Menu

Start at CC and then transfer to Uni.

Hunter's Moon

Coming over from the High School forum to ask a few questions- though I suppose this board is still in the High School forum section :)

Anyways, I was wondering how many graduates have done this and why.

Is enrolling in CC for a year or two and then transferring to a university wise, or just time consuming and a waste of cash?

I am only going to be in 11th right now, but trying to plan.

Thank you :)

I am not too sure about the CC's around here.

Dual enrollment is not an option for me, so I figured if I started out with CC after I graduate, it would be easier for me to get into "better" universities. Of course, I will apply for the universities, but if I don't get in maybe they would accept me after CC?

I just have this feeling that because I cannot do dual enrollment, my chances of getting into colleges are zip. But then I think, since I did PS for 9th and 10th grade, maybe they will look at those as an outside course. They won't be dual enrollment but I know that a lot of universities recommend dual enrollment to homeschoolers so that the colleges can have an outside reference to refer to.

I am getting recommendations from 3 public school teachers though to stockpile for college, so hopefully that'll be enough.

If you do decide to do CC for a few years before transferring to a 4 year univ. make sure and check that all the courses will transfer. Otherwise, you may spend a bunch of money taking stuff and then end up having to take it all again once you get to the actual univ. Check with both groups if you decide to do this, the colleges you want to attend, and the CC's in the area that you are considering. Honestly, it'd probably be easier just to go straight into a 4 year univ.

I don't know what you mean by "better" universities-better is relative to what major you are looking at. If you start researching colleges now by looking at which ones have majors you like, you should be able to tailor your course selection in high school based on what they want to see on transcripts of incoming freshman. It should be listed on the website somewhere, if you can't find it or if it is confusing, you can always email/call them and ask.

Check with the colleges you want to get into first. The admisssions counselors are more than happy to talk to you.

There were many who will not take "transfer" credits from cc.

But, if you check w/State Universities, some have a deal where you get your AA at CC than transfer to them and get full ride, or most of a full ride.

Ca and Va has this.

My dd did dual enroll, it did look nice , but not necessary, I think big importance is ACT or Sat scores, although some schools will take low/no scores.

You need to focus your academics to what college you want to get into.

Depending on your financial situation, you *may* be able to do dual enrollment courses, if you so desire, by taking classes from some of the online high schools affiliated with major universities. For example, my kiddos may end up taking some dual enrollment courses from IUHS (Indiana University High School). These courses count as Indiana University classes and work within the core transfer program for the state of Indiana. This is nice for us, since we live a county away from IU Bloomington, and as I am a disabled veteran with wartime service my kids should get free tuition at state universities here. Just a little food for though :)

Depending on your financial situation, you *may* be able to do dual enrollment courses, if you so desire, by taking classes from some of the online high schools affiliated with major universities. For example, my kiddos may end up taking some dual enrollment courses from IUHS (Indiana University High School). These courses count as Indiana University classes and work within the core transfer program for the state of Indiana. This is nice for us, since we live a county away from IU Bloomington, and as I am a disabled veteran with wartime service my kids should get free tuition at state universities here. Just a little food for though :)

My father is a veteran (he did reconnaissance after Vietnam) and is considered disabled because of post traumatic war syndrome (I don't know if colleges consider that a disability), and I never knew this. I will definitely be looking into this.

Also, we do have a CC here that offers dual enrollment to Seniors for a one semester course, and only the price of textbooks is the student's responsibility. I heard it was a joke though. The college is generally a 2 year college, and they're aren't really highly respected either. I don't know if this matters to Universities or not though.

If you're talking about going to CC after hs, then transferring your scholarship opportunities may decrease. At the colleges we looked at, merit aid was availabel for good ACT/SAT scores and the like, but there weren't nearly as many transfer scholarships.

This would only apply if you have an ACT/SAT score high enought to get substantial merit scholarship money, otherwise CC may be cheaper if guaranteed to transfer.

My father is a veteran (he did reconnaissance after Vietnam) and is considered disabled because of post traumatic war syndrome (I don't know if colleges consider that a disability), and I never knew this. I will definitely be looking into this.

Not every state sponsors a program like this. I/my kids are eligible because I was an Indiana resident for at least 3 years of military service (actually, all 12 of them, lol) and I expect they will go to Indiana schools. But, definitely check out programs your state might sponsor for children of veterans. Also see if the VA has anything, I'm post-Vietnam so I'm not all the familiar with what they offer for kids of Vietnam vets.

Is enrolling in CC for a year or two and then transferring to a university wise, or just time consuming and a waste of cash?

I am only going to be in 11th right now, but trying to plan.

Thank you :)

Tiger,

I think your question is a tricky one to answer because it depends upon a lot of things. You mentioned that the one dual enrollment course at your local cc was a joke. Do they offer a whole other slate of courses and AA degrees in various areas? Do they offer guaranteed admittance to specific state colleges & universities if you get an AA degree from them? I think it would be worth your time this summer to go to this CC and speak with a counselor there about their programs and what opportunities they have. You could also ask them about dual enrollment and what courses you can take. They may have one "approved" course that they let kids enrolled in public school take, but if you take their placement test and score well, maybe they will let you take other courses? I think you really need more information directly from them.

