Menu

Do you debunk myths?

I just read the OP and there are a lot of replies so I probably will repeat something someone has said.

It depends.

LOL

Seriously, a friend told me that she had just looked up some "snope-able" I said and it was false. It wasn't anything important. But I liked knowing. And sometimes I do the same.

Other times, it's easier to just let it slide.

The only ones I worry about really are ones that DO matter in some way. Religion is obviously a big one. But for example, a friend of mine told me a common mistaken belief these days about what car to get a teenager. I didn't agree with it, but what do I know. Then a while later, the information was on this board. Our oldest children had recently gotten cars (and it turns out we both made poor choices). I had the hardest time deciding whether to tell her what I had learned.

Edited by 2J5M9K

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I thought the question was about an in-person encounter. I totally do what your dh does with the snopes reply. Amazingly enough, my inbox gets fewer and fewer of "those" e-mail forwards.

~M who loves snopes and refuses to believe it has its own bias

I do this too. One of my pet hates is urban legend type emails. I send snopes links but agree snopes has it's own bias :)

NO! Don't believe it! Is there no end to people's cruelty :crying:.Steve is a good boy. He went to college. And not the party type! A legitimate hard core study one! People are just trying to malign his good name!

Mmm Hmm. Went to college, alright.;) Everyone knows "went to college" is slang for went to jail. The producers of that show knew exactly what they were saying. Tell Steve to say Hi to OJ the next time they're in "class".

That however is only half of the story.

Yes, germs and visruses cause illnesses, but they are around a lot anyway.

How come one person gets the flu and the other doesn't?

Because the conditions in the sick preson were conducive to getting sick- that is where good health and good diet comes in since a body that is fed a healthy diet will have a healthier immune system that otherwise.

And also, their temperature. If you are out in a rainstorm or a chilly wind, your body is expending a lot of energy on keeping itself warm- and has a lot less energy available to direct towards the immune response. So getting a chill- physically cold- can very much be a realistic trigger for getting sick, if other factors are present such a viruses and bacteria, which they frequently are.

That "old wives tale" is one with its feet firmly planted in reality, I am afraid.

Germs and bacteria are only one factor in the whole health picture. The "ground" they thrive on must also be conducive to their proliferation, otherwise the immune system will just wipe them out.

I'm mainly speaking about when the temp is say 65F or maybe 55F and the kids are running around, creating their own warmth. The mother, who is generally sitting on a parkbench, will be cold and insist the children wear coats. For other people's children. For my children, I let them decide if they are cold or not.

Why would I try to debunk someones sacred tales? :D

False-hoods, those are worth de-bunking!

Bill (playing to stereotype ;) )

:lol:

What kind of myth are we talking about here? I actually had to ask the pediatrician so he could back me up about my dc not needing jackets to stay healthy because my dh believed that myth (taught to him by his mother and he's convinced to this day that getting cold makes him sick. He may be right for himself ;).) And Peela is correct, too, which is why I make my dc bring jackets along even when they don't think they need them in case they get cold later.

It depends on what kind of myth, the person and the context. I have a broader definition of myth than Bill, who did a delighful job of playing to stereotype here. I used to be a bull in a china closet, but I have learned to me much more diplomatic most of the time.

As for my dc, we discuss those things privately all the time, although my dd's usually roll their eyes now and tell me that they know.

. But for example, a friend of mine told me a common mistaken belief these days about what car to get a teenager. I didn't agree with it, but what do I know. Then a while later, the information was on this board. Our oldest children had recently gotten cars (and it turns out we both made poor choices). I had the hardest time deciding whether to tell her what I had learned.

We're not there yet, but could you say which cars are good and which are bad now that you know?

It was just this past week, wasn't it, Bill?

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!

Did you have cake and ice cream?:D

But wait... isn't that when we learned he was Steve?

a

So, what have I missed by rarely coming to the General Forum (since I really don't have time for it and today it means I'm procrastinating:))?????

Someone told me the original guy from Blue's Clues was fired from the show for being a druggie. I'm sure that's a................................myth.

It had better be, because that first guy is a lot like one of my brothers (but is NOT by brother.)

i'm thinking hard about this. it seems to me that this is THE slippery slope in american culture right now. we have reached a point where to not offend someone, we treat beliefs as all equally valid to one another, and belief and fact to be a continuum.

truly, i don't believe 2 + 2 = 4... it is a fact, not a belief. and if i believed it equalled 5, i would be wrong, and it would not be okay for someone to not point that out.... and it wouldn't be okay for me to say that lots of people agree with me, and that there is some disagreement on the subject. there may be, but that doesn't make both answers equally valid.

sam harris has some good things to say about this. he was a TED lecturer this year, and was very thought-provoking. he studied philosophy, religion and neuroscience. he did studies and discovered we use different parts of our brain for beliefs than we do for known realities.

there are multiple links, but here's one...

enjoy!

ann

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com
to finish a sentence.... sigh...

And also, their temperature. If you are out in a rainstorm or a chilly wind, your body is expending a lot of energy on keeping itself warm- and has a lot less energy available to direct towards the immune response. So getting a chill- physically cold- can very much be a realistic trigger for getting sick, if other factors are present such a viruses and bacteria, which they frequently are.

That "old wives tale" is one with its feet firmly planted in reality, I am afraid.

Germs and bacteria are only one factor in the whole health picture. The "ground" they thrive on must also be conducive to their proliferation, otherwise the immune system will just wipe them out.

:iagree:Eating a lot of sugar is just as bad as catching a chill.

i'm thinking hard about this. it seems to me that this is THE slippery slope in american culture right now. we have reached a point where to not offend someone, we treat beliefs as all equally valid to one another, and belief and fact to be a continuum.

:iagree: