Menu

Nurses: Need help with high school program

I would suggest a strong foundation in chemistry and anatomy and physiology. I would suggest psych classes, developmental and abnormal. They will probably be covered in college, but they're good to know really well. She'll be writing LOTS of papers, if you need to work on that any more. Regarding math - surprisingly little. I've discovered that pretty much everything can be figured using ratio and proportion.

She needs Algebra I&II and AP Biology. If you have the availability to get her into an AP Anatomy and Physiology class, that would be good. It would also be nice to AP test out of some of the core history/English courses if she can. I would strongly recommend getting her Associate's and working while pursuing either her BSN or MSN through an online/distance-learning RN-BSN/MSN program.

Regarding papers and writing, it's important to note that nursing papers are written in APA format.

I'll impart this bit of knowledge: Maslow, Erickson and Piaget. Maslow's hierarchy of needs, Erickson's developmental stages, Piaget's stages of development. Know them. Love them. And your ABCs. Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

Also critical thinking and logic. She needs to be able to come up with practical applications of knowledge. There are no knowledge-based questions in nursing school. They are all application of knowledge. What is the BEST course of action?

Edited by dansamy

Do either of you have any suggestions for actual curriculum or online learning? This is all really foreign to me. Thank you so much!

I'll preface by saying that I haven't researched this......I would start by looking at Apologia's Advanced Biology for anatomy and physiology. I'd also look at the community college for psych classes. A foreign language would be helpful as an RN. Maybe looking at what pre-requisites are required for the nursing school that she's looking at, and then seeing what she can take at a community college for college credit.

It's interesting to me about the previous poster suggesting an associates degree first. I was so thankful that I got my bachelor's instead. It only took one more year then the associates, and I only went to school once. Of course, a benefit of the associates first is that while working as an RN, your employer will usually pay for further education. So there are benefits to both.

One of the things I struggled with in A & P was the vocabulary. I strongly suggest that you find a Medical Terminology workbook for her to work through. It should be (mostly) self-teaching. It should go through the organ systems (this means it will be a "mini" A & P course). This will be a practical application of Latin & Greek roots. Also, if the workbook comes with flashcards - throw them away and have her make her own. Using bought flashcards is passive learning, making your own is active learning and much more useful.

As far as math, she will need enough math to get through the chemistry - at least algebra - rearranging equations. In addition, I would recommend statistics. The field of medicine is highly dependent on statistics - questions such as "What treatments are the most effective?", "What is the normal range for that blood test?" are answered by statistics. She may not have to "do" the statistical math as a nurse, but understanding how those questions are answered and how to evalutate research journal articles will give her an advantage.

Best wishes

This was the textbook used for my Psych 101 class. This was the book used for my A&P. I don't recall what text we used for Algebra, but it was "beginning" and "intermediate" in one book. Basically, they made me take high school level algebra 1 all over again. If I remembered enough to CLEP out of it, I would have. (It had been 7 years from my high school that I went to CC for my RN.)

Oh and my suggestion for ADN--->BSN/MSN is of course my opinion. YMMV. She may decide she'd just rather get it all done up front. There's nothing wrong with that route either. However, comparing ADN vs BSN, I find that straight out of nursing school, the BSN students' clinical skills are not as strong and they have a greater level of anxiety about performing basic nursing skills. This lag and lack of confidence doesn't take very long to overcome, but it is something that we routinely experience as a difference between ADN vs BSN on an actual hospital unit. This also may be a regional thing and not that noticeable of a difference in your area.

Edited by dansamy

I would be sure she gets a well rounded education now. She won't be studying art and lit in college so let her do it now. It would be helpful for her to a good science back round but I wouldn't worry too much. She'll do well if she's a good student and willing to work on areas that are more difficult for her. If you live near a college and she could take a chem class that would transfer she's be a step ahead.

Oh and my suggestion for ADN--->BSN/MSN is of course my opinion. YMMV. She may decide she'd just rather get it all done up front. There's nothing wrong with that route either. However, comparing ADN vs BSN, I find that straight out of nursing school, the BSN students' clinical skills are not as strong and they have a greater level of anxiety about performing basic nursing skills. This lag and lack of confidence doesn't take very long to overcome, but it is something that we routinely experience as a difference between ADN vs BSN on an actual hospital unit. This also may be a regional thing and not that noticeable of a difference in your area.

:iagree:

The BSN new grads do seem to lack clinical skills. The RN-BSN programs are usually less than a year in length and are available completely online. I would encoursge my child in that direction. In our area you can begin taking CC classes at the age of 14. I would use their program for A & P and developmental psych classes.