I would also not assume that you will have difficulty getting into colleges if you do not take dual enrollment courses. Colleges like to see these from homeschoolers because many have not ever been in a traditional classroom, and the colleges like to have evidence that the student can succeed in a classroom. Provided that your grades at your ps for 9th & 10th grade are good, you have the evidence that you can succeed in a classroom. Getting the recommendation letters from your current teachers is a very wise idea, too. I'd suggest keeping in touch with them the next 2 years and let them know how you're doing in case you need more recommendations later.

From reading your other posts, I take it that you want to homeschool to broaden your opportunities and allow you to better direct your own education. I think that is admirable, and I think colleges will see that, too. Provided that your SAT and/or ACT scores are strong, I think you'll have a great chance to be admitted to many colleges. (And make sure that you sign-up for the PSAT at your current school that is offered in October 2010. The junior year test is the one that "counts" towards the National Merit Scholarship competition if you score high enough. Even if you don't think you'll score super high, it's a great practice for what the SAT will be like later. The PSAT is only offered once/year in October and you have to take it at a traditional school, but you don't have to be enrolled at the school to take it there).

The other thing you need to consider about your college path is the finances. The cheapest option for most folks is to do 2 years at a local CC and then transfer to a state college or university for 2 more years while living at home. This would be the cheapest option if you don't qualify for much financial aid. However, if your family is low income and your scores & grades are high, you might be able to get a nice scholarship/aid package from a more expensive college that would cost about the same as the CC/state college route.

There are so many variables in the whole college application/financing arena. Take a look at a recent thread here on the college board of TWTM where we discussed the costs of private vs. public colleges.

My advice would be to investigate your local CC to learn about the options that might be available there, focus on doing well at home in 11th & 12th grades, and prepare to do as well as you can on the SAT or ACT. Once you've gotten your PSAT scores back in December, then you can start to think about which colleges would be a good fit and what options make sense regarding the finances.

Also -- definitely investigate the possible options regarding your dad's veteran status. I know nothing about this myself, but perhaps others here can direct you who to talk to or perhaps the people at the local CC will have experience with that.

Best wishes,

Brenda

If you're talking about going to CC after hs, then transferring your scholarship opportunities may decrease. At the colleges we looked at, merit aid was available for good ACT/SAT scores and the like, but there weren't nearly as many transfer scholarships.

This would only apply if you have an ACT/SAT score high enough to get substantial merit scholarship money, otherwise CC may be cheaper if guaranteed to transfer.

Yup - our local CC does "play nice" with our state colleges system, so classes there can and will be accepted - BUT 1. our cc almost lost accreditation* 2. it is so crowded now that getting in and out of cc is two years may be impossible and 3. our state schools do not have the aid to offer to match the LACs....or the aid in the first place for the transfer kids vs. the high-scoring freshmen. For our first college kid, going off in a few short months, the merit awards at a LAC make attending a four-year school there a better option... for him.

The next kid in line to go in a couple years is NOT the hard-working scholar her big brother was, (just as bright, perhaps too bright - she does not need to study to get by) so she may well be at the CC first. Nothing WRONG with that (if one can not win the top merit awards elsewhere) - it is what I did back in the day! And I ended up with a full tuition ride for a PhD program at Northwestern!

It will all depend on those pesky test scores, GPA and difficulty of classes (AP, etc.) and what merit aid a kid can score. Also - do they WANT to go off as a freshman, or stay at home? And what is their major - if my dd decided to be a Physical Therapist, she may be able to do that with attending the cc.

* our library was so small and out of date - happily, despite the economy, the CC has been able to break ground on both a new library and a new classroom structure.

PS - what is this dual enrollment of which you folks speak (type)? Our school district/CC will not let a high school kid take CC classes. The Cc will give college credit for a few high school classes like keyboarding and basic business courses - that is all. Sigh.

Here's what I'd consider first. You are finishing up your soph. year, right?

Job one, this summer, is to study your kiester off for the PSAT. There are a variety of PSAT study resources available out there, but one that was recommended by someone we respect is the Barron's PSAT prep book. You can order previously released PSAT tests and their answer keys directly from the College Board to use to simulate real timed tests after you've used all the mock tests in the Barron's materials.

Do everything you can to crank up the PSAT score, if you are anywhere near reaching the NMSQT Finalist level, because there is huge scholarship money tied to the PSAT. If my dd had been anywhere near close, she could have gone free ride to her favorite nationally known Christian LAC, but she wasn't within stretching range at that point in her high school career.

If you aren't within range, study and practice well, but do it more as preparation toward eventually knocking the SAT out of the park. Take the PLAN (junior year pre-ACT) as well if you can find someone that will let you take it at their school. That will give you an idea how well you can expect to do on the two tests in relation to one another. If you truly are reaching for the Ivies, you've got to hit the high stakes tests out of the park; don't know about the relative importance of the PSAT vs. SAT though.

