Menu

Favorite tropical paradise in either Caribbean or Mexico?

Dh and I are looking for a way to celebrate our 15 yr. wedding anniversary. We've never been anywhere tropical, but this is what we'd like. I think the furthest I could drag him is the Caribbean or Mexico for our first trip. We want a place that is romantic, where we can relax when we want, yet also have access to fun things to do that are outdoor oriented (hiking) or historical (Mayan ruins?). We're not sit-on-the-beach-all-day people, but we definitely want it available :).

What would you recommend?

Anguilla (Absolutely gorgeous beaches, BUT there might not be that much to do)

St. Maarten

Have you been to St. Maarten? We're booked on a cruise that goes there next year. A friend of mine went there in March and LOVED it!!!! Did you zip line there? She did and it wasn't your typical ziplining!! They had ropes where you climbed through the jungle through the trees. Her pictures were incredible!

Have you been to St. Maarten? We're booked on a cruise that goes there next year. A friend of mine went there in March and LOVED it!!!! Did you zip line there? She did and it wasn't your typical ziplining!! They had ropes where you climbed through the jungle through the trees. Her pictures were incredible!

Yes - twice -- on our honeymoon and then about 4 years later with dd11 who was 7 months old at the time.

You will love it - we loved it both times. We did not zipline -- we did sail on a America's Cup boat in a race with another America's Cup boat - WHAT FUN!

The Butterfly Farm was beautiful, (I'm sitting here trying to remember all the stuff we did) the shopping -- jewelry especially, was not to be missed.

The different beaches were all gorgeous and each different in its own way -- we took a ferry to Anguilla - which must have the most gorgeous beaches I have ever seen. We loved it so much on the short visit we took on our honeymoon, that we returned for a longer visit a few years later.

I must sound totally daft, but I am so exhausted right now, I cannot remember anything else we did -- I do remember though that we were never at our hotel and we were always out doing stuff and going from one thing to another.

You will love it -- it is just a wonderful place and not over-crowded --it is very very European - I think that is what we loved about it.

What about all that oil from the BP spill? Won't it effect the Caribbean as a whole? :tongue_smilie:

(ETA: I don't mean to hijack the thread! But my folks were thinking about an anniversary trip, and I assumed it would be off just because of the mess down there!)

Dh and I are looking for a way to celebrate our 15 yr. wedding anniversary. We've never been anywhere tropical, but this is what we'd like. I think the furthest I could drag him is the Caribbean or Mexico for our first trip. We want a place that is romantic, where we can relax when we want, yet also have access to fun things to do that are outdoor oriented (hiking) or historical (Mayan ruins?). We're not sit-on-the-beach-all-day people, but we definitely want it available :).

What would you recommend?

We've been to St. Thomas many times. The beaches are incredible, the water's warm and clear, and there's plenty "to do" there as well. There's a lot of "pirate history" there with ruins to visit!

PM me if you'd like information on where we've stayed.:)

Jennifer, we stopped in St. Maarten on our last Disney Cruise ;), and it was beautiful. There's a little store in the downtown area called "That Yoda Guy." It's the shop owned by the artist that drew/crafted Yoda, along with many other movie "characters." He was there in the shop, as he apparently often is, and was very interesting. He signed the things that we bought and answered our questions. He has a miniature museum of sorts displaying things from the Star Wars movies and others that he's worked on.

It's worth stopping in to take a look if you have any Star Wars fans in your group!

Would you consider Hawaii? Maui is amazing and I would go again in a heartbeat. Cancun (or very near there) was so - so for us; beautiful, fun, interesting (the ruins were remakable), but we all got sick just before we left :-(

When we go back to Hawaii, I think I would spend some time on the big island this time, for sure. And, since it's paradise in the US, you don't need a passport!

Anguilla (Absolutely gorgeous beaches, BUT there might not be that much to do)

St. Maarten

Another vote for Anguilla. . . Awesome snorkelling & beaches, and fantastic restaurants -- including, IME, the best in the world, Hibernia. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Mouth watering just remembering.

One of more mountainous islands might be up your alley -- St. Lucia (never been) or Nevis (very nice -- got married there!). . . Or St. John in the USVI?

Dh and I are beach purists (great snorkelling for a couple hours a day or a bit of a kayak tour is about all we need) so we haven't done the mountain/hiking stuff except in Hawaii. . .

Which, BTW, sounds perfect for you. Kauai was spectacular and sounds perfect for you. Bonus: it is actually in the U.S.!

Have fun!!!!!!!!

(Counting the days -- less than 30! -- until dh & I's 15th anniv trip to Great Guana Cay!! Wooohooo!!! Love the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!)