Menu

TOG or make my own curriculum?

ktgrok

This will be my first year homeschooling. My son will be 11, in the 5th grade. I'm looking at TOG and really liking what I see. However, the independent side of me wonders if I could/should just come up with my own books/lessons based on the same 4 year cycle. Thoughts from those that have done it on their own or with TOG?

I have not used TOG, but I have done some on my own. We started the year with BJU World history as a spine, but I realized that it was not chronological. She finished the year with the Kingfisher Encyclopedia as a spine. She read it, did a timeline of key dates, and did some outlining, but not every section. I added in some historical fiction for her from various lists I could find (WTM book, Ambleside Online, Sonlight catalog, etc.)

We're going with SL Core 100 next year. I found that I did not have as much time as I wanted to read all of her books, so we didn't get as much discussion in as I would have liked. SL will help me with that because it gives me answers to the discussion questions. I think TOG does as well.

I'm going into our 4th year homeschooling a 7th and 3rd graders. I have made my own plans every year. Next year I am using TOG my feeling is why reinvent the wheel? This will avoid many, many hours on the computer, hunting down books hoping they will make sense and always doubting myself. TOG will at least provide the outline and reading lists. I will use IEW for writing and Apologia for science. Hope this hels!

You could very easily do your own and, as previously mentioned, WTM has the guidelines and resource lists to follow.

TOG has gobs of teacher notes, discussion questions, worksheets, maps, writing, art/music assignments, etc., already thought out for you.

I agree with one poster's idea of trying your own thing for the first 1/2 of the year - or more - and assessing your experience afterwards.

TOG has gobs of teacher notes, discussion questions, worksheets, maps, writing, art/music assignments, etc., already thought out for you.

For me, this is the appeal of TOG. I couldn't even think of doing it the WTM way, because you cannot just expect a child to read a book and get out of it what they need to. I would have a hard time just figuring out what I was supposed to get out of the book, let along mentoring my child through that process.