Secondly, find out from each college what they need to see from you to be competitive re. languages. Only the colleges can tell you definitively. Also ask about their percentage admitted of first time students and of transfer students. That will let you know whether tranferring is even an option.

You should know that most colleges offer far less plain old merit aid to transfer students than they do to incoming freshmen. The savings of only doing two years at the 4 year school may offset that enough to make it worthwhile, but you'll have to be careful figuring the math; make sure whatever you choose optimizes the bang for your buck.

Finally, if dual credit is not a great local option for you, what about early enrollment in online university credit or enrolling in online AP courses. You might be able to find a distance learning program that will allow you to have the challenging coursework which will "validate" your prowess as a scholar. You might even be able to find languages online. :) Depends on whether you can scrape together enough moolah--we were able to do much more with dd than we will be able to do for ds, but ds isn't the scholar...so it's all going to come out in the wash.

Best wishes!!

Here's what I'd consider first. You are finishing up your soph. year, right?

Job one, this summer, is to study your kiester off for the PSAT. There are a variety of PSAT study resources available out there, but one that was recommended by someone we respect is the Barron's PSAT prep book. You can order previously released PSAT tests and their answer keys directly from the College Board to use to simulate real timed tests after you've used all the mock tests in the Barron's materials.

Do everything you can to crank up the PSAT score, if you are anywhere near reaching the NMSQT Finalist level, because there is huge scholarship money tied to the PSAT. If my dd had been anywhere near close, she could have gone free ride to her favorite nationally known Christian LAC, but she wasn't within stretching range at that point in her high school career.

If you aren't within range, study and practice well, but do it more as preparation toward eventually knocking the SAT out of the park. Take the PLAN (junior year pre-ACT) as well if you can find someone that will let you take it at their school. That will give you an idea how well you can expect to do on the two tests in relation to one another. If you truly are reaching for the Ivies, you've got to hit the high stakes tests out of the park; don't know about the relative importance of the PSAT vs. SAT though.

Secondly, find out from each college what they need to see from you to be competitive re. languages. Only the colleges can tell you definitively. Also ask about their percentage admitted of first time students and of transfer students. That will let you know whether tranferring is even an option.

You should know that most colleges offer far less plain old merit aid to transfer students than they do to incoming freshmen. The savings of only doing two years at the 4 year school may offset that enough to make it worthwhile, but you'll have to be careful figuring the math; make sure whatever you choose optimizes the bang for your buck.

Finally, if dual credit is not a great local option for you, what about early enrollment in online university credit or enrolling in online AP courses. You might be able to find a distance learning program that will allow you to have the challenging coursework which will "validate" your prowess as a scholar. You might even be able to find languages online. :) Depends on whether you can scrape together enough moolah--we were able to do much more with dd than we will be able to do for ds, but ds isn't the scholar...so it's all going to come out in the wash.

Best wishes!!

Where do I sign up for the PSAT?

I believe I missed the deadline at school.

Where do I sign up for the PSAT?

I believe I missed the deadline at school.

Don't confuse the PSAT with the SAT. The PSAT is the Preliminary SAT. It's given once/year in October. The SAT is given several times a year ranging from October to June. You register for the SAT on-line at collegeboard.com.

For the PSAT, you have to register at a high school. This year, the exam is given on either Wednesday, October 13th or Saturday, October 16th. I would be really surprised if your school has a deadline in the spring for the Fall 2010 exam.

Talk to the folks in the guidance department at your high school. In my town, the school signs up kids for the PSAT that is given in October about a month before the exam. Here, the PSAT costs $20. If for some reason your school is not administering the PSAT, then you will have to call around to other high schools in your area and see if you can find one that will let you take it there.

When you take the PSAT as a homeschooler, you use this code: 992299 (for residents of MA only), and the college board will send the results directly to your home sometime in December.

Brenda

If you are truly thinking Ivies, beware that Princeton doesn't allow transfer students in from anywhere. Every student entering there is a freshman (according to another thread I had read on here some time ago - not personal research).

Beyond that tidbit I've gleaned, few, if any, will allow cc courses to transfer. They like to see cc courses - or other college level courses - to know that students are capable of that level material, but they won't give you credit - esp in your major. There was a student from our high school that went to Main Campus Penn State and then transferred to Brown - Brown wouldn't count credits from Penn State toward his major. Penn State is considered a GOOD school. Ivies are just picky about giving credit for classes considering their name is going to be on the diploma.

If you want Ivy, be sure to be on College Confidential. There are tons of Ivy potential (and current/previous) students on there with advice.

IMO two years of cc after high school would be a waste of money (toward an Ivy education). Two years of some cc classes while in high school looks good for admissions - and perhaps some of the credit will transfer even if for electives.

Also, it's not just Ivies that won't count credit in ones major - many schools don't. Even my son's Christian College told us they wouldn't count credit in his major, but would consider it outside his major. They are giving him 3 English credits for his one cc English class.

To get the most credit for cc classes, one generally has to transfer to another state school.