Menu

What is a great fictional book based in North Carolina?

Mommy7

I need it to go with a lapbook we are going to do next year. It is for 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 8th grades. So, somewhere in the middle would be nice. We are studying Explorers-1850 this year, just in case that helps.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Edited by Mommy7

Guest littlebat

North Carolinian novelist John Ehle has some wonderful books. The Journey of August King is set in 1805. The Land Breakers is about, well, it's about settlers as the title suggests. They are both wonderful and, while not written for children, I can't think of anything that would be inappropriate but maybe you should read through them first. He has many other novels but those are the two I can think of just now that I'd feel comfortable suggesting for read alouds. I think I'd check out August King first.

HTH

I know there's one about Edward Teach that fits right in your time period (he's Blackbeard). It's sold in all the Outer Banks gift shops! lol I'll see if I can find it on amazon.

I think it's this one--Taffy of Torpedo Junction.

I know there's also one about the Trail of Tears, which started in Murphy, I believe.

Edited by Chris in VA

Thank you all for the responses. Where the Lillies Bloom looks promising. August King does also, but like you said, I'll probably need to read it first.

Chris in Va, is the Trail of Tears book called Soft Rain?

Any other thoughts?

I know there's one about Edward Teach that fits right in your time period (he's Blackbeard). It's sold in all the Outer Banks gift shops! lol I'll see if I can find it on amazon.

I think it's this one--Taffy of Torpedo Junction.

I know there's also one about the Trail of Tears, which started in Murphy, I believe.

Taffy of Torpedo Junction is not about Blackbeard. It is set during WWII. I love this book. I remember my mom reading it to me in first or second grade. It is set in North Carolina on the Outer Banks.

Taffy of Torpedo Junction is not about Blackbeard. It is set during WWII. I love this book. I remember my mom reading it to me in first or second grade. It is set in North Carolina on the Outer Banks.

OH, you are right! I was thinking of a Blackbeard one, saw that on Amazon, remembered it also from all those Nag's Head gift shops, and figured it was the same one! :D

I'm not sure what the Blackbeard one is called, but Taffy came highly recommended, anyway.