Menu

Martial arts help needed!

I would like my 9yo dd to have an ongoing physical activity -- something where she can develop her abilities and challenge herself.

I'm thinking martial arts. She knows what karate is, and is excited by the idea of taking karate classes.

But there are many other martial arts, and I know very little about them.

What are good martial arts for kids? And can you describe the aspects of specific types?

Karate and taekwondo seem to be the most popular. They both focus on kicking, punching, and blocks. They are similar; just from different countries.

Other arts like aikido and hapkido are grappling martial arts and focus more on submission holds, joint manipulation, and throws. For a child, I would stay away from these until the child is older. They can be more dangerous for growing bodies/joints. Some limited techniques from these may be taught in the above classes, though. My son's old taekwondo school taught self-defense using hapkido moves.

Judo is great for self-defense. You are taught the proper ways to fall, then various throwing techniques along with grappling techniques. After 13 you are taught chokes, and after 17 you are taught arm bars. The idea is that you learn to use other people's momentum against them to take them down and then force them to submit (either through a pin or through a choke/arm bar--older ages only). You are most likely not going to attack someone with Judo, but you can defend yourself. It's great for girls because it develops confidence and gives practice with skills that will help you defend yourself against an attack.

Tang Soo Do is a Korean style that is another kid-friendly one. The emphasis is on control and discipline. Self-defense and self-preservation moves are taught, but I've only seen sparring between the higher-level belts, and then it was optional. It may be a part of testing for black belt, but I've not attended so I'm not sure.

No matter what style you end up with, the clubs can all look different. The two clubs our family has been involved with were both very positive experiences, yet they are run differently. The non-profit club is good about reaching out into the community to teach and demonstrate, and is really family-oriented, complete with parties and picnics. The for-profit club is probably more disciplined and structured, as there are a high percentage of black belts in there. This club has an easier (quiet!) environment for some of us to learn in.

I took Tai Chi classes for awhile, and even though I was regularly participating in Tang Soo Do classes twice a week, it physically and mentally kicked my butt! It's another form that some kids might like, though.

You could go observe a club for a bit and see what you think! Kind of like curriculum - get it in your hands, flip through the pages, ask some questions. You'll find the right match!

DH and the kids took Karate together and only stopped because of a changes in the class schedule and location. Looking back, I would have first looked at class location and then looked at the different styles that were nearby. I didn't realize how much the travel time would impact our life.

Judo is great for self-defense. You are taught the proper ways to fall, then various throwing techniques along with grappling techniques. After 13 you are taught chokes, and after 17 you are taught arm bars. The idea is that you learn to use other people's momentum against them to take them down and then force them to submit (either through a pin or through a choke/arm bar--older ages only). You are most likely not going to attack someone with Judo, but you can defend yourself. It's great for girls because it develops confidence and gives practice with skills that will help you defend yourself against an attack.

:iagree:

Judo is great, it uses the other person's height and weight against them. A short female or child can use their shortness to advantage, if your center of gravity is lower than the other person's, it makes it easier to throw the opponent!

I did gymnastics for years before I did Judo, gymnastics helped my develop the balance and body awareness to do well in Judo after only doing it for a few years.