Menu

MathUSee (MUS) wood box worth the $40?

mirth

the box --- It is and it isn't. I've got two. I'm glad I've got them, b/c well I've got them and we use them. They ain't fancy though. They are just plain wooden boxes with dividers with a piece of plexi (sp?)glass that slides into grooves on the side of the box. The convenience factor is that the colors stay all divided for ease when building math problems. The downfall is that the colors stay all divided in these heavy (not really, really heavy) wooden boxes with the breakable lids (I have a 3ds aka power ranger), so they stay put away unless specifically doing MUS. So, we never use them to build forts, castles, build extra math problems for fun, etc. I know a lot of other people "play" with their blocks which has lead to a greater understanding of math --- kwim? Anyway, I'm sure there are lots and lots of people out there who would beg to differ, but if I had to choose again I would take $10 to Walmart and pick me out a clear fancy lidded container. Then, I would take $30 to Amazon and get some of the stuff I have saved in my cart. I'm probably going to get another container anyway. The boxes take up a lot of room.

Hope that helps --- They may be the perfect thing for you. I'm sure lots of people love them. :001_smile: I'm (as my kids say) just medium on them.

Angela

the box --- It is and it isn't. I've got two. I'm glad I've got them, b/c well I've got them and we use them. They ain't fancy though. They are just plain wooden boxes with dividers with a piece of plexi (sp?)glass that slides into grooves on the side of the box. The convenience factor is that the colors stay all divided for ease when building math problems. The downfall is that the colors stay all divided in these heavy (not really, really heavy) wooden boxes with the breakable lids (I have a 3ds aka power ranger), so they stay put away unless specifically doing MUS. So, we never use them to build forts, castles, build extra math problems for fun, etc. I know a lot of other people "play" with their blocks which has lead to a greater understanding of math --- kwim? Anyway, I'm sure there are lots and lots of people out there who would beg to differ, but if I had to choose again I would take $10 to Walmart and pick me out a clear fancy lidded container. Then, I would take $30 to Amazon and get some of the stuff I have saved in my cart. I'm probably going to get another container anyway. The boxes take up a lot of room.

Hope that helps --- They may be the perfect thing for you. I'm sure lots of people love them. :001_smile: I'm (as my kids say) just medium on them.

Angela

I worried about this too. I love that my kids will pull them out and play with them, yes, mom is often one who has to go back and put them back in rows but it is actually something my children are now starting to do, so I think even that can benefit them.

Edited by melmichigan
make more sense

I worried about this too. I love that my kids will pull them out and play with them, yes, mom is still one who has to go back and put them back in rows but it is actually something my children are now doing, so I think even that can benefit them.

I think I've talked myself into one of those fancy $10 containers from Walmart --- now if I only had the other $30 for my Amazon. :glare:

Angela

I think part of the decision depends on what sort of person you are. I have a touch of OCD and like things orderly and organized. I looked at the boxes they come in but I cannot stand all of the colors being mixed up. To me the boxes make them easier to use because they are already sorted. I have two of the boxes with them all neatly organized and my four-year-old loves to sort them back into their proper slot.

I think part of the decision depends on what sort of person you are. I have a touch of OCD and like things orderly and organized. I looked at the boxes they come in but I cannot stand all of the colors being mixed up. To me the boxes make them easier to use because they are already sorted. I have two of the boxes with them all neatly organized and my four-year-old loves to sort them back into their proper slot.

I think you're absolutely right. It all comes down to personal preference.

Angela

I got an organizer from Walmart in the Fishing Tackle department! It's clear plastic, and I can customize the size of the compartments because it came with moveable dividers. It has 4 rows to put things in, and I divided them up to fit all of the blocks except the hundreds flats. I keep those, and this box in a sterilite container so it's all together. Plus the decimal inserts fit easily into the sterilite container too. I spent about $9 on the container I bought & already had a sterilite container to put it all in.

Merry :-)

:iagree: I have two, and I love them!