Menu

Anyone use Queen Homeschool?

ssmeest

• 2 weeks later...

We started using some of their materials about a month ago and they've been a huge success with us. I'm planning to order more for next year. We starting ordering from Queens because DS9, LOATHED practicing his penmanship, but he's incredibly artistic so I thought Pictures in Cursive would be a good fit for him. He loves it and he actually enjoys penmanship now. We ended up purchasing some other items too and they've all been favorites with both kids. We bought one of their science books (Storybook of Science I think), and one of the history books also. They have reprinted many out of print, old books that are very good. I do want to add that the printing quality is not fantastic on some pages, and we periodically come across typos, which is a pet peeve of mine, but everything is so beautiful and appealing for the kids that I try to ignore the misprints. I'm toying with the idea of just going with one of their Easy Packs for next year but I'm not certain it would be enough. Then again, it would be simple to add to it, right? :D

I am considering using A Living History of Our World Vol. 1 next year. If I have the money I may order some of the science and other history books as well. I wish I could see some samples of the history books.

Jan

Edited by jg_puppy

I've used Language Lessons for 2 years now and will use it next year as well. My youngest has used Pictures in Cursive. My oldest used Copywork for Girls. I have several of their history readers and a couple bible studies.

Language Lessons is a very gentle approach to grammar. I really like it as a supplement to another program. But, it is a stand alone and can certainly be used that way.

Copywork for Girls is okay. Now that I have a better understanding of copywork, I can use my own sources here. But, at the time, I was new to the Charlotte Mason approach and wanted a guide.

Pictures in Cursive is gorgeous. We used it for picture studies as well as handwriting practice. Dd did not particularly enjoy practicing her handwriting, but it was short and effective. Her handwriting did improve.

The history readers are small but quite nice. I've used them in conjunction with whatever history program we are using. Civil War Stories is obviously about that time period. But, some of the other readers, like Log Cabin Days, cover a large time period.

Their elementary bible studies on the Proverbs and Psalm was excellent. We really enjoyed it. But, their studies for older children on Modesty and Purity did not fit with our beliefs and it was becoming a chore to edit it. We did not continue with it.

Learning How to Learn was also excellent. It taught a broad range of research skills that my dc have found invaluable.

I've looked at Words of the Week several times. I love the concept. I love the design and visual aspect of the program. I do not love the price. So far, I've not talked myself into purchasing these books. But, I'm still looking at it! :)

I've used Language Lessons for Little Ones Vol 1-3 with #4 and truly loved the books. I placed ds by his handwriting rather than his reading, so he didn't learn to read using the series. It's provided a wonderful review of phonics, handwriting practice, and a gentle introduction to language arts for the PrK - 1st grade years. I plan to use it again for my youngest. It's not what I wish to use long term so we're jumping ship here, but ds and I have enjoyed our years with Queen's.