Menu

Civics what would you use for a first grader?

hsmom

I am at a little bit of a lose here. It is required by state to cover civics. Yet I am not sure how to approach this one. Or maybe I have not had enough coffee today. I am not sure which one it is. So, I will as the hive. Any opinions?

When you say "civics" I'm assuming you mean government. Do you need a civics curriculum per se, or do you need to cover the topics of government? I ask this because we're doing SOTW1 right now and have covered the subjects of tyranny, rule of law (Hamurabbi), democracy (Greece), etc. We have talked about these things in depth as we've covered each chapter in the book, so I guess you could we've covered civics in 1st grade.

Not too sure on the whole what they want me to cover. It just has civics, on the list of subjects to cover in a progressive manner. So, I figure any type of instruction?

I did find a site that has traits of a good citizen and patriotic symbols and practices. Would that be enough? We would cover what it means to be a citizen and why certain things are important, then we would cover the flag, pledge of allegiance, an such. Then next year build off of those and add in a few others. Eventually building up a good understanding for when we hit high school and do an actual curriculum for Civics.

I would look at Abeka. I'm not a huge Abeka fan, but they do have a very interesting program Community Helpers. It covers everything from baker, police man, pastor, and postal worker. It is very gentle and easy to do. So, if you need a curriculum to be in compliance, this might work

I would look at Abeka. I'm not a huge Abeka fan, but they do have a very interesting program Community Helpers. It covers everything from baker, police man, pastor, and postal worker. It is very gentle and easy to do. So, if you need a curriculum to be in compliance, this might work

That's what we did this year - it's a simple reader-level book that covered all the basics.

1. Have another cup of coffee. You can always use another cup of coffee. :D

2. Look at A Beka. They are the epitome of "civics." First Grade would be Community Helpers and Our America Our World, 2nd grade would be Our America. Just read through them once or twice a week with your child and it's covered.

Blessings!

Dorinda