my dd was stressing over spelling and such so we have not been doing "spelling." Instead we have be working on phonograms and spelling rules this year. Basically, we focus on two phonograms each week.

I made up silly sentences and pictures to reinforce the sounds of the phonograms. And then we make a chart where we find words that make that sound.

Next year in 3rd grade we will start working through the SWR spelling lists but we will only do 1 per week and I have made charts and worksheets based on the enrichment activities to go with each list so that we can really dive in and study the words.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

I am also considering Spellwell. It was created by the author of Explode the Code. I dropped spelling this year for my first grader to focus on his reading skills. Spellwell goes from second grade to fifth grade. It is very phonically based, but it teaches a few site words with each lesson. The lists are short, but they suggest more difficult words that you can replace or add if the list is too easy for your child. Also, you can add classroom words (misspelled words; content words from other subjects, etc) if your child need more challenge. What I really like is that there is only 30 lessons a year so I can spend the rest of the year doing dictation or studying common words to improve his spelling without overloading him.

Jill

I have found that until phonics is strong, there is no point in doing a spelling "program". We start doing tests (very low key) when they get to ETC 3, using words from the lesson they are on. Then add a spelling program when they get the phonics down, for us when they got to book 7 or 8. We used Spelling Workout this year, but will go to MegaWords for the oldest next year, not sure for my 4th grader.

We switched to All About Spelling from SWO B. DD just was not retaining much and was having problems hearing the sounds. After just 4 weeks in Level 1, she's already made improvements there. I'm very impressed and plan to continue with it.

http://www.all-about-spelling.com/

I agree!

I switched from SWO A to All About Spelling this year and am so glad I did! Although my ds hates using the letter tiles, the program is working well for him. I'm even learning! The rules are "spelled" out for you...lol...and it is a great program for hands on and visual learners. We will be starting level 2 real soon.

Stephanie,

I can't determine that for your kids, only you can. I do believe in the concept of Simply Spelling which is studied dictation. You could try that with your kids and see if it works. Choose a selection for copywork for 4 days, although Simply Spelling gives you something to focus on each day to teach don't worry about it for this. Have your dc copy the selection each day and then on the 5th day- dictate it to them. I would go one step further and wait a week and ask them to write a sentence using some of the words from the previous dictation. I would try to make it not seem connected to the previous week's work in spelling. See if it works for your kids.

I would make the selection 1 sentence for this "test" and based on your dc's ages. I already know this will work for my dd7, the writing of the selection helps her retain it.

Jessica, thanks for your response. I didn't realize that it was studied dictation. I had trouble finding it online, but I just found it. We do Spelling Wisdom for studied dictation now, but I wanted a little more spelling for my dc. They all were weak in those areas when I tested them last year with the CAT so I was just trying to strengthen that area. Thanks again for your input.

My girls don't have trouble with spelling. They just dislike SWO. It is too boring and every lesson is basically the same, according to them. If the reading level tests that someone posted on the General board are accurate, my girls are reading on the 3rd and 4th grade level. (Thank you OPG and Usborne dual level readers!)

So, we are looking for something that will be more fun, even if it is just some color on the workbook page and varied exercises.