Menu

Sandisk vs ipod

I went to buy an ipod yesterday. But I came home with a Sandisk instead, because it was so much cheaper and came with an FM radio.

However, I was reading reviews of them on the web and there are lots of people complaining about the failure rate of these. Probably people are more likely to complain if it fails, so I'm wondering if anyone here has one of these that DIDN'T fail.

Anyone have an ipod that failed?

I still haven't opened the package yet, because I'm still trying to decide what to do.

We have both in our household. DH has 2 iPods (touch and the original) and I have the Shuffle). DD10 wanted one for Christmas and there was no way we were spending the $$ for a Nano, which is what she wanted. We went with the Sansa Clip and she loves it. She likes that it has a radio. She uses it all the time and it's held up nicely. We are very pleased. Oh, and by the way, when we were looking, we found so many good reviews on the Sansa Clip that that is why we went with it!

Thanks! I'm really thinking I will like the Sandisk better, as long as it holds up.

My kids each have an ipod touch (not that we bought them -- it was part of a promotional deal). So I imagine using the Sandisk will involve using a different program for getting things onto it.

Mostly, I want to listen to my language CDs and my CD player is dying.

We have three Sandisk Clips in our family. Have had them for several years and have had no problems. Personally, for listening to music, etc. I like them better than my Ipod Touch. The Sansa Clip is smaller and clips onto my waistband. You made a wise decision.

We bought my oldest dd an reconditioned ipod for Christmas three years ago. When it arrived, it didn't work. We sent it back and they promptly (as in 2 days later) sent us a replacement. We have had a total of six reconditioned ipods in our family over the last six years. Only had had a problem, and the problem was speedily resolved.

Everyone I know who has an ipod loves it. Many of the people I know who have had anything else have disliked them. Not everyone, but many.

When I was trying to decide on an ipod or a sandisk for above-mentioned dd, reading the reviews on sandisks were enough to scare me off.

Tara

My sister has had a Sandisk for years and loves it. (We happen to have 3 ipod shuffles as well that we enjoy). We purchased dd a Sandisk for Cmas because the shuffle is twice today what they were a few years back when we bought ours. What we like about the Sandisk - you can search for songs individually (rather than settle for what you get with the shuffle) and the FM tuner (great for the Y where you can tune to a TV there).

FWIW.

I have two Sansa Clips, and they're wonderful! The sound is great.

The voice recorder function is really very good. I can't believe the quality of the sound! I use it all the time for rehearsal purposes. It's a breeze to either email someone a file or burn it to a disc.

I bought my Sansas for about $15 from woot.com (no affiliation), and they just had them again a couple of weeks ago for $12.99. I'm pretty sure there will be a woot-off again in the very near future, so you could keep an eye on that if you want to get one for dirt cheap.

We have sansa clips from tigerdirect.com - got them when they were on super sale + free shipping & I couldn't be happier.

I think they'd have to fail >4 times before I'd be even starting to approach ipod prices. I was more worried about ds losing it than it breaking. So far, neither has happened. They're sturdy & hold a good long charge.

I personally have a beef with itunes & its drm protected content. Your songs bought in itunes may not automatically play in another player. There's a work around but do read it b/e if you have a lot of itune content already, this may be a deciding factor.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100325233640AApeWou

We have a Sandisk that you can add extra memory to, a tiny Sanza clip, and a Zune. The tiny Sanza clip is mine and it serves its purpose well. I like the fact that I can download books onto it and take it to the gym. It has been suprizingly durable. DH has the Sandisk and also likes it. He uses it more in the car, but is usually the roughest on electronics. DS has the Zune and enjoy the HUGE memory on it. He has books, a few songs, and a few videos. The Zune has had some bad reviews, but I haven't had any problems with it. We purchased them all about 3-4 years ago and they are still working perfectly fine. I personally think all of the MP3 players out there are about the same.

We have a Sandisk Sansa Clip (used to be DH's, but he gave it to the kids), a Sandisk Sansa Clip+ (my new player), and a Creative Zen V Plus (my first player). I don't have anything against iPods. I just don't want to spend that much money. :tongue_smilie:

I love that I don't need special software to get stuff onto Clips. The player connects via USB and appears as any drive would. You can drag and drop to add files.

I also love that I can add memory to the Clip+ with a micro SD card. That's the only reason I got a new player, because I was perfectly happy with my Creative Zen, except I ran out of memory. My 4GB Clip+ was $37, and I got an 8 GB microSD card for $17, so I've got a 12 GB player for under $55! It'll take a card as large as 16 GB, so I don't anticipate outgrowing this player for a very, very long time. ;)

I have a Sansa Clip that I love, and DH has an iPod that he loves. My main reasons for getting the Clip instead of an iPod were price (much as I love my Mac laptop, I just could not pay that much money for a media player!) and the fact that my library audiobook download program offers mostly books that are not iPod compatible. I've had my clip for over a year and haven't had any problems at all. My parents got the girls Clips for their birthdays and we haven't had any problems with those either. I think you made a good choice.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have kept the Sansa Clip instead of getting the ipod. So far it's been fine, except that it took me a bit of time to figure out how to get music onto it. If I'd got the ipod, the kids would have already known how. That's been the biggest drawback.

It really beats my CD player for sound quality and ease of use, though. And the price is so much lower than the ipod. Admittedly, it only has 4 GB, but I wasn't planning on using this for storage. I've got a computer for that.

My plan is to use it like crazy so if it's going to fail it will do it during the warranty period.