Menu

What to do about geometry?

I have been unable to find a good geometry course that isn't too hard, but also isn't too easy. Teaching Textbooks geometry seems too easy, and Jacobs geometry isn't for the independent learner.

I need step by step instructions, but again isn't too easy or too hardand is also used more for the independent learner?

Any suggestions for this?:001_huh:

I'm starting to research geometry now. I've never used it, but have you looked at MUS? I went to a homeschool meeting today and one question came up about cdrom driven math programs for high school. Of course TT was mentioned, along with Chalkdust. But, I had not thought about MUS. Others mentioned were Videotext and Saxon with the new Saxon Teacher cdroms.

I guess my first response to your post regarding TT would be . . ."easy in what way?" If by easy you mean that the concepts are taught in such a way as to be easily understood by the student, then yes. Or if you mean that it is easy for the student to be independent, then, yes again. :)

My ds is just about finished with TT geometry and he said it has challenged him and he has learned quite a bit. My ds has always done very well in math but his career goals are more towards the liberal arts so I wanted a math program that he could do independently and still learn the necessary foundation. I believe TT has given us that.

JMHO,

TT is easy in the sense of not too challenging . I have their Algebra1 program, and it was too easy for a algebra course. Switched on Schoolhouse is good, but for math, it didn't explain enough or review much at all.

So I have to retake part of algebra 1 next year, and do geometry. Does TT teach geometry so that you will get high SAT scores? Or should I use Harold Jacobs instead?:lol:

This is our first year using TT so I can only comment on the geometry. As for SAT scores, I won't know how it will affect his scores until he takes the test next year. However, I have read on this forum of others who have used TT and done very well on SAT's. Maybe you could do a search.

You might also want to check out Chalkdust. It comes highly recommended by many on this forum. I decided on TT over Chalkdust mostly based on cost. :)

Call me whatever epithet one wills; however, I do not believe that geometry lends itself completely to self-instruction, save for the relatively rare student. We taught high school math to two sons thus far. Would not have considered leaving them to flounder on their own with some DVD or CD as the sole teacher. Geometry draws on different brain skills than does, say, algebra or trigonometry. (I do believe that those types of math can be learned on ones own.)

Call me whatever epithet one wills; however, I do not believe that mathematics lends itself completely to self-instruction, save for the relatively rare student. We taught high school math to two sons thus far. Would not have considered leaving them to flounder on their own with some DVD or CD as the sole teacher.

Boy do I agree with this! :grouphug:

And we even use Chalkdust - books and lectures. But it is done with lots discussion and interaction with me - I have watched many a lecture with my guys in order to facilitate proper pauses, working of problems, and further discussions.

Call me whatever epithet one wills; however, I do not believe that geometry lends itself completely to self-instruction, save for the relatively rare student. We taught high school math to two sons thus far. Would not have considered leaving them to flounder on their own with some DVD or CD as the sole teacher. Geometry draws on different brain skills than does, say, algebra or trigonometry. (I do believe that those types of math can be learned on ones own.)

I agree with you on this point. :)

We would get together to work through the proofs/problems but only after he had read the lesson, watched the DVD and made an attempt at the problem set. So in that sense, I call it independent because he was not depending on me for the sole instruction.

Thanks for all of the answers, they really helped! I was looking into chalkdust, but my mom didn't like the cost and she said the highest she would go is $185, that's why I was looking at TT.

What I meant by independent learning, is that it doesn't completely rely on the parent for everything! :001_smile:

I just wanted something that I was able to do mostly on my own, but be able to go to my mom if I needed help. But now that I have this info, I think I am ready to go!:auto:

Also, I have looked at examples of Chalkdust, and they seem way out of my league! I am strong in math, but am also weak in some areas, and unfortunatly, I won't be able to grasp what they are saying. But thanks for the input!

Edited by LuvingLife

For not too hard, but not too easy, I'd recommend Saxon Geometry. I'd be hesitant to recommend it otherwise as it is their first edition and isn't without its glitches as far as errors in the solution manual and all. I haven't used this course, but the one we used, McDougal Littell I wouldn't recommend if you don't want a challenging curriculum. It was a challenge both for the student and the teacher. :tongue_smilie: But in hindsight, we could have made it a lot easier by just doing the problems that schools assign. For example all the a's and about half of the b problems. We did all the a's, b's and some of the c's. HTH

• 10 months later...