Menu

Mom made comment about my son's lack of reading ability

She's a pain in the neck. Very out spoken. Very "me, me, me." She's not all sweet and light to say the least.

Her son has autism which would make me think that she'd have some empathy for learning issues.

So, this evening, her son passed out birthday invites. My son brought his to me and said, "will you read this?"

And she said, plenty loud, "oh, he doesn't read?!" (She's making a comment about homeschooling. She didn't/doesn't know that he's dealing with dyslexia. i don't know her that well. She's a neighbor.)

I ignored her and read it to my son and that was that.

She's a single mom, loving a boy w/ autism, just moved from out of state, horrendous relationship with the dad of the boys, never married -- I know she's not having a good time in life. But geez.

I run into her all the time and I really never liked her anyway, now I just want to sever ties all together.

I need to vent or hit a pillow or something! :rant:

The saddest part? My son is doing really well with the I See Sam books. Bless whichever mom on here recommended those great books to me. My son is progressing and that's what I'm looking for. I know he's been feeling better.

I don't know if he heard the woman's comment or not.

Thanks for listening,

Alley

:grouphug:That stinks. Mean old bat.

The saddest part? My son is doing really well with the I See Sam books. Bless whichever mom on here recommended those great books to me. My son is progressing and that's what I'm looking for. I know he's been feeling better.

Me! Me!

I'm so glad you're happy with them. They were great for my son.

I think you need to practice the withering look and then say, "He's dyslexic." This is remarkably effective at shutting people up and making them feel stoopid (unless they're really jerks and don't care about people with disabilities). I guess that's useful to know too, so you can avoid them.

Perry!!! How could I have forgotten that you were the great person who referred me to I See Sam books?!

Thank you so much!!!!! My son is really doing well with them.

Any advice for what to do after these books?

Alley

There are 8 sets that go up to about a 4th grade reading level.

This is the 7 year old in your siggie? Pass the bean dip.

Tons of 7 year olds don't read. And you've found what works for your ds. That's really all that matters.

:iagree: I know plenty of kids 7,8,9, who don't read or don't read well enough - and they don't have a condition that would cause it, and they go to public school.

I agree with another poster - master a few looks; the surprised-that-anyone-could-say-something-so-off-color look is a good one for this occasion.:)