Menu

Do you schedule out our dc's day? If so I would LOVE to see it

We are going to have a FULL year next year..at home and outside the house.

I am trying to figure out how I am going to go about scheduling dc's day.

Here is what we have going on next year

7th grade:

AT HOME

Saxon 87

Apologia General

R&S 7

Sonlight 7 w/Bible

Wordly Wise

Rosetta Stone French I

OUTSIDE EVENTS:

Monday's Band

Tuesday Baseball--8wks fall/spring

Wednesday Kayaking 6wks fall/spring and Church

Thursday Co-op---Creative writing, Sculpting and Oil painting

Friday Kayaking 6wks fall/spring

9th grade:

AT HOME:

Saxon Alg II

Apologia Biology

Sonlight 100(1st semester) finishing last 19wks

Around the World in 180 days and Mapping the world with Art(2nd semester)

R&S Grammar 8

Wordly Wise

Rosetta Stone Greek I

Online Writing Class

Health

Bible--not using Sonlight

Keyboarding..maybe 15 mins a day??

OUTSIDE:

Monday: Band and Math tutor

Tuesday: Baseball 8wks fall/spring

Wednesday: Kayak 6wks fall/spring

Thursday: Co-op--Speech, Debate, Preforming Lit(?) and Lab Class

Friday: Kayak 6wks fall/spring

Is this even possible??? The only thing I think I can give up is baseball...BUT I am the one that has started putting this together!:001_unsure: I didn't think this out before I started this!!!!

By the way all of the outside events will go on during normal school hours

I could not possibly live with an outside schedule like that!

I have outside plans only three days / week (one day music lessons for 12yo ds & 14yo ds) and one day for speech and debate. The third day is my 10yo ds's music lesson - the older two stay home and work on school. This is all we can manage... and it does not include doctors, dentist, orthodontist, errands, etc...

If all of the outside activities occur during traditional school hours, then I would have to consider that you may have to use some non-traditional school hours for your school work.

The other thing you could consider is what would be portable, that could get done in the car (studying spelling words?). Also, are the activities at the same time for each child? What can you and one child work on while the other has their activity?

Can it be done? Sure! You may just need to get creative as to what/where "school" looks like.

If all of the outside activities occur during traditional school hours, then I would have to consider that you may have to use some non-traditional school hours for your school work.

The other thing you could consider is what would be portable, that could get done in the car (studying spelling words?). Also, are the activities at the same time for each child? What can you and one child work on while the other has their activity?

Can it be done? Sure! You may just need to get creative as to what/where "school" looks like.

Yes all of the outside activities, except band is done at the same time for both dc. Band my dd is 1hr later than ds.

We do our best to get math and grammar done before we leave the house. This seems to have worked this year, but we only were out 3 days a wk..not 5.

I truly think by this age they should be able to have a list of what is required each day and they should be able to work their way through their own list. Only schedule the things you specifically have to meet with or work with them on so you have time for both of them.

I would never have that many activities, it makes me tired just reading it!!

I would figure out how much school needs to get finished in a week, give a week's worth of assignments at one time with a Friday afternoon deadline. Anything not done moves to the weekend. My dd (10th grade) has started school on Sunday night, gotten up very early, and stayed up late knocking out the school (not all three at once). If you don't like weekend school, then pick between getting up at 6, or staying up til 11 or 12.

We've got a ton of things going on next year too... but we're trying something a little different that might help. DS has six outside classes - two maths (Art of Problem Solving - online), Latin online, Spanish class, Literature discussion group, and a History of Science class. Plus flute lessons. And a math club. I have no idea how the math club is going to fit.... Then we have Marine Biology and Economics at home.

So to keep everything more or less in balance, I scheduled the science and economics as though they were classes - one on Tuesday and one on Thursday, and worked out a rough "homework" schedule that gives him about four hours of homework for each class each week. It's not set in stone, but it carves out time that is available as needed.... a total of about 40 hours for the week (including the class times, and daily time for reading and flute practice). And I wrote it out as though it were set in stone -- specific times for specific classes - just because I like to know that, for instance, he has time for Latin homework in between his two Latin class meetings, and another block set aside before the review session.

Your issue seems a bit different just because your outside committments are primarily sports, so you're fitting more schoolwork around them than I am (since the bulk of DS's schoolwork next year will be his outside classes!) but you might find if you try to write out the schedule that it gives you a better feel for what you're fitting in where, and what the specific challenges are going to be.

Personally, I think I would be on burn out after just half a year of this schedule. If they were in elementary, then no problem. But jr. high and high school demands so much more book time. I would think it would be challenging for them as well. I think you've got the right idea to have them get the most difficult work done in the morning, but I still think it would be hard to fit it all in. Is the schedule for classes at all flexible that you could schedule most things on the same day as co-op? Then you could just adapt to a four day school schedule, and make that the day for outside pursuits.

Have you thought about asking your son if he'd be willing to do the keyboarding this summer? I know it's not something that takes a lot of time, but it would make his other assignments easier if he was already very comfortable and fairly fast at typing.

If you dropped just the kayaking, you'd have two days home every week. But it sounds like that's a priority. Maybe the math could be moved to the co-op day?

I have been thinking about waiting until the summer to do a few of the classes--Health and keyboarding

I don't want to add anything else this summer, because we are covering math--we changed curriculums in January so they are behind now.

Kayaking is a big thing for both of them. If I would sign them up for the league they would do it in a heart beat, but I won't---5 days a week and you have to be there at 7am-10am.

I can't change the math tutor time---she is an individual that is doing it at no charge--so I have to do it when she wants to.

Like your sons, my daughter (going into 10th grade) will have a very full schedule with spring & fall sports plus a heavy academic schedule. The key for us is to start some of the courses during the summer, use the weekends to get ahead/catch up on reading and writing assignments during the spring & fall, and really push the academics during the off-sports season. She is also planning to block schedule 4 of her subjects rather than try to fit in all 6 subjects every day. Depending on where she stands in preparing for her AP’s, she may have to drop either rowing or sailing in the spring.

While your outside activities seem extremely heavy on first glance, I think it probably looks worse than it really is because of the sheer variety of activities. It’s not unusual for high school students to have outside activities that consume 2-3 hours a day year-round (all of the competitive swimmers or serious musicians, for example), and they make it work. Other kids may not have this time commitment to outside activities but may spend their free time watching TV, surfing the web or hanging out with friends. It’s all about personal choices and trade-offs. Since you asked for daily schedules, I’ve included my daughter’s below. Hope this helps!

Nancy

DD’s academics for next year:

Chalkdust Pre-Calculus (plus SAT II exam in June)

Campbell’s Exploring Life Biology (She did Chem in 9th)

AP Environmental Science (self study)

AP European History (self study)

British Literature (online with Laurel Tree—Rebekkah Randolph)

Grammar Review/Vocabulary

German II/start III (online with OSU)

Outside Activities (Sept-Mid Nov. and Mid. March-May):

High School Sailing at local Sailing & Rowing Club (Tues & Thurs) 3hrs/day plus 1 hr travel time

High School Rowing at local Sailing & Rowing Club (M,W, F) 3 hrs/day plus 30 min. travel time

Volunteer Work (est. 3 hrs/ week) during off-sports season

This is her tentative daily schedule:

Mon-Thurs (just under 7 hrs/day):

Pre-Calculus 1.5 hrs. daily (Start in July to complete before June SAT II)

German 1 hr daily

Grammar/Vocabulary 20 minutes daily

Bio/AP Env. Science* 2 hr block alternating days

Literature/AP History* 2 hr block alternating days

*Start AP courses in early August to complete by end of March to allow time for AP review

Friday:

Pre-Calc 1.5 hrs

Bio/Env. Science Lab: 2 hrs

History writing lab 2 hrs

Literature 1.5 hrs

Weekends:

AP and British lit reading

Unfortunately, I can relate, though I think our out of house schedule is even worse than what you are proposing. My kids are involved in a sport where that is taking us from our house from 11:00-3:00 3-4 (usually 4 unless I just can't manage the 4th day) times per week plus Monday afternoons they are involved in a volunteer group at church and our 14 yos goes from there to Boy Scouts. Ouch! It does hurt our school day significantly! (and that doesn't count the training they are doing at home on the treadmill, etc)

This yr we coped by starting school at 5 am and catching up on weekends. However, b/c of my having an emergency c-sec, my 10th grader got even farther behind b/c I really needed her help w/the daily stuff that is normally all mine. All the other kids finished last week. She still has about 5-6weeks left in 3 subjects.

We are re-vamping our schedules for next yr so that on our really busy days (like Monday), we only do core subjects. For the first time ever we are going to do yr round schooling. We will be doing 2-3 hrs of school work M-F throughout the summer except for our couple of weeks of vacation. My rising 11th grader is going to completely finish her health credit over the summer as well as get ahead in the 2 science courses she wants to take (anatomy/physiology and advanced biology). My rising 9th grader will be completing a math credit over the summer (but still taking another one next yr) but will also complete a health credit and get ahead chemistry and history.

My younger kids are going to rotate between math, LA, and history throughout the summer.

FWIW.....I never, ever planned on getting involved in anything like this. However, they love the sport and one is pretty gifted. As long as they are willing to do what it takes to keep up academically, then I am open to their continuing. So far they have definitely demonstrated that type of commitment. As I stated, they have managed to keep up except for my oldest dd and it was really my fault that she got so far behind.

HTH

WE couldn't have a schedule like that because since those outside classes are during class time then you'd have to half your school times. Which would mean that we would be doing those days until the nighttime and I just couldn't handle that. That's just us though. I wouldn't enjoy all those days that full. If it were a day or two a week, maybe, but not every day.

So to keep everything more or less in balance, I scheduled the science and economics as though they were classes

THANK YOU for this great little tidbit -- this will *definitely* help us next year when we will be doing some school at home, a homeschool co-op class, a community college class, and several outside-the-home activities at specific scheduled times! Thanks for being a life-saver! Warmest regards, Lori D.