I hope I do not come across too strong, but medical terminology is something I am passionate about (I'm that sort of geek!!). I have an AAS in Medical Laboratory Technology, have worked in that field over 25 years, and have tutored health science students in A & P, microbiology, and chemistry. If your daughter is seriously considering nursing, at this point I would still recommend Medical Terminology over a Latin roots study. Of course, a Latin roots program would be an all-around helpful course. Since you have 2 years left for high school, could you do both? I strongly recommed Medical Terminology BEFORE taking A & P.

Here are a couple of books that might be helpful.

Exploring Medical Language: A Student-Directed Approach - I have not seen this actual text, but this is used by the local CC in their Medical Terminology course. This is the CC where I received my training and where I tutored. They have 1st rate programs.

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Medical-Language-Student-Directed-Approach/dp/0323049508/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274816633&sr=1-1

Medical Terminology For Dummies - This is a less expensive option. I have not seen this book either, but I have always been pleased with the Dummy books.

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Terminology-Dummies-Beverley-Henderson/dp/0470279656/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274815558&sr=1-5

:iagree:

The BSN new grads do seem to lack clinical skills. The RN-BSN programs are usually less than a year in length and are available completely online. I would encoursge my child in that direction. In our area you can begin taking CC classes at the age of 14. I would use their program for A & P and developmental psych classes.

Could you point me in the direction of a school that has this online? I would be so grateful!

Everyone has been so helpful. We will def. look into the medical terminology and the latin study.

Also, her whole education has been very heavy into history, literature, writing etc... so these areas she is very familiar with and is well rounded already.

Thanks everyone so much. Feel free to add more if you have any comments. :):)

I would suggest a strong foundation in chemistry and anatomy and physiology. I would suggest psych classes, developmental and abnormal. They will probably be covered in college, but they're good to know really well. She'll be writing LOTS of papers, if you need to work on that any more. Regarding math - surprisingly little. I've discovered that pretty much everything can be figured using ratio and proportion.

A strong foundation in math adds to logical thinking IMO. She doesn't need calculus, but to be facile with word problems is good for the nurse's brain.

She should volunteer somewhere. Also, take CPR. Dissect some critters from Home Science supplies. Get used to the idea of the mooky end of it.

Greek and Latin roots!

Chem and psychology and bio/pysiology.

Also, a job as a waitress. Don't laugh. It is the closest non-medical thing to working a ward: 20 people who all want something different, right now! Plus learning to get along with the grumpy cook and hung over dishwasher. Really, I'm not joking.

Learning to troubleshoot the fax machine will win friends and influence people.:D

I'll chime in here too, because I have a daughter who just completed her first year as a pre-nursing student.

In many schools now, admission to nursing school has become extremely competitive. That is definitely the case at my daughter's university. My daughter had a surprisingly rigorous year of pre-nursing classes.

We have actually talked about "what we would have done differently if we could" in regards to her high school years.

Things we did right:

• Taking both biology and anatomy/physiology in high school. My dd did both through the Potter's School.
  • Spending the summer before her freshman year as a volunteer at a hospital.
  • Having a strong English background (both writing and grammar).
  • Spending several years learning her Greek and Latin roots. We also did two years of basic Latin, but the root study was probably just as helpful.

Things we wish we had done differently:

• Taking a second year of advanced chemistry in high school. She just had two semesters of very rigorous college chemistry, including a semester of organic/biochemistry. We both wish we had put her into an AP Chemistry class to fully prepare her for college chemistry and give her a leg up.
  • Taking either AP Statistics or AP Psychology. It would have been nice to get ahead on either of these required classes.

HTH! :)

Also, a job as a waitress. Don't laugh. It is the closest non-medical thing to working a ward: 20 people who all want something different, right now! Plus learning to get along with the grumpy cook and hung over dishwasher. Really, I'm not joking.

Learning to troubleshoot the fax machine will win friends and influence people.:D

Yes! Yes, yes, yes! When I work post-partum, which I frequently volunteer there for the easy OT, we refer to ourselves as cocktail waitresses with narcotics. :tongue_smilie: Grumpy cook = grumpy secretary and hung over dishwasher = hung over CNA. And, yes. That's stereotypical, but it's VERY true. Certain personalities are drawn to certain positions. You'll see the same dynamic played out on multiple units across the hospital. And if you can't fix the fax/copier/pyxis scanner, at least develop the upper body strength to chuck it out the nearest window before calling the copier man.(Learning to troubleshoot the beds, dynamaps, TVs, A/C controls, lights, etc also helps. I frequently tell people I flunked my bed repair class